Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 7th, 2005, 09:27 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

For the sake of Oscar...

I posted this in another post:

---> We adopted this dog (my now fiance is an active member of the Humane Society and we're really into helping dogs, especially older one's that nobody wants) about a year ago. His name is Oscar, a kind of Golden Retriever/Lab Mix about 8-10yrs old, great dog, a sweetheart she calls him... Anyway, all of a sudden after I would take him for a say 200yard walk, (that's about his limit because he's got arthritis but not too bad yet) when he would eat he was crying... It just kind of happened all of a sudden. So we take him to the Vet and they do XRAY's and they found a Rifle Bullet in his upper shoulder pointed towards his 'torso' area, so it's kind of like he was on his back and shot... maybe/maybe not. AND they found about 20 or so buckshot pellets throughout his neck region. I mean can you believe it. I'm a longtime dog lover, so that hits me pretty hard. And these 2 girls found him in a ditch and fostered him for a while when we first got him so they don't know the story of 'Oscar'. I just can't believe someone would use him for target practice. I have pics of Oscar & the XRAYS if anyone wants to see... It's freaking insane. He was in pretty bad shape when these 2 girls found him, he had a few big scars on his face and was missing 1/2 an ear.

And I finally have the XRAY 'pics'...

Update: As of this morning he's finally better so we're not going to have to operate & take out the bullet(s)...

Nicholas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buckshots.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	3750   Click image for larger version

Name:	BULLET.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	3751  

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2005, 01:00 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Hi Nicholas,

It absolutely kills me to see the inhumane treatment that dogs endure. The crazy thing is that someone probably shot the dog...and the dog scampered up to him and probably licked his face. Most people do not deserve the kind of unconditional love that "man's best friend' provides...

If your dog has to undergo surgery...I would be more than happy to chip in for the operation...as would most of the other dog lovers on this board. In the interim, this dog deserves as much love as you can give him...

Peace,
Brian
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
The more people I met the more I like my dog.

Good luck Nicholas, he is a very lucky dog now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2005, 11:15 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Brian,

I thank you for the sentiment and offer ... My girl & I should be able to take care of the operation if he needs it but Thank you again. I couldn't believe that someone would do it either... My girl told me that when the vet had the XRAY in hand at first, they walked into the 'room' where Oscar and she were and they asked her 'How long have you had this dog ?' ... As to assume that we were the one's responsible... When the vet found out we just adopted Oscar last year they were relieved and knew that we weren't the one's responsible. Hell, I don't even own a gun.

And Richard, Thank you as well ... Yes, he's 'set' now.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

One Lucky Dog...

Well, we ran into a mess... I made an email out for my close friends and I just thought I'd post it here to save myself some time. Thanks!

----

Well, the trauma is over with our dog Oscar.

For those who don't know the 'Story of O', I'll make one email for everyone so I don't have to send out separate emails, if you know about him just check out the pics ! And if you're not a 'dog person' then skip & delete and I apologize for the Spam.

Anyway, we adopted a dog named Oscar about a year and change ago from the Humane Society. Apparently some ladies who were 'dog foster parents' themselves found him in a ditch in Killearn Estates in Tallahassee. They noticed he was malnurished, had cuts all over his face, had lost 1/2 of one ear and was just a miserable site laying 1/2 alive on some dirt. Well, they took him home, contacted the local Humane Society and began to foster him for a couple of months... That's is where my better half, Christie and I come in.

We adopted him and began the long process of truly domesticating him, in the beginning he would growl if our faces were near his, as a matter of fact the foster ladies called him 'OsGrrrrrr' for that reason. So things went well for about a year, he 'came around' was walking better (he has mild arthritis in his rear legs) after months of light walks and Glucosamine tablets daily and a pain med every now and again, his ears cleaned up too and he was fine.

Well, after a walk about a month ago he walked in the door and just started 'yelping' out of nowhere. We brought him to the vet after a day of it getting worse and they took XRAYS and found a bunch of shot-gun pellets throughout his cranial & neck region. Luckily this wasn't the source of his neck pain, well hopefully, but the vet was surprised when he found out we weren't the one's that used him for target practice.

They found compression in his 6th & 7th vertebrae and we had a choice to proceed with surgery or put him down. If it wasn't for the fact that this dog's character is off the charts and for the fact of the literal hell he went through, we may have chosen the latter.

Lucky for him, we didn't.

He is making a full recovery from the spinal surgery and hopefully he'll live a few more years.

Attached are the pics of the CT's (Cat Scan) they did right before surgery to be sure of the issue, a pic of the other bullet from a rifle that they found in addition to the numerous shot-gun pellets which you can plainly see in the CT's... (I counted 48... ouch!) ,and various pics of him after surgery with scar and all his shaved parts from the Myelogram's.

Anyway, Thanks to those who offered their support and kind words, Thank you to North Florida Neurology and a bigger thanks to my better half who truly helped make this happen.

Nick

P.S. for my D90 Brethren... It wasn't cheap... I'm not getting any Defender toys for a while... But it's ok.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	4052   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	4053  

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	4054   Click image for larger version

Name:	10a.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	4055  

Name:	11a.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	4056   Click image for larger version

Name:	13a.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	4057  

Name:	CTSpineAG.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	4058   Click image for larger version

Name:	BULLET.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	4059  

Name:	Info.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	4060   Click image for larger version

Name:	CTbrainGD.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	4061  

Old October 12th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Whoa.... that's insane! To say that you and your better half did a great job in caring for Oscar is a HUGE understatement. He's one lucky Dog to have met you.

Old October 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Nicholas,

Wow...is all that I can say! You and your wife have done an amazing, beautiful, and supremely kind thing for this animal.

I am sending you some good karma and well wishes for your boy....

Brian

Follow-up Post:

As saddened as I am to see people treat animals in this way...it comforts the heart to know that there are people out there (like yourself) that care so much....
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:40 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Glenn & Brian,

Much thanks for the kind words... Yes, he's a lucky SOB. It's weird, even though they opened up his chest it's like 'he knows' that something good was done.

N

Old November 5th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well some of you know Zach, Ken Loy's dog, He was diagnosed with a very advanced stage of cancer throughout his abdominal organs earlier this week and he passed away peacfully yesterday. Zach is now off chasing sticks, eating roast beef sandwiches and jumping in mud puddles. We'll all miss ya Zach!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zach.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	4224  
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:27 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Well that sucks.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old November 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Thanks guys
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:25 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Sorry Ken
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:35 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

I too am sorry for your loss Ken...hang in there.
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ken. Sorry to hear that. We will miss him on the trails... I am very close to my dog and dont know what I would do without him.

Nick. hope he is doing well now. He most have someone watchin over him up there..
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Aww.. Sorry to see Zack "the wonder mud dog" pass Ken. Definatly looked like he was enjoying life either in a puddle or in the back of the D90 (naturally after being in previously mention mud puddle).

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:45 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Ken, sorry for your lose bro. I've heard a lot of cool stories about Zack. Hope one day you'll find another roast beef eater, dog behind a steering wheel looking like a man, mud dog, broken dick, oh no wait, that's Hippert
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
Ken, sorry for your lose bro. I've heard a lot of cool stories about Zack. Hope one day you'll find another roast beef eater, dog behind a steering wheel looking like a man, mud dog, broken dick, oh no wait, that's Hippert
LOL! I forgot all about that!
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:25 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Do you think there's a resemblance?

They BETTTER NOT be related!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zack.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	4275   Click image for larger version

Name:	HippertMud.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	4276  

Old November 10th, 2005, 09:38 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Zak has a better track record of making it across mud holes than Mike does.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:51 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

OMG. Those pictures are awesome, they look so cute

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dog