Do your mother a favor - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2004, 01:49 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Damn cyclists---thats why I have an ARB bull bar.
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Eric,

Didn't mean to piss anyone off. Visibility is a concern, especially at night or twilight. A bike does not have the same visual profile as a car, nor has as many lights. Cyclists are generally moving slower than normal traffic patterns. Many bikers demand quite a bit of road space, to the extent a D-90 will not fit safely within the same lane. Don't label me or anyone else a bad driver, or a cellphone talker and soccer mom. If biking in traffic proved to be such an ease, bikers like yourself wouldn't be so hateful toward drivers.

The ability of a bike to negotiate a roadway is severely diminished with respects to a car. The bike will rarely maintain a flow pattern with existing traffic - creating a situation where accidents are more likely to occur. In such accidents, bikers are, again, at a severe disadvantage.

Regardless who is at fault, bikers will not fare well in traffic accidents. Just like small, slow planes are banned from large busy airports. As for the bike lanes, many places put a stripe down the existing sidewalk or on the roadside.

Besides, calm down. No one is taking up legislation against bikes like some want for SUV's - D-90's included.
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
some prick on a cell phone, some mom yelling at her kids, or someone ass who just feels bikes don't belong has had to swerve to avoid hitting me on the shoulder.
These people make my drive more interesting, lets just say I have convinced a few cell phone drivers to put the F'n phone down and pay attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2004, 02:48 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Robert, unfortunately I see no point in your mentally impaired rant. You are bringing up an issue, that wasn't a part of this thread.

Quote:
Bikes and cars don't mix well. Accidents will occur, but cyclists will be disproportionately impacted.
No shit. You are a master at stating the obvious.

Quote:
Try cycling to work for a week... In the least you'll save a tank of gas and understand what it's like to ride among road raging assholes, soccer moms and good drivers.
This was well put. Robert, fact is I know we are out numbered as cyclists and commuters. I accept the fact I can get hit by another driver at any time.

Your rant was born of the wrong idea. We were discussing commuting, as it relates to Earth Day, and shared a few stories of bike commuting. You seem to have mistaken that for an opportunity to discuss a larger issue. One which you don't have any understanding of.

Quote:
Why do I say this here? Because if someone pulls out in a car, my D-90 will make some crumpled sheet-metal. If a cyclist does the same, my truck will hurt them severely, even more so than if hitting a typical car.
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard (okay, maybe not). Of course your going to hit a cyclist. Just as you would a pedestrian, or a car, or a fucking tree that jumps out at you. Are you tough because your driving that "D-90"? Sounds like that's your attitude as a driver. That's a shame. Pull your head out of your ass and realize your one of a billion people on the planet. You are neither that signifcant or important to act so tough. Perhaps you would pay better attention to your surroundings if you shrugged off some of that attitude.

So where are you going with this little "soapbox" issue of yours? Does it have any relative point to this thread?
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:54 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Many bikers demand quite a bit of road space, to the extent a D-90 will not fit safely within the same lane. Don't label me or anyone else a bad driver, or a cellphone talker and soccer mom. If biking in traffic proved to be such an ease, bikers like yourself wouldn't be so hateful toward drivers.
Umm. How about slowing down and waiting to pass a biker if you feel it is unsafe. Oh, sorry. Your in such a hurry...

Unfortunately, your like most people on the road Robert. In too much of a hurry with zero patience or tolerance.

Quote:
The ability of a bike to negotiate a roadway is severely diminished with respects to a car. The bike will rarely maintain a flow pattern with existing traffic - creating a situation where accidents are more likely to occur. In such accidents, bikers are, again, at a severe disadvantage.

Oh my god. I'm so glad Captain Obvious showed up again. I did not realize I couldn't stop a 5K lbs. truck with my body. I'll have to ride smarter in the future.
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

So in not wanting to be so negative about Earthday, I have decided to pick up trash along my next jaunt into the woods. My problem is what can you do to stop people from dumping cars and tires all over the place?

I talked to a Police Officer (I was kinda trespassing, not really it was a road on privet property that was not clearly marked) and when I left the area he pulled me over, he was glad he caught me, he did not give me a ticket because allot of people go out there, but he did give me his # and asked me to let him know if anything strange was going on out there. He can't patrol the area in his car but he asked if I could keep an eye out for him.

So I am pretty sure this happens all over the place as there was allot of trash on the trails in PA, but what can you do besides clean it up?
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Dave,

I only made the comments in response to prior postings. It's not a rant, just an observation.

What's with the block on the shoulder kind of insults. No, I'm not stupid, a bad driver, or feel tough driving a defender. If I'm stating the obvious, why lash out.

If bikes were given the same consideration as anything else sharing the road, Ralph Nader and the other safety Nazis would have tried to ban them for lack of safety.

Don't be an asshole simply because you think someone might have a different opinion.
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Robert,

I never called you anything but ignorant. Your second post does nothing to dissuade me from my first observation.

