Old June 26th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I don't get the point of this thread. By using the term maniac in the title you sort of make admission that you are being somewhat reckless. I don't care if you are in a Rover or what, I don't want you on my road.
And turn down that devil music while your at it. Oh, and pull up your pants too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 01:52 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Running late for somewhere you need to be is one, and just cutting down travel time in general.

Say you have a 10 mile trip, and your late. Speed limit is 60mph (lets just say) so your trip should be 10 minutes.

Now if you break the speed limit, by lets say 15mph, your going to get there in about 7:30, a saving of 2:30 A speeding ticket for going 15mph is going to cost you roughly $200-350 depending on where you live, not to mention any points and associated increases w/ your insurance possibly. O yea and your probably burning abotu 15% more gas.

to me its just not worth it. If i'm going to be 7min30s late, I can be 10min late.

Also - driving an extra 5-10mph on the highway isn't driving like a maniac, how much time are you really going to save taking a turn (which is roughly 1-2secons of travel time) at 55mph instead of 45mph? fractions of a second.

Soooo to me personally, driving like a maniac to save time doesn't make sense. Infact, stretch that over a tank of gas and your probably likely to come out even, since you'll be filling up more often then if you just drove at normal speeds.
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Arjun
Arjun
None

I hate taking fast corners in my 110 - the body roll is always disconcerting.

Since I have a lardass Tdi, top speed is never an issue for me - getting passed by big rigs is just a way of life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
Was not disagreeing the the premise that speeding/reckless driving is bad....I was disagreeing with this comment:

"Once you've driven on a racetrack you realize there is no point driving fast on the street anymore."

Obviously, Lewis Hamilton, Damon Hill, etc, etc. have driven on a track more and better than any of us and it did not make them realize driving fast on the street was pointless.

Driving on a track does not instantly change your attitude towards driving fast on the road.

Personally, I have no self control so I buy slow, lumbering British vehicles so that even if I drive them as fast as they are capable...it is still not very fast :-)

...and I have driven fast cars both on and off track...

I guess it just comes down to each person. When I was younger (heck i'm only 27 now), I had taken my car up to 150, my bike 155-160, and i thought it was cool.

Then I got into open track events, and I realzied driving 150mph down a straight is so much more boring than having your eyeballs come out of your socket when you stomp on the brakes, or hitting a perfect turn in, apex, track out and being able to control your car with just miniature inputs from your right foot, or having just the right slip angle through a turn etc.....

Sure I've gotten pulled over for speeding since i started driving on the track, but never b/c I was driving like a maniac. Usually b/c I missed the sign that dropped it down from 55-45 and kept on cruising at 55-60. Shit happens, and usually, they let me off as they know it wasn't done on purpose

Not to mention, next time your driving down the highway look over at the other drivers, see how totally unaware they are, and how they have absolutely no idea WTF they are doing. I'm a driving instructor with the group i run open track with, when i'm on the track myself, i'm with the most skilled drivers in the organization (other instructors), and still, sometimes, there are incidents. Now, take "maniac" like speeds, couple that with some 16yr old girl putting on make up and texting her friends, some drunk guy coming home from a bar etc etc and your asking for trouble. It doesn't even have to be your fault, you have to assume everyone else on the road has no clue what they are doing (always rode my motorcycle with that notion in my head). And when your vehicle is already on its performance limit b/c you want to drive like a maniac, and have to make a drastic maneauver, your going to push it over its limit and your going to crash. On the street you should be driving and 3-4 tenths of what the vehicle can do, leaving you the other 6-7 tenths or traction/handling/braking whatever in reserve should you need it.

On the track, I drive at 10/10ths (and sometimes over), but when I go over, and I spin or go off track, the environment is set up so that no harm is done (run off area, barriers, etc), where as on a road, when you go over, its usually something hard and un forgiving or breathing (innocent person), thats going to bear the brunt of your 11th tenth.

Hope this make sense, I'm not trying to preach. I'm a speed junky myself, but for $200 a day (less than a speeding ticket) you can have 100x more fun and be 100x more safe

If anyone in the northeast is looking to get out on a track with a car let me know. I'd be happy to get you some info for your first track day. You dont need a corvette or a viper, any car is fine. I've seen people in everything from jeep cherokees to lamborgini's
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:53 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

O.k. on this thread some of you are going way overboard on conservatism.

Refined question maybe to place in a poll in order to add clarity to the post

How do you drive your 90:

1. very conservatively - I always obey the speed limit and always take corners at the recommended speed as posted.

2. not too conservatively - I sometimes exceed the speed limit when necessary to pass and may at times enter a corner at a speed higher then recommended.

3. know or believe you are in touch with the limits of your vehicle - Dependent upon traffic, traffic enforcement I may exceed the posted speed limit and may at times test my suspension out on corners by entering them or exiting them at a higher the posted speed and dependent upon conditions such as weather, traffic, and consideration of what I may be carrying which would have an effect on the handling of the vehicle or

4. push the limits on your vehicle without regard to condition of the vehicle, its handling capabilities, traffic or other.

For me - I fall in #3 - I believe I know most of the limit of my 90 and enjoy driving there often without endengering the lives of those around me or the lives of my passengers and including not going near the pucker factor. Anyone else?

If I would like to feel the rush of doing 0-60 rather quickly I drive my wife's R. Since I purchased a Volvo (which is my 5th) safety is of upmost concern.
AND I firmly believe that THE most important items on a vechicle is brakes, suspension and excellent tires first and foremost above speed.
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Santiago Montenegr
Santiago Montenegro
98 110 CSW 300 TDi

Registry
BTW, I do consider my SWB series to handle quite well for what it is, specially with the top off. I can play sports car with it for minutes at a time. But the Defender, really... I can't think of another car in which it is less ejoyable to try to take curves at speed. Or more likely to end up in its roof if you fool tooo much with it.
Old June 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
who drives their 90 ... like a sports car. ... the thing handles well with or without swaybars ... I am always tossing it into corners.

Really? Really!!?? HAHAHAHAHAHA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDeWan sports car 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	53528   Click image for larger version

Name:	CDeWan sports car 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	53529  

Old June 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago Montenegr
BTW, I do consider my SWB series to handle quite well for what it is, specially with the top off. I can play sports car with it for minutes at a time. But the Defender, really... I can't think of another car in which it is less ejoyable to try to take curves at speed. Or more likely to end up in its roof if you fool tooo much with it.
To that point. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned where I truly do enjoy driving it with out any desire to go fast in the least bit
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:15 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I hope that all those admitting freely to driving recklessly don't get in any accidents involving people that anybody on the board knows because you're not really negligent anymore seeing as you know exactly what you're doing(probably the difference between a little bit of money and a lot or a little bit of jail and a lot. I'm no lawyer though so ask them about the implications). Endangering lives is dumb no matter how late you are or how fun it seems.

I'm sure everybody knows about ever changing laws regarding what you can and cannot do to your vehicle as far as modification goes. Just remember that when you get in an accident and kill somebody or yourself there is a possibility that some dumb lobbyist is going to push forward some shitty law or proposal that makes it illegal to put a lift on your truck or change the tires from the OEM tires, etc. which will ruin this hobby for everybody. Want to push your vehicle to it's limit? Go to a controlled environment where there aren't bystanders who could be harmed by your recklessness.

Comments defending dumb actions sound like this, "Oh I'm totally 100% safe when I exceed the speed limit and push my vehicle to it's max and totally don't increase the possibility of somebody else being harmed if I were to lose control or they were to not see me because I won't lose control and they are paying 100% attention and I'm safe 100% of the time because I know my limits because I'm the man, but when I really want to be reckless I drive something faster than a Defender." Seriously? At least Adrian gets it.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Just remember that when you get in an accident and kill somebody or yourself
I think you mean if
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:46 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I think you mean if
Nope. That statement was inclusive of actually getting in an accident and killing somebody. So I meant when. There would be no ground to stand on for a lobbyist to push forth some sort of proposal if the statement were if. The rest of the sentence wouldn't make sense the way I wanted it to.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:32 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I drive WOT 90% of the time...right to the speed limit.
Probably could be called driving like a maniac (depending on your perception.)
It sounds loud and jostles you around...but I like the sound of a revving Rover V8.
Is it dangerous? NOT AT ALL. I am in a D90...it is SLOW.
People need to chill...driving a D90 like a "maniac" is still SLOW.
I would LIKE to speed a little bit on the interstate...but it is really hard to do.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:46 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
I hate taking fast corners in my 110 - the body roll is always disconcerting.

Since I have a lardass Tdi, top speed is never an issue for me - getting passed by big rigs is just a way of life.
I switched from a CJ8 to a 110. I was used to no body roll due to the stiff leaf springs - if the body was tipping, so were the tires Even after two years of 110 ownership and I know it's not going to tip, it's still sometimes unnerves me; I guess it keeps me a bit conservative around corners.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I feel like the speeding implies by the OP is not as fast as the guys who are saying speed kills unless it is on a track are talking about. I doubt he means that he is taking a corner at 30mph more than the intended rate of speed, or that he is topping his defender out in a crowded interstate.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:49 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
My z445 handles like a dream until I take a sharp turn around the house or a fence. In those situations, I have to slow it down a bit. If I'm going up or down a hill at full speed and try to whip it around, I'd probably be ejected. After reading all this, I probably will slow it down a bit. The thing is 24hp after all!
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

flippedrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Really? Really!!?? HAHAHAHAHAHA
Josh, Limit found that day both regarding sand and driving ability is sand. Can't say I never turned a car on its side - When there was no traffic around and no endangerment of other cars around.

Overall for a somewhat high centered vehicle (and I say that because you have a lot of heavy parts engine, tranny axles are close to ground) I am very impressed with the way the vehicle handles, excellerates (for V8 owners), and brakess and would have never expected this upon purchase. It is a fun vehicle to drive period.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I drive my 2.5 N/A WOT every day! Gotta or the dorks on mopeds pass me. My motto is "Git in. Sit Down. Shut up. And quit complaining about how slow my truck is"
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I drive my 2.5 N/A WOT every day! Gotta or the dorks on mopeds pass me. My motto is "Git in. Sit Down. Shut up. And quit complaining about how slow my truck is"
I feel your pain. The 110 is my daily driver at the moment, and at every stoplight it seems that every douche in a Toyota Corolla gets pissed that it takes me 20 seconds to get up to speed as they zip out from behind me in an attempt to jackrabbit the Defender. So I casually flip them the pin out the window, and go on my merry way.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:51 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
In my area we have a mix of uptight east coast pricks, foreign nationals, retirees, kids, cell phoning d bags both male and female, assorted airheads, and impatient commercial drivers. I'm in one or more of those categories there somewhere! It takes only a moment's lack of attention to wind up tying up the Beltway, I66, 395, route 1, I95 or anything else. Even the hint of possible danger from another driver and someone hits the brakes, someone else swerves, and there you are.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:56 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
uptight east coast pricks
That would be me.

------ Follow up post added June 27th, 2012 11:58 PM ------

Quote:
cell phoning d bags both male and female
Also me (the male one), but it's only because Pedro calls me more than my wife does.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, vin