Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 7th, 2012, 06:20 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am not crazy about the look of my truck without doors but do love the feeling when driving...and as a side note, I am planning to build some tube doors for my truck in the next month or so depending on timing of completing some other small projects. I will post pics in a separate thread once underway if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The trouble it seems with a doorless rover is the lack of a rim around the edge of the opening. In a jeep, there is a good six to eight inches of metal around the floor and along the outline of the entry way to help keep you and your belongings inside. Older jeeps without seatbelts had even more of a lip. The doorless rover also looks unfinished and jeep wannabeish IMO.

What is needed is something similar to the piece fitted on classic broncos. The original bronco roadster put an insert in the square opening to provide a more rounded finished look. It made the rider feel more secure, kept your stuff in the cabin, and made the truck not look like something riding out of the wrecker yard.
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:05 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post
The trouble it seems with a doorless rover is the lack of a rim around the edge of the opening. In a jeep, there is a good six to eight inches of metal around the floor and along the outline of the entry way to help keep you and your belongings inside. Older jeeps without seatbelts had even more of a lip. The doorless rover also looks unfinished and jeep wannabeish IMO.

What is needed is something similar to the piece fitted on classic broncos. The original bronco roadster put an insert in the square opening to provide a more rounded finished look. It made the rider feel more secure, kept your stuff in the cabin, and made the truck not look like something riding out of the wrecker yard.
Just curious but have you ever owned an early bronco? I had fiberglass inserts and soft doors for my first '69 bronco and they were awful! While aesthetically they were fine, functionally and structurally they were awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2012, 01:27 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post

I was also thinking an insert similar to what you mentioned on the Bronco would solve the incomplete look problem. Then I just figured you could build the tube doors having the bottom portion of the door frame covered in a piece of sheet metal painted to match the body. This way, when you have your door closed, it would look like you had that body insert already there. Plus you have something to keep empty beer cans on your floorboards from rolling out of the cab. The only downside I can imagine would be that your Defender would look THAT much more like a f@#$ing Jeep.
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:55 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Tube door design, with integrated body panel (artists rendering)

Im no engineer, so disregard the tube door design. I do, however, have some photoshop experience...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TubeDoorPhotoshop.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	53946  
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:57 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
P.S. Clay, thanks for the guinea pig.
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Im no engineer, so disregard the tube door design. I do, however, have some photoshop experience...

That looks damn good... even from here in the UK!
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:02 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
For anyone who has tube doors, does it make more sense (for comfort) to have the top tube straight in line with the cappings (like the doors do) or to have a drop in it? I know in Jeeps they typically put the drop in because the top of the doors sits a little higher in relation to the driver. I find that the top of the ST doors is a very comfortable position for my arm while driving
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
For anyone who has tube doors, does it make more sense (for comfort) to have the top tube straight in line with the cappings (like the doors do) or to have a drop in it? I know in Jeeps they typically put the drop in because the top of the doors sits a little higher in relation to the driver. I find that the top of the ST doors is a very comfortable position for my arm while driving
I kept going back and forth between straight top bar and dipped top bar while sketching this. I started the drawing with the straight top bar, and it just didnt look right. It looked more like a door frame that had its sheet metal ripped off than a purpose-built tube door.

Anyone have any thoughts about the lower panel? Should be an easy enough project...
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I kept going back and forth between straight top bar and dipped top bar while sketching this. I started the drawing with the straight top bar, and it just didnt look right. It looked more like a door frame that had its sheet metal ripped off than a purpose-built tube door.

Anyone have any thoughts about the lower panel? Should be an easy enough project...
I like the idea of a lower panel as well and agree that the dipped bar definitely looks better...just worry about form over function to a certain degree
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:55 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
True, but I guess you'd be no worse off than you would be if you were driving without doors at all.
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Just curious but have you ever owned an early bronco? I had fiberglass inserts and soft doors for my first '69 bronco and they were awful! While aesthetically they were fine, functionally and structurally they were awful.
Never owned a classic Bronco, but have ridden in them. Almost bought one before getting a jeep back in college. Can't really remember how well the inserts held up. I prefer metal doors with glass windows. Had both on my jeep - full metal for the hardtop and full soft with plastic windows. We get so much rain some type of door needs to be handy. Plastic windows on the doors got old fast.
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Straight bar on top for me. I have driven a summer without doors and like the feel more than the look, so I'll be trying some tube doors with Jeff too.
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

More like nothing to hang your elbow/arm on cause the tube door from RA is comes straight across from the hinge to the door latch. On an earlier thread there was calls for Wolf to work something up. From that last thread he I believe was trying to figure out the indemnify something paper for selling it.
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover
More like nothing to hang your elbow/arm on cause the tube door from RA is comes straight across from the hinge to the door latch. On an earlier thread there was calls for Wolf to work something up. From that last thread he I believe was trying to figure out the indemnify something paper for selling it.
It's still on the to do list, but at the bottom. The liability of selling "doors", which are designed to keep you in your truck, is huge. No signed piece of paper can prevent some idiot from sueing me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

true, I think most soft sided jeep doors come with a disclaimer saying they are not impact resistant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
door