If you have ever been hit, run-off the road, raged at, or just viewed as a common criminal for persuing your passions you'd be pretty pissed with your own statementsas well. If you ever had a friend die from being hit by a car who was at fault.....

Your lack of insight and knowledge about something as simple and enjoyable as a bike is appalling. Bikes flow with traffic and in most cases can out manouver them.

Airports allow small planes to land. I travel extensively and have seen pipers land next to 747 at Chicago O'hare Int'l. Which obviously isn't a big airport at all. Happens all the time.

People seek to legislate cyclists out of every place. Educate yourself. There many bills, not laws, in place to limit cyclsts of all kinds. And yes the proper term is a bill until passed into law.

And here's my last two cents. Don't post your anti-cycling drivel in the middle of a post about earth day and people who are sharing their experiences riding their bikes to work. Especially if you can't logically defend your position in a debate and then cry like a school girl when a cyclists pimp slaps your ass back to the fifties where it belongs.

EwS
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Siepmann

...Educate yourself. There many bills...
EwS
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
haha its not even earth day but it is 4/20.....
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Of which we aren't talking about here. And I do follow what my elected officials are sponsoring....Locally, Statewide and Nationally.
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Guys calm down, please. I like riding bikes, too. It's just my opinion they don't work well in modern traffic. Not on all roads, just where there is heavy traffic. A go-kart or atv makes about as much sense.

So go practice your "pimp slaps" in front of the mirror, Eric. Better yet, plan a summer vacation in China, where a real biker's paradise awaits.
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:58 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Don't be an asshole simply because you think someone might have a different opinion
Rob, your "opinion" (or observation which you use interchangeably in error) came from no where. It subsequently went no where. You decided to voice an opinion, of which you know nothing about. You can have an opinion all you want. But at the very least, back it up.

Sadly you can't. Your statements aren't even relevant to the thread, the topic or anything anyone else posted. So I'm calling you out. You put your "flame" suit on sparky.

Quote:
If bikes were given the same consideration as anything else sharing the road, Ralph Nader and the other safety Nazis would have tried to ban them for lack of safety.
WTF is that supposed to mean? What on earth are you trying to support by saying that? I don't even like Nader, but you have nothing of relevance in this response. Of course bikes aren't given the same consideration. They are a minority. Nobody is debating that.

Rob, when was the last time you rode a bike? Have you ever ridden one in a city? On the street....
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:10 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Pardon me, but I thought D-90 Source was supposed to be "different" from the other BBS'....
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Dave,

My flame suit hasn't even begun to warm up.

You and Eric on the other hand are on fire, spewing like an aneurysm.

Why is it I get the feeling the two of you have been sprayed by passing cars one too many times?

Do you yell at walkers who stray into the bike lane?
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:38 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Wow, finally a response that makes sense. And it's direct too.

Way to go Robert. Your all grown up now.

No Robert. I don't recall ever being sprayed by a car. I typically hog the road.
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I get sprayed all the time, part of the fun.

I'll leave you with this Robert. Ever been to Europe? Everyday proof positive that bikes work in modern traffic. In Amsterdam there are more bikes per capita than cars. How about Paris and Rome? Bikes work in modern traffic, even more congested than most US cities.

My whole point was that your original post was ignorant and lacked any factual basis. Your replies as well.

Walk in someone elses shoes before you form your opinions. Take my challenge and ride to work for one week.

And as far as hating drivers, I don't. I live and let live. But Ignorant stupid posts like yours really piss me off. Have you read your own posts? Hitler? Airports? Turning Ratios? You come off sounding the complete fool. When all we are saying is stop spewing nonsensical crap you can't back up and just realize that bikes belong and are not the root of every accident on the road. Just like I said the first time.

I just get the distinct impression you live in this small world and are unwilling and unable to accept reality. Probably the furthest thing from the truth as well. It's like me sayin the state of LA. is useless if it weren't for new Orleans and Mardi Gras. I've been there, experienced beautiful back country roads with gorgeous scenery, met nice people and ate fine food. All in LA, And how did I do this? Experience and know this?

On my Road bike touring.....on vacation.

EwS
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Okay debater boys, here's one I encountered.

Driving on a 45 mph listed four lane road, with the traffic doing 40 - 50. Line of cars ahead in my lane includes a big Ryder. The wind force from the truck blows biker (doing 15 - 20) around to where he almost falls into the driving lane. Two or three cars (including myself) would likely have had no time to react.

Sure, this is an isolated incident. No, it does not form the basis for legal action, legislation (pending or passed, Eric), or damning bikers. Only, my own opinion is that bikes do not belong in heavy traffic. You are free to disagree, free to call me ignorant, free to suggest I'm from the 50's.

Paris is a disaster for traffic. Germany is better with bike lanes (yes, Eric, worse for taxes). Glad you found LA a good place to visit. Be careful riding on River Road, it may seem great for bikes but people get hit there a lot. If you come back, I might even offer some recommendations, though you've been rather snide.
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think you guys need to settle this OFF the BOARD. It is not relevant to the topic.
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

So Eric, where did you ride/eat/visit while in LA?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat