Driving the 300Tdi and thanks! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 24th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Driving the 300Tdi and thanks!

Wanted to finally post an official "Thanks" to everyone that offered help and encouragement on our install of the the 300Tdi into my 95 D90. Other than sorting a couple of minor issues, I have been using it for the past week and really enjoying it...Plenty of power, and my first tank of fuel netted me 28mpg...The thing really attracts attention too...I mean more than usual. I've had several Europeans and one fellow from Africa stop next to me in traffic and ask if it was really a Tdi and how the hell did I get it over here...they all seemed to get a big kick out of seeing one in the US...a few old guard diesel guys driving Mercs and a VWs have also asked if it was diesel with a big thumbs up from each...particular thanks need to be offered to my friend Glenn Harris who did the actual heavy lifting on the install and Mike at ECR for giving me the specific color codes to solve my wiring harness problem and to Matt and Pendy for their sage advice...also, of course George at RDS for having the parts I needed (and should have had in the kit!) and Les over at RN...Thanks to all with their support and particularly the existing dieselers on the list...without all of you it wouldn't be on the road!
George
ps
for those of you in the Chicago area who are interested, Glenn is a pro Rover Tech who
actually got a kick out of doing this and would be willing to do it again! If you want contact info
let me know via PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300logo.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	6087   Click image for larger version

Name:	300ECU.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	6088  

Click image for larger version

Name:	300med.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	6089  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2006, 06:15 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Looks like you did an awesome job! for us guys who are still in the dreme about it stage- how does it compare to the 3.9 noise wise, power take off, cruisin' , hwy, and off rd (I can just imagine) ?

Marc
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:35 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
George, looks great.. One thing to check is the 3/4 water hose that runs over the top of the serpintine belt. check the clearance and if its too close, bend the bracket up a little. My belt rubbed through my hose and it was a pain in the ass.. I since put an extender on the hose to make it a little longer to solve the problem..
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Marc, in terms of quiet power, V8 is the way to go...Tdi is noisy (but I like the sound) and so far I have to keep it under 3000 rpm so can't really say how quick it is...but it gets up to 70mph at 2400rpm easily and does great, no problem...but the V8 is, just in a quick comparison, much more of a performer from a "punch and go" style of driving...haven't been off road yet so don't know that either. I will say that this would be a great platform to teach someone how to drive stick shift...can't kill it!
Randy, will check that hose clearance, thanks!
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:56 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Looking great George! You've just made me very jealous.
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:12 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Sounds good George. "you lucky dog!"
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:51 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Looks great George. I would love to convert to a diesel, but I would also love to keep some money in my pocket for the time being. Being down here in Champaign I just might get around to looking up Glenn and discussing the conversion issue sometime.
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:34 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Good work man, thats some satisfying stuff when that diesel starts up the first time. Many happy miles ahead for sure.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:00 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Wow 28mpg D90, that sounds really good. I can only get 29.6 in my TT and that's a small car. Looks great.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

That's the difference between the efficiency of the diesel fuel molecule compared to the gasoline molecule. More "bang for your buck" from compression-ignition technology.
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

My only thing with the 300 TDI is how long it would take you to pay it off? Are you saving enough money on fuel that you will cover the cost of the conversion in small amount of years?

I was looking at the VW Passat TDI but the diesel prices were to high to consider, it's almost as expensive as the premium. That's why I went with the TT.

I'm curies to know what's the best mpg can a 300 TDI get in a D90 with out 4 wheel burn outs
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:10 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

yeah, the cost of diesel is high, although around here it is about as much as mid-grade and my Audi A4 needs the premium or it starts to knock, so that gets pricey. Those Passat TDI's are sweet though, lots 'o torque and decent gas mileage on a pretty good size car. What is going to be amazing is the Audi diesels that are rumored to be offered in the US next year. I hope that one engine they bring over is their twin turbocharged, 4.2 Liter V8 diesel. It's the most powerful diesel ever in a passenger car and it gets darn near 40 mpg on the freeway! Here's a great Top Gear episode with that engine in the A8 (the biggest sedan Audi makes). He drives it from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank of diesel! That's 800 miles on one tank.
Part 1 =
Part 2 =

And you know the technology is spot on too because Audi has been stomping all over the Le Mans circuits in their new TDI racecar =>

And one last plug for Audi diesels... yes, that was right around 300Km/h = 180mph in a diesel.
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Yousef,
I don't think the finances will work out if you're expecting to pay off the conversion with savings on fuel...that would take many years. As I've said before I did it because (1) I like diesels (2) I'd rather flow more money to Rover suppliers and less to the oil companies (3) less opportunity for Lord Lucas to stall me on the side of the road and (4) a longer range for every tank of fuel...like I said I got 28mpg with the first tank which means I have to pull over to fill up a lot less (is it a 15 gallon tank? then 420 mile range)
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Regular diesel fuel around here is currently just under the price of regular gasoline - about $2.87/gal - biodiesel from the oil company across the street from where I work is about the same price. When I was in there last week thay said they were changing suppliers and expected the price of their biodiesl to drop between 15- 20 cents a gallon. For a short while before their present supplier went up on his prices the biodiesel was 50 cents a gallon cheaper than regular diesel. Its awful to say but I'm looking forward to getting back down to the $2.70/gallon price range for fuel.

And I still remember when diesel fuel in Mexico was under 18 cents/gallon in the middle 70's....
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Yeah, you won't really get any monetary benefit out of it, your grandkids might, but you won't.

That is unless you made it run on vegetable oil.... ahem
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:08 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I was waiting to get my life in order and I'm finally back on track. Now I'm looking to either put a TD5 in the Disco or just sell it and buy a 110 or maybe a 90 and put a TDI in it. I'm just trying to decide on what I want to do. When I saw the 28 mpg I've been spending my day Defender shopping. I'm just getting tired with my Disco's mpg. I just feel depressed when I drive it since my car gets almost 30 and my bike gets 55 mpg, so 12 is a little depressing. I'm anxious to see how better your mpg will get George. I have no idea why I totally agree with you on the number 2 reason
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:12 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My Tdi has settled into an average of about 25mpg with mixed use, and I usually drive it 65 on the highway. My wife drives slow, so she can get 28, but I've never done that.
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Maybe I am completely off but I think the economic personal benefits can be real. I drive about 7-8,000 miles a year on mine as my only driver. At 8000 miles getting 13 mpg and paying about 3.25 for premium I pay exactly $2000 per year. A 300tdi kit at 6500 plus 3500 for installation if you use a shop gets you to 10,000. Say you sell off your v8 parts for $1000 you are out 9 grand. If you wanted to really stick it to the man make your own biodiesel or find someone with a appleseed reactor and you can make a gallon for 75 cents. At 25 mpg you would be spending less than $250 a year. Add the reactor cost at 500 and you still save about $1250 the first year alone. If you went on to do it for years to come you'd save at least 1500 a year so within 5 or 6 years it adds up. Not to mention everyone's trucks are at least going on 10 years old and going up to 13. I don't know about you guys but at least every 6 months an O2 censor, cats, etc go and have to be replaced. While everyone may not drive as much as I or want to do biodiesel its sure a viable alternative.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:13 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

^^^ Very true and although that would be my dream, it's not feasible for most of the population. On that note though, even a B20 biodiesel blend around here is quite a bit cheaper than even regular gas. Regular just got bumped up to $2.89 around here and B20 is about $2.75. So, that small savings per gallon plus the fuel economy could add up pretty fast although it wouldn't be as big of a benefit of making your own biodiesel or adding a veggie kit.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

You know, I just happened to find out today that Illinois has a rebate program for those that buy and use biodiesel...not sure of the details but it is a per gallon cash rebate for using it and it varies with the percentage of biodiesel (B20, etc.)...I will look into it but perhaps many US states have similar programs which cuts the price per gallon by something...check your local state EPA website and see what you find. Just one more possibility for diesel users...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
300tdi, tdi, vin