Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
does anyone make a selectable hubs for a rover

Wondering if any companys make a selectable hubs for a rover axle. not series but a cv front axle like in a D-90 or disco or RRC
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I can't recall ever seeing any, though I am sure it is possible. I just don't know of any off the shelf kit that can do it.

This also begs the question..... you got an evil plan somewhere? Doing a transfer case swap?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:28 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
anything but domestic parts under a rover are okay other wise youre just making it into a chevy or ford. just to address the above post. my .02$
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2006, 11:08 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
anything but domestic parts under a rover are okay other wise youre just making it into a chevy or ford. just to address the above post. my .02$
i love it, i needed a good laugh...

I can't wait to swap out my axles for a set of reverse cut ford 9's mated to an atlas II transfercase...
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
i love it, i needed a good laugh...

I can't wait to swap out my axles for a set of reverse cut ford 9's mated to an atlas II transfercase...

That's the spirit!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Nah. Go with those new Dana-80's that I just saw in this months Petersons..... who needs wheels, just roll along on that ring gear.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Nah. Go with those new Dana-80's that I just saw in this months Petersons..... who needs wheels, just roll along on that ring gear.

-Hans
Since we have fully diverted from Randy's question, I saw that artical too. Its extremely cool, but there has been a company making 9in 40 spline axles for a while now. Out the door rears are $3000. I would way rather go that way and get the beef but keep the ground clearance! Of course, if I had unlimited money I would go with flipped 35 spline 9in with 406 mog outers. Steering and full hydro all around. But thats just me.

Back to Randy, I have not heard of anything like that for the front of a stock rover. I do know that you can modify the lt230 to run in rear full lock/front full lock if your intent is to cut the front for rear hop steer while wheeling. If you asked the question because you are thinking of dropping the t-case, don't! The LT is arguably the only thing that LR ever got totally right!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:35 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4

Peter, Do you have one bolt on your truck that is not mad by the factory?? You poor thing... lol

You guys have it all wrong. I wnt them for my series truck that now has d-90 axles under it and a selectable series T-case..

David, who makes those 9in's

Randy
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Randy,
Someone may have made manual hubs at one time as back about 1983 there was an early version of the LT230 that was selectable 2 or 4WD rather than CDL. I have never seen one in person but have pictures in the parts fiche. I would think that you would have the same problems with upper swivel bearing lubrication and CV joint lubrication as the series trucks had if you ran manual hubs. Also, manual hubs were an option on the series trucks...they came standard with drive flanges, so it won't hurt the t-box to run with the drive flanges and be turning the front shaft all the time.
I looked at the pics of your project...very nice. One question, though...what made you choose the series t-box over the LT230?
I'm looking for the rubber boot you asked about...I'm pretty sure I have one but I have to find it. Things are not all put away since the move to the new shop.
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, you can get them from Ashcroft.

I think they are made by AVM, http://www.avm.com.br/products4.htm

See the chart, model 451 for the hubs plus they come with the 2WD adapter bits for the transfer case.
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Monkeyboy

Slade's got some on the Ice Cream Truck. I cant' tell the manufacturer from the pics...
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:17 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If someone buys the ashcroft kit I am interested in the non-hub 2wd conversion bits.

evilfij at yahoo dot com

I think DAP had or could get the kit IIRC but I did not buy it because I did not want the hubs as they will not work with my early RRC axle.
Old June 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
That's the spirit!
yea well i figure that combo will go nice behind an H2.8L / NV4500, or LT1/NV4500...

of course i'll be running 35's to round it all out...

I need to win the lottery stat.
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cool.. yeah we all ned to win some $$$ to keep up out habits...lol Rob, I would have liked to go with an lt-230 but I had the series setup here and just did it on the budjut right now. I can always change it out. I would need a complete t-case with brake setup and linkage. this truck is mostly from leftovers and parts from trucks in my yard...lol
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

So buy the AVM kit and sell me the part time LT230 bits . . . I got a case here with a blown diff I need to fiddle with . . .
Old June 15th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
So buy the AVM kit and sell me the part time LT230 bits . . . I got a case here with a blown diff I need to fiddle with . . .
And I have a diff for that LT230!
Old June 15th, 2006, 09:39 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You guys are thread whores...lol I dont care though. I forgot that We have a set of Freestyle rim s for it so we hav eto keep the stock hubs anyway.. good to know anyway..
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:52 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
After all that reading....... you don't need them!
Actually I sold 3 of the things a long while ago at a Sodbury Sort-out.
They were a P.I.T.A. if you ran along the side of a rut it would disengage the drive to a hub, passenger side I think, leaving one in 2 wheel drive, wondering a) why you couldn't get up the hill b)why it came out when I was sure I'd engaged the hub at the start of the day.
Once I'd rumbled what was occuring they were wipped off, cleaned up and taken to Sodbury, can't remember what I got for 'em

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat