Do you run your 300tdi on biodiesel? How do you like it? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 9th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think it is important to point out to someone new to Biodiesel that Roberts admirable adventures in waste vegetable oil is very different from a processed product like Biodiesel. You do not need a dual tank system to run biodiesel and it does not clog injectors or IP Pumps. Biodiesel (as opposed to WVO) is highly solvent and lubricant. That means it cleans your system and lubricates it. In fact, In an extensive test of diesel additives, the winner was a Biodiesel additive (B2) over Opti-Lube (which I occasionally use) and others. The only way Biodiesel will clog your system is if you use rubber hoses. They will soften, dissolve and gum up the system. Biodiesel will not clog your injectors and a 300tdi engine is able to handle Biodiesel very well as long as hoses the fuel comes in contact with are synthetic. I have run Biodiesel for 5 years now. I put new injectors in when I bought it. I had them checked once and they're fine. The IP and everything is running like clockwork. There is nothing to be afraid of here. Jump right in. You engine will love it.
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Facts versus fiction.
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I've made it a point to replace fuel line things along the way in my swap with B100 compliant hose. So one day, I will be legit. But for the time being the only way I can get B100 is hocking it from the mine. Not available commercially locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

While we're on this topic I'd like to make a plug for a fellow board member (Andrew Hutton, user name AJH) who is not only making bio diesel but its also making hand soap from the byproduct Glycerine of the bio diesel refinement. I have tried it and this soap is no joke. No perfumes and its very effective. Order some, try and it out and support a fellow board member!
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:48 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Carl:
As an alternate fuel proponent, anyone who runs bio-diesel is obviously burning a valuable substitute for fossil fuel.

You have a source for high quality bio-diesel and not what we see locally, which is often poor quality with glycerine and unused methanol. This stuff forms chicken skin and will clog injectors and will also gel up in cold temperatures.

I've burned a lot more WVO than bio-diesel and know the difference.
Also understand the difference between high quality biodiesel and poor quality bio-diesel.

Was trying to share my experience with both the OM617 and 300TDI.
So it sounds like if you have good quality bio-diesel, the 300TDI does fine, unlike my friends 300TDI who had issues with local bio-diesel and my 300TDI that had issues with clean WVO (which is essentually unrefined bio-diesel).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I don't think we're in disagreement here.

Biodiesel, like any fuel; if it is incorrectly refined you can have issues. If it passes the 27:3 test and is properly washed and dried it will not have any issues. Although if you store it long term like any diesel you re-filter before use, etc. Wet or fuel still containing methanol will certainly corrode things; but commercial-grade Biodiesel is as good as any other commercial-grade fuel and will not clog injectors or create problems.

I'm just trying to make sure that anyone considering running properly refined commercial grade biodiesel in their 300tdi does not get cold feet due to mistaken assumptions and misinformation.
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It was 23 degrees here this morning and the Defender ran ok with B50 in it. The 300tdi wasn't happy and took a while to turn over but got me to work eventually. Now that all my parts are here its about time to install the Webasto and heated fuel filter.
Old February 6th, 2014, 02:35 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

What are you guys using for fuel lines? Genuine parts? Something custom-made?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:41 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I don't think we're in disagreement here.
Correct, we're not... only sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
What are you guys using for fuel lines? Genuine parts? Something custom-made?
Aluminum lines with viton lined hose to connect between the line and device, but I strictly run a 2 tank system which is really not needed if you have good quality bio-diesel as Carl suggests.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:37 AM
RRclassic
Hugo
1994 RR Classic 300tdi

Manimal, thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated. On a side note, since the 300tdi is not that common in Portland, do you know of a local mechanic that knows this Diesel engine well and is reputable? Any of the local Land Rover shops or someone more independent? Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
300tdi, diesel, tdi