Do you trust your Rover and your upkeep - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

View Poll Results: Take it cross country as it sits right now?
Yes. I trust its abilities to get me there in one piece. 51 78.46%
Yes. I would because I like adventure, but it is so going to break somewhere along the way. 13 20.00%
No. It ain't making in and I am quite possibly a fraud and it's there to make me look cool. 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 4th, 2015, 09:43 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Only one real way to find out. Last time I took a major trip in it was the Alaska disaster a few years ago. But that truly was a great shakedown trip after buying it to work out all of the issues. Now I am pretty confident that things will work just fine.

I've been all around SoCal with it since everything was sorted out with no problems, minus a strange starter issue which is intermittent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

I definitely would in either of them. I daily drive the Classic and the Defender gets plenty of road trip miles across the southwest in the warmer months.
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I've driven mine across country, from NY to Va a few times, and over 50 miles a day for work. I don't check my fluids between oil changes. My general attitude is that I might not make it to work on any given day, but so far so good!
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Greenspan, I dont trust the Rover to get me to and from the local grocery store on a regular basis.
If I make a run to the store, I always tell my wife...keep your phone handy...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
In my case it's driving through various Countries which with the different languages adds to the adventure. We have a print out of all the dealers throughout Europe just in case something really goes wrong, yet, knocking heavily on wood now, the Rangie has been running really well.
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:36 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Greenspan, I dont trust the Rover to get me to and from the local grocery store on a regular basis.

When my Dad gave me my first British car (72 MGB) when I was 16 he told me "never to drive it further than you care to walk home from."

Both key fobs had a quarter in them to make a call home for a ride at a pay phone

I never listened well, I've driven my Brits all over the country.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:41 AM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
~11 years ago, with more than 135k on the clock, I drove my '95 RRC SWB from northern VA to Moab, through blizzards in TX, CO, NM and UT. Almost got stuck in Canyonlands on a snowy two-track, but was able to reseat the air bladder and restore the EAS. It made the return trip home without problems, then a few months later, I had a slipped #5 sleeve. She sat on my driveway for about 10 years, until recently. Thanks to CarlosZ and the guys at AMS, she has a new heart and I've already driven ~ 2k miles. Most of those miles were with a bad TPS, but she never died on me, at least not until yesterday. Fortunately, I had a good TPS in my '95 RRC LWB that I swapped. She seems much happier now, but who knows what else may go wrong. That said, I'm up for adventure, and if I had the time to do a cross-country trip, I'd be game. However, I'm pretty certain something would happen along the way...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

100%. Drove to Chicago from Colorado, picked up a trailer, drove to Lake McConnaughy and wheeled in the sand, and then back to Colorado. Truck runs great. All I carried was a jerry can of gas, one of water, and my trusty bag of tools.
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:05 PM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Clay,

Seemed to do a good job on the trail yesterday!

I'd drive mine anywhere...heck even vehicles off the showroom have their issues. Nothing is foolproof. Most insurance provides some tow coverage, and I think it would be a little ignorant not to carry some safety net even with a new vehicle...Getting into some trouble without coverage with the wife and kids is not my idea of a good time.
Old January 4th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Yup, I have driven the D90 on 12-14hr trips to Iowa and SC with no issues. I do all the maintainence and repairs so I know every square inch of the truck. I always carry relavent spares.

Happy Rovering!

Old January 4th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
I would and did. The first trip in my 110 was 3500 miles, 700 of that in a blizzard in Wyoming. Made it back to TN no problem, just had to buy new wiper blades on the road. The 110 is in better condition now than it was then. I would have no problem with it, actually looking for a reason too....
Old January 4th, 2015, 01:43 PM
MM3846
Adam
95 D1

I'd just like to have a spare fuel pump and brake switch (along with spare fluids to replace everything that slowly seeps outs) on hand and I'll drive anywhere in the lower 48.
Old January 4th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I will usually drive my Hunter just about anywhere...driven it to PA 2x in the last year and Uwharrie 2x year before...several trips to the Outer Banks of NC.

Drove the trails yesterday(nevermind that I have no oil pressure light at this time)......developed a new squeak..
Attached Files

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 4th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
The 130 I would get into and drive anywhere without a problem. The 110 has a 300 mile per day limit due to sheer noise tolerance. 😎
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:29 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Yes, I would , three years ago I got on a plane and drove 1000 miles home, it was leaking water when I pulled in the driveway, I have replaced or rebuilt everything that needed to be fixed, today I woke up and asked the girlfriend if she wanted to go for a ride, we drove over 400 miles and I almost ran out of fuel, (dope),the fuel gauge is not accurate, like someone else said, AAA and help from board members I don't worry, just drive and have fun,
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:31 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Second stormer's problem with noise.

I trust the mechanicals of the truck, but a 3 hour trip to Rausch Creek is at the upper limit of what I can stand in terms of a drive.
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I drove about 14 hours to Conclave and then MAR, then back. Truck has never really driven right after that, but I still trust it.
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Trust is a relative term.
Made 7 trips @ 10+ hrs each way this past year and other than running out of gas, had no issues.
I just give the truck a once over before I go and don't expect anything to go wrong, but would not be surprised if just about anything did.
14hrs each way in a 90st towing a trailer for a weekend is my new limit.
Old January 4th, 2015, 10:07 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Second stormer's problem with noise. I trust the mechanicals of the truck, but a 3 hour trip to Rausch Creek is at the upper limit of what I can stand in terms of a drive.
Answer to the noise problem: earplugs.
It's not the diesel engine noise that gets me. It's the roof rack wind noise.
Old January 4th, 2015, 10:32 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
Trust is a relative term.
Made 7 trips @ 10+ hrs each way this past year and other than running out of gas, had no issues.
I just give the truck a once over before I go and don't expect anything to go wrong, but would not be surprised if just about anything did.
14hrs each way in a 90st towing a trailer for a weekend is my new limit.
True. And you drove that disco home after swapping for the 2500!

------ Follow up post added January 4th, 2015 11:36 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post

I do that technique with my wife with my spare tire for driving around town. I haven't carried it except for trips in over two years. But haven't had a flat when I've been out either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat