Dual Sporting in Baja - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Dual Sporting in Baja

Planning to take my motorcycle to san diego and then on a five day ride south through baja. I'm ordering a book with a gps coordinates to the trails and I'm going to plan a route off that data. I was wondering if anyone has been in that area and has some recommendations? Places no to go? horror stories? thanks
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
Planning to take my motorcycle to san diego and then on a five day ride south through baja. I'm ordering a book with a gps coordinates to the trails and I'm going to plan a route off that data. I was wondering if anyone has been in that area and has some recommendations? Places no to go? horror stories? thanks
i want to do this, i'm very jealous! What kind of bike are you going to be riding? I've been looking at dual sports for awhile...
i really want one of these!
http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2008/EN_TE510.html
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Yeah, what he said!

What bike? You sound like you're riding TO Cali from (?) NY... The comfort of a GS? The Jeep... err, Rover of bikes, the KLR? How about a KTM? They'd be my first choice if I didn't want to take the Multi (which I'd prefer to do).

I'm sure you're on http://www.advrider.com or at least reading there? Seperate the wheat from the chaff and there are some gems to be had.

I'm torn between simple jealousy and outright hatred (jealousy again...). Please, tell us more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2007, 01:19 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

The best advice I can give- don't go it alone on a bike. My brother and I rode to Guatemala, Belize, and the Yukitan and back and had many interesting confrontations- got to look at the wrong end of too many AK47's. Once they were shooting into the air to get us to wheelie- me on a GS1150 and my brother on a Road King. Anyway, Baja will be more used to the bikes, and it should be a great time. I would recommend the BMW GS650, '03 to '05, reliable, simple design, light enough, fast enough, and comfortable. Or a new KTM 990 Adventure. I had a KLR and they are fine, but eventually you will spend more in add ons than you could have gotten the Beemer for to start. Especially if you are riding from NY- anybody can drive and trailer............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Not going alone. Taking girlfriend, her step dad, and her brother. The bike is DR-Z 400 S. As much as I would like to take the rover x-country, I just don't have the time right now so the bike is being shipped. BMWs are great bikes but I'm not looking to take the road. My planned route was all off-road which is apparently possible down there. I rode a 1200 GS in Europe all over the Alps for about a month, love the bike. However I don't care what anyone says, they are not off-road capable. Simply too heavy, the 650 is all right for fire roads but not for single track or anything mildly aggressive. My girlfriend has a Kawasaki KLX 250 that she is going to ride. My concerns are finding fuel. My bike only gets 100 miles to a tank and I think the DR-Z is better on gas than the other bikes in the group. I have to ask what the circumstances were that landed you on the business end of an AK-47?.... then how do I avoid it!
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Not going alone. Taking girlfriend, her step dad, and her brother. The bike is DR-Z 400 S. As much as I would like to take the rover x-country, I just don't have the time right now so the bike is being shipped. BMWs are great bikes but I'm not looking to take the road. My planned route was all off-road which is apparently possible down there. I rode a 1200 GS in Europe all over the Alps for about a month, love the bike. However I don't care what anyone says, they are not off-road capable. Simply too heavy, the 650 is all right for fire roads but not for single track or anything mildly aggressive. My girlfriend has a Kawasaki KLX 250 that she is going to ride. My concerns are finding fuel. My bike only gets 100 miles to a tank and I think the DR-Z is better on gas than the other bikes in the group. I have to ask what the circumstances were that landed you on the business end of an AK-47?.... then how do I avoid it!
I know you could get a much larger tank for the dr-z's and the klx's, it makes handling alittle more awkward, but could save you pushing a bike 25 miles to find gas...
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:01 PM
rovertrader
Dale

I concur w/ the larger tank. We had to siphen often from the GS to the HD. I didn't realize you were doing it all offroad- my bad. It may be worth running a support truck w/ fuel, etc. Also, that allows the driver/rider to trade off- just a thought, depends on the experience levels.
The AK was costant through the border areas of Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize- usually Gorilla, and road blocks searching for drugs. They would empty the bags/gear and leave us to put it back together. The only local issue was getting pulled over in Mexico City by an officer not wearing a helmet, giving my brother a ticket for no helmet- and cash on the spot.
On another note, remember you have to have a driver for each vehicle, otherwise they assume you are selling the 'extra' vehicle to dodge import duties. I have had friends have to leave their tow vehicle at the border- not the best location.
Lastly, there is a place you need to find- I think it is Mike's Sky Ranch, not sure, and could be way off, but it is legendary in Baja.
Have a great trip, and keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:48 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Since the bikes are going to be fitted with saddle bags I was thinking I would simply carry a spare gallon. I know there are bigger tanks but I would prefer not to have weight up that high considering the plan is to follow tight single track as much as we can. Mike's Sky Ranch is certainly in the route plan. I don't know anything about it but everyone recommends it. If I'm not following the road do you think I will be running into a lot of people?
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Tried to PM, but your box is full. Doubtful on seeing many people- but never ride at night.

I'll send my phone # if you want to chitchat.

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:09 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Since the bikes are going to be fitted with saddle bags I was thinking I would simply carry a spare gallon. I know there are bigger tanks but I would prefer not to have weight up that high considering the plan is to follow tight single track as much as we can. Mike's Sky Ranch is certainly in the route plan. I don't know anything about it but everyone recommends it. If I'm not following the road do you think I will be running into a lot of people?
carrying a gallon of gas in a saddlebag is probably worse then having the larger tank, i had a dr 350 with what i think was a 3.5 gallon tank on it, i don't remember the mileage we'd get bc we never even came close to stretching the limits of that tank (even on 100+ mile days) it wasn't in the way and bc the bike wasn't a race rocket(we still rode it like one) you hardly noticed the extra weight... on my kdx 200 the larger tank definetly was noticeable though, of course that thing was a race machine!
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:23 AM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

Contact Jim Newman at the http://www.therovergroup.com/ He rides down there and does tours
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Question regarding paperwork. Reading an online site about taking a car into mexico an they say you need a registration, insurance(mexican), and a copy of the title. Two of the bikes will be off-road only thus will not have registrations. Less of a big deal but I lost my title, do I really need to go deal with DMV or can I get by without it? Lastly most of the guide books I plan on following don't follow roads across the border, some of them actually follow the baja 1000 course. How does the border crossing work when on trails??

Thanks for the contact info, I will try shooting Jim an email.
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Question regarding paperwork. Reading an online site about taking a car into mexico an they say you need a registration, insurance(mexican), and a copy of the title. Two of the bikes will be off-road only thus will not have registrations. Less of a big deal but I lost my title, do I really need to go deal with DMV or can I get by without it? Lastly most of the guide books I plan on following don't follow roads across the border, some of them actually follow the baja 1000 course. How does the border crossing work when on trails??

Thanks for the contact info, I will try shooting Jim an email.
Not that i've ever done it, but i could imagine a nightmare scenario of your bikes getting confisgated at the border... call the place where you bought them and ask for a duplicate, or even the manufacturer.
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Trip is coming together but have run into a small snag. I need to build some tracks on my gps but I have a mac. I am having a hard time finding software compatible. I need to load the topo map software onto a Garmin 5. Any thoughts?

Follow-up Post:

nevermind.. i found one
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
My suggestion is to make Garmin maps and load those. There is no way there is enough room for decent tracks in the saved track area.....
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Yeah that's my plan actually. I wasn't aware the Garmin stuff is now mac compatible. Hopefully it will work out..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat