Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2004, 09:11 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Do your mother a favor

Leave the D-90's at home and drive the econo box to work . happy earth day people.

Old April 20th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Phillip my econo box is a bike, and my 20 min drive would take over an hour at my rate. How about this, I will work on my earth relocation and earth agitating skills today.
Old April 20th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I'm sure with higher gas prices the amount of auto pollution is way down. Tax gas another buck or two a gallon and the problem is gone. We'll all be riding Mike's bike, breathing fresh air and saving our gas for weekend romps.

DW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2004, 11:15 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Brothers of the D-90 source;

The reasons we all drive Rovers is as individual as the aftermarket parts we adorn them with. But one major reason we drive them is that they are eco friendly----- friendly to our economy.

We all buy gas at $2.00+ a gallon to feed our 14 MPG thirsty beasts. And with the price of parts and the frequency of breakdowns how would our favorite vendors or Land Rover Centres survive, IF WE DON"T DRIVE!!!

Screw earth day! Give our country's economy a boost! DRIVE YOUR ROVERS!!!! TODAY AND EVERY DAY!!!!!!

Old April 20th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally posted by mhansen

...14 MPG...

Move over Honda Insight!

Anyone with a Defender getting 14 mpg wins my vote an Earth Day award.
Old April 20th, 2004, 11:48 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

14 MPG??? is that in the D90 or Disco? I have no idea what's my 90's MPG but I know my Disco gets 10MPG in the highway
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:01 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
My ride into work today, and almost everyday is my Bianchi SASS. Single speed all the way baby...

My favorite decal on the frame is: "Cars are Coffins".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:08 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I hope I will be able to ride my bike to work...
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:11 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally posted by TwisteD90
14 MPG??? is that in the D90 or Disco? I have no idea what's my 90's MPG but I know my Disco gets 10MPG in the highway
Yousef-
You are supposed to air down when you GET to Moab, not when you leave for Moab.
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:14 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Riding into work is not for the faint of heart. I had four "accidents" last year, and two this year already. Including hitting a runner at full speed (she turned without looking), and side swiping a cab mirror since he wouldn't give me right of way.

Last year, my highlight was rear ending a car at full speed on Beacon Hill. I ended up on top of the trunk.

Old April 20th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Sounds like my daily commute to the loop in Chicago last year! Ahh memories. Never had the balls to run my Sycip Diesel Singlespeed. Just rode my cross bike.

EwS
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Mike, LOL.

Dave, "Cars are Coffins" I don't think I would mind dieing in my 90, when people ask about buying it I always tell them they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

On the bike accidents with bikes I once hit a chipmunk as it darted out in front of me. What type of car did you rear end?
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:29 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally posted by dmarchand
Riding into work is not for the faint of heart. I had four "accidents" last year, and two this year already. Including hitting a runner at full speed (she turned without looking), and side swiping a cab mirror since he wouldn't give me right of way.

Last year, my highlight was rear ending a car at full speed on Beacon Hill. I ended up on top of the trunk.
Remind me to stay f....................................ar a..................way from you when you are driving.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old April 20th, 2004, 12:55 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Mike, I know that feeling. I've run over a squirrel on my road bike while cruising around North Conway. Just sat in the middle of the road and watched me come at him. Surprisingly, he came out okay.

I rear ended a Camry, older model (early 90's). I as surprised the trunk only had a minor dent in it and I wasn't able to break the rear windshield. Nothing like hearing "oh my god!" from the sidewalk as I hit the car. It was like slow motion. Brakes fully locked, skidding out of control. The driver slammed on his brakes because someone pulled out of a spot in front of him. He was really cool about it, said his son was a bike commuter as well.

Surprisingly, my driving is relatively tame. It's my biking that gets me in trouble...
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Jetta TDI = nearly 50MPG (and diesel prices)
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I know I'm about to incur some wrath on this one but...

Bikes and cars don't mix well. Accidents will occur, but cyclists will be disproportionately impacted. Bikes aren't as visible, can't really maintain a lane well, and often force cars to maneuver around suddenly. I'm all for people choosing a transportation method undoubtedly healthier and cleaner. But let's have designated bike lanes.

Why do I say this here? Because if someone pulls out in a car, my D-90 will make some crumpled sheet-metal. If a cyclist does the same, my truck will hurt them severely, even more so than if hitting a typical car.

Off my box now, so flame on
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I hit a dog once on my bike. going the better part of 24mph at night while returning home from refreshments...
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
see when you hit someone in your truck, they will be driving your truck and living in your house. watch out for people on bikes.
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:26 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Hahaha you are funny mike

I thought about getting one of those single speed moped but riding on a single speed for 30 miles each way is not going to happen
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragland
I know I'm about to incur some wrath on this one but...

Bikes and cars don't mix well. Accidents will occur, but cyclists will be disproportionately impacted. Bikes aren't as visible, can't really maintain a lane well, and often force cars to maneuver around suddenly. I'm all for people choosing a transportation method undoubtedly healthier and cleaner. But let's have designated bike lanes.

That's just ignorant! You can't just lay blame on either the cyclist or driver. Each case is different. As far a visibility, that just says your an inattentive driver. I can spot a cyclist easily and without the need to manouver around them. Granted sometimes cyclists dart in front of you. So do cars, cabs and trucks. It happens and the person is to blame not the method of transport. As far a maintaining a lane well, I can ride in a rain gutter 16 inches wide for hours on end. I can't tell you how many times I have been riding the road in Euro trash jersey and shorts (loud and colorful), minding my own business well off the on the shoulder and some prick on a cell phone, some mom yelling at her kids, or someone ass who just feels bikes don't belong has had to swerve to avoid hitting me on the shoulder.

As far as building bike lanes, why? Do you wan't your taxes to go up? I don't! And where the hell are you going to put a bike lane in metro Chicago? Segreagtion isn't a solution. I think people just need to get their heads out of their asses and pay attention to the road when driving. Put the cell away, focus on actually driving.

Try cycling to work for a week... In the least you'll save a tank of gas and understand what it's like to ride among road raging assholes, soccer moms and good drivers.

EwS
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat