Driving the 300Tdi and thanks! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Guys,

It's important to keep in mind that 28 mpg while entirely possible is really unlikely. If you get a TDi the chances of you not tweaking it for performance are really minimal. I don't really know any human that is willing to drop 10g's on a engine and then not twist a skrew to get 20% more power with almost no downside (minus fuel economy).

Then, what are the odds that you pimp out a truck like a Defender with a frekin cool engine that generates phat torque and take off the line like a hadicap woman? When I got my engine cranked up and the gears in there the front end would lift under hard acceleration like a champ. Every red light on the street was an attempt to get the front end off the ground. I averaged about 15 mpg....max.

I'm not saying anything negative at all about the conversion, but just stay realistic. If you want good fuel economy, the best way is with a Prius. Good luck guys.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2006, 10:19 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Well, after hearing the consumer reports on hybrids, I don't know if a Prius is the best idea.... but that's another discussion.

I do agree with you though, I would tweak the crap out of any diesel I put in the Rover, lol! Thanks for bringing us all back to our roots Buckon! :D
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Well, I leave my speed needs for the track with my other car and enjoy driving my Rover for economy and utility...different horses for different courses. I guarantee I will leave the speed screw unturned...
but, everybody owns these trucks for different reasons. Keeps it interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2006, 07:22 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

The best way to get fuel economy is with a motorcycle - guys riding BMW F650's for instance regularly report getting 65 mpg as an average.

Second best way is with a VW diesel - one of our club members drives a 2003 Jetta Tdi that has averaged 54 mpg since he drove it off the showroom floor - admittedly he drives like an old woman - just putts along 5 mph below the speed limit - but thats what he bought it for - way better than any Prius will do. I've talked to many VW diesel owners that report mileage in the 44-50 mpg range.

I'm getting around 25 mpg with my 300 Tdi - I've gotten as high as 27 mpg with my old 2.25 NA diesel 109 when it was freshly rebuilt - last time I ran it (before the trasnmission broke) it was getting around 22-23 mpg.
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Guys,

I was just joking about the Prius. I wouldn't wish that car on my worst enemy.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:16 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Dude I got passed by a Prius on my way to Keith one time, I was driving the Disco and was doing 85 mph. Talk about impressments.

I know I'm for one would leave the screw untouched if I ever end up with a TDI. If I want speed I've got two vehicles in my garage that I can do that with. I just want a LR that can do 25+ mpg.
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:12 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

But Yousef, wouldn't you like to be able to do wheelies on your bike and your Rover?
Old July 27th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Dude I got passed by a Prius on my way to Keith one time, I was driving the Disco and was doing 85 mph. Talk about impressments.

I know I'm for one would leave the screw untouched if I ever end up with a TDI. If I want speed I've got two vehicles in my garage that I can do that with. I just want a LR that can do 25+ mpg.

Then its a perfect motor for you. But, I never got over 22 mpg even without the tweak. You really have to drive slow to get the 28.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:16 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Me too David... I get about 21mpg. thats prob due to my NJ driving habits too... IF you are not aggressive, you get run off the road...
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
better than the 14 or 15 i get. 6-10 around town
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

I don't think I drive unusually slow but am still pulling 28mpg (and am hoping for more!)...due to previous run ins with the local constabulary and my lack of enthusiasm for roadside conversation with the police, I have developed the habit of pretty much sticking to the speed limits (plus maybe 5 or 10mph if things look clear ;^) and most of it is 40mph...weekends I use the tollway at about 70mph...the only thing I don't do is "jackrabbit" starts to beat out the boy racers from the lights...like I said, I get plenty of speed on the track. With the V8 I too was barely reaching 10mpg no matter what.
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
One of the cool things about the Tdi is that, an EGR gauge is a very accurate corrollary to your fuel consumption. I find that running at 650 degrees yields right around 25 mpg. The lower I run it, the better the economy. Running at 850 usually gets me around 20-21 (that when doign mountain passes and pulling trailers). Sometimes just being heavy with the right foot will easily drive the temps to 750 and that serves as an excellent reminder that I'm paying extra for not taking it easy.
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Gotta get one of those EGR things...I still have my Banks gauge from my GMC truck...just need to get an exhaust probe...
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The VDO guage comes with an exhaust probe. i just drilled a hole in the EGR plate and had someone weld the bung on for me.

Follow-up Post:

I meant to write "EGT" my first post. Duh.

EGR - Exhaust gas recirculation

EGT - Exhaust gas temperature
Old July 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Okay so when is everyone gonna start putting them in?

My TD5 goes in this fall...

Lets show these fuel companies where they can shove their profits....

Assume everyone with 3.9 is getting 18MPG (I know you're not but..) 10 MPG better? There might actually be a payback now that fuel prices are going up so high... And I don't think they are going to stop...

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
300tdi, tdi, vin