Doorless...hmmm. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old July 7th, 2012, 06:20 AM
jefhuf's Avatar
jefhuf
Status: Offline
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Haymarket, VA
Posts: 1,660
Registry
I am not crazy about the look of my truck without doors but do love the feeling when driving...and as a side note, I am planning to build some tube doors for my truck in the next month or so depending on timing of completing some other small projects. I will post pics in a separate thread once underway if anyone is interested.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Ragland's Avatar
Ragland
Status: Offline
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 647
The trouble it seems with a doorless rover is the lack of a rim around the edge of the opening. In a jeep, there is a good six to eight inches of metal around the floor and along the outline of the entry way to help keep you and your belongings inside. Older jeeps without seatbelts had even more of a lip. The doorless rover also looks unfinished and jeep wannabeish IMO.

What is needed is something similar to the piece fitted on classic broncos. The original bronco roadster put an insert in the square opening to provide a more rounded finished look. It made the rider feel more secure, kept your stuff in the cabin, and made the truck not look like something riding out of the wrecker yard.
__________________
"Uhh...I think they all leak like that."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:05 PM
jefhuf's Avatar
jefhuf
Status: Offline
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Haymarket, VA
Posts: 1,660
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post
The trouble it seems with a doorless rover is the lack of a rim around the edge of the opening. In a jeep, there is a good six to eight inches of metal around the floor and along the outline of the entry way to help keep you and your belongings inside. Older jeeps without seatbelts had even more of a lip. The doorless rover also looks unfinished and jeep wannabeish IMO.

What is needed is something similar to the piece fitted on classic broncos. The original bronco roadster put an insert in the square opening to provide a more rounded finished look. It made the rider feel more secure, kept your stuff in the cabin, and made the truck not look like something riding out of the wrecker yard.
Just curious but have you ever owned an early bronco? I had fiberglass inserts and soft doors for my first '69 bronco and they were awful! While aesthetically they were fine, functionally and structurally they were awful.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:27 AM
85Red110's Avatar
85Red110
Status: Offline
Kent
1985 110 3-door
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Springfield, VA USA
Posts: 716
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post
The trouble it seems with a doorless rover is the lack of a rim around the edge of the opening. In a jeep, there is a good six to eight inches of metal around the floor and along the outline of the entry way to help keep you and your belongings inside. Older jeeps without seatbelts had even more of a lip. The doorless rover also looks unfinished and jeep wannabeish IMO.

What is needed is something similar to the piece fitted on classic broncos. The original bronco roadster put an insert in the square opening to provide a more rounded finished look. It made the rider feel more secure, kept your stuff in the cabin, and made the truck not look like something riding out of the wrecker yard.
I was also thinking an insert similar to what you mentioned on the Bronco would solve the incomplete look problem. Then I just figured you could build the tube doors having the bottom portion of the door frame covered in a piece of sheet metal painted to match the body. This way, when you have your door closed, it would look like you had that body insert already there. Plus you have something to keep empty beer cans on your floorboards from rolling out of the cab. The only downside I can imagine would be that your Defender would look THAT much more like a f@#$ing Jeep.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:55 AM
85Red110's Avatar
85Red110
Status: Offline
Kent
1985 110 3-door
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Springfield, VA USA
Posts: 716
Registry
Tube door design, with integrated body panel (artists rendering)

Im no engineer, so disregard the tube door design. I do, however, have some photoshop experience...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TubeDoorPhotoshop.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	53946  
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:57 AM
85Red110's Avatar
85Red110
Status: Offline
Kent
1985 110 3-door
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Springfield, VA USA
Posts: 716
Registry
P.S. Clay, thanks for the guinea pig.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM
diesel_jim's Avatar
diesel_jim
Status: Offline
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Im no engineer, so disregard the tube door design. I do, however, have some photoshop experience...

That looks damn good... even from here in the UK!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:02 AM
jefhuf's Avatar
jefhuf
Status: Offline
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Haymarket, VA
Posts: 1,660
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Im no engineer, so disregard the tube door design. I do, however, have some photoshop experience...
For anyone who has tube doors, does it make more sense (for comfort) to have the top tube straight in line with the cappings (like the doors do) or to have a drop in it? I know in Jeeps they typically put the drop in because the top of the doors sits a little higher in relation to the driver. I find that the top of the ST doors is a very comfortable position for my arm while driving
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM
85Red110's Avatar
85Red110
Status: Offline
Kent
1985 110 3-door
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Springfield, VA USA
Posts: 716
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
For anyone who has tube doors, does it make more sense (for comfort) to have the top tube straight in line with the cappings (like the doors do) or to have a drop in it? I know in Jeeps they typically put the drop in because the top of the doors sits a little higher in relation to the driver. I find that the top of the ST doors is a very comfortable position for my arm while driving
I kept going back and forth between straight top bar and dipped top bar while sketching this. I started the drawing with the straight top bar, and it just didnt look right. It looked more like a door frame that had its sheet metal ripped off than a purpose-built tube door.

Anyone have any thoughts about the lower panel? Should be an easy enough project...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM
jefhuf's Avatar
jefhuf
Status: Offline
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Haymarket, VA
Posts: 1,660
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
I kept going back and forth between straight top bar and dipped top bar while sketching this. I started the drawing with the straight top bar, and it just didnt look right. It looked more like a door frame that had its sheet metal ripped off than a purpose-built tube door.

Anyone have any thoughts about the lower panel? Should be an easy enough project...
I like the idea of a lower panel as well and agree that the dipped bar definitely looks better...just worry about form over function to a certain degree
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:55 AM
85Red110's Avatar
85Red110
Status: Offline
Kent
1985 110 3-door
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Springfield, VA USA
Posts: 716
Registry
True, but I guess you'd be no worse off than you would be if you were driving without doors at all.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Ragland's Avatar
Ragland
Status: Offline
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Just curious but have you ever owned an early bronco? I had fiberglass inserts and soft doors for my first '69 bronco and they were awful! While aesthetically they were fine, functionally and structurally they were awful.
Never owned a classic Bronco, but have ridden in them. Almost bought one before getting a jeep back in college. Can't really remember how well the inserts held up. I prefer metal doors with glass windows. Had both on my jeep - full metal for the hardtop and full soft with plastic windows. We get so much rain some type of door needs to be handy. Plastic windows on the doors got old fast.
__________________
"Uhh...I think they all leak like that."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Straight bar on top for me. I have driven a summer without doors and like the feel more than the look, so I'll be trying some tube doors with Jeff too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
More like nothing to hang your elbow/arm on cause the tube door from RA is comes straight across from the hinge to the door latch. On an earlier thread there was calls for Wolf to work something up. From that last thread he I believe was trying to figure out the indemnify something paper for selling it.
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Wolf Fabrication's Avatar
Wolf Fabrication
Status: Offline
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,453
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover
More like nothing to hang your elbow/arm on cause the tube door from RA is comes straight across from the hinge to the door latch. On an earlier thread there was calls for Wolf to work something up. From that last thread he I believe was trying to figure out the indemnify something paper for selling it.
It's still on the to do list, but at the bottom. The liability of selling "doors", which are designed to keep you in your truck, is huge. No signed piece of paper can prevent some idiot from sueing me.
__________________
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old July 9th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Naplm00
Status: Online
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 2,870
true, I think most soft sided jeep doors come with a disclaimer saying they are not impact resistant
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
door

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
not mine, but hmmm, low miles jayz The Flea Market 1 July 15th, 2011 01:11 AM
Hmmm, how do I read this? Devin W Defender Technical Discussions 7 August 24th, 2007 09:17 AM
doorless jdb3760 Defender Technical Discussions 21 February 27th, 2007 09:08 PM
Hmmm, this looks interesting mikeslandrover Misc. Chit-Chat 16 November 26th, 2006 05:17 PM
hmmm... '98 90 on ebay Burke Misc. Chit-Chat 12 July 23rd, 2004 06:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.


Copyright