Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 8th, 2015, 10:31 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I thought the same thing..was more thinking about a tip over than submerging the snorkle or getting the interior wet
Yep. I was thinking about RHD given the size of the driver. No balance issues here ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015, 10:34 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yeah, that's some serious weight bias.....
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, that's some serious weight bias.....
Hey now !

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2015, 12:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Done a bit.

photos by nathanwind
Those were some damn good pics, the entire "montage" is classic. The best part was (and would have been clear if captured on video) was watching you and Cabell literally dancing the trucks around each other. It was obvious that 2 brothers grew up wheeling with each other.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 8th, 2015, 01:52 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
I met TeriAnn briefly and she strikes me as very much the lioness. If I were to describe her...
Funny you should mention that. My animal totem spirit has always been an American mountain lion. Strong, independent and mostly traveling alone. Well usually with an Irish Wolfhound at my side.

Mind you I have nothing against traveling in convoy with others but alone I can navigate by whim and stop to enjoy whatever strikes me as interesting at the moment. The only problem with convoys is that you need to follow the leader and keep up. The '98 Border to Border sprint would have driven me crazy had I not spent 2 months covering the same territory a couple of months earlier.

Actually the Border to border sprint was exactly the kind of event I usually avoid but British Pacific sponsored my truck and paid my costs. Each day was a long marathon drive without stops to gaze at the scenery followed by dinner at a restaurant and a night in a motel room then off for the next day's marathon sprint after a hot shower and a restaurant breakfast. Since I carried my own motel room in my Dormobile I camped each night fixing my own meals while everyone else was off in their restaurants & motel rooms. My sponsor was only good for the entry fee, free gas and free parts if needed. I always thought that the group missed an important part of the experience by not camping or taking the time to stop and explore the scenery they were driving through.

They also had a crew of mechanics along in a 101 that had parts to fix the modern coil spring LRs during the evening while their owners rested. I broke a front axle in deep snow in Montana then rushed ahead to Moab (one day ahead of the group) where I replaced the front axle at a camp ground. Since I knew which axle I broke, and had camped at a campground in Moab before I got on the phone to my sponsor to have the axle and new seals overnighted to the Moab campground. When I got to the campground removed the broken axle that evening and have everything clean and ready for installing when the parts arrived the next day. I had the axle replaced and was back on four wheels by the time the group rolled into Moab that afternoon.

The value of having owned the same truck since 1978 is that I have replaced or disassembled everything at least once and don't need to bother with bringing the workshop manual with me.

The one time I organized a lead a trip it became an interesting exercise in herding cats. It was billed as a four corners photography trip. I ended up with mostly non photographers who complained about the frequent stops to take pictures. And many people had their own driving preferences which did not include stopping to look at and explore.

I had a day planned to explore and take pictures in slot canyons but all but a few decided to say in camp that day. The ones that came along loved the slot canyon experince

The last part of the trip was a trip through Canyon de Chelly. I had previously developed a relationship with a guide who lived in the canyon. We spent the day driving one branch, stopping at the ruins then camped at the base of spider woman rock. That evening our guides sang traditional Navajo songs around the campfire. Next morning was a drive back to the base of the canyon then a slow drive with many stops up the other canyon branch. We stopped for our last planned night of the group trip at the base of the mummy caves. Early the next morning about half the group decided that they didn't want to complete my planned trip and rushed out of the canyon then bee lined for home while I took the remaining half along the day's scenic trip. Some of us spent a last night at a Navajo park campground. before parting ways in the morning.

The trip had a mixture of people who wanted to do different things, go at different speeds and some were impatient with all the stops to take pictures. The photo expedition didn't have the harmony I was hoping for so was the first and last time that I organized a trip for others.

There is value in sharing the trail with others but I have also found time to be alone with my thoughts to have value as well.

If you are interested in seeing more snap shots I have taken on the trail there are some in my web site

Old February 8th, 2015, 03:03 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Sounds a lot like me. I like to set my own pace. Shortest travel day on a long trip was 35 miles.

By the same token, if I'm behind schedule, I want to keep moving. Longest travel day, 900 miles in 15 hours. On motorcycle no less.

I have traveled in groups as well. While is fun to experience things with others of similar interest, you are often on their schedule.

As a rule I travel internationally solo. Can't easily escape a territory turned hostile when you have someone else to be responsible for (ball and chain).
Old February 8th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Don't confuse OEX (Overland Experts) with Expo (Overland Expo). OEX = not waxed jerry cans, but rather military/tactical & industrial/professional off-road training.
Indeed. I stand corrected.
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:08 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
And there in lies the problem with acronyms.

WWJD?

-Jeff
What would Jeff ........
Nah, backspace backspace backspace... it's just not worth it..
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:19 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
That snow trail pic is great. Where is that?

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2015 07:20 PM ------

Nice!

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2015 07:21 PM ------

Very nice 110!

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2015 07:23 PM ------

Thanks for sharing. Those pics are amazing. Very cool.
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:28 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. My animal totem spirit has always been an American mountain lion. Strong, independent and mostly traveling alone. Well usually with an Irish Wolfhound at my side.
It is not surprising to me. I was just able to see you for who you are - many of my friends are similar as you and I and in this way. It is always a pleasure to meet someone kindred in spirit.

Quote:
Mind you I have nothing against traveling in convoy with others but alone I can navigate by whim and stop to enjoy whatever strikes me as interesting at the moment. The only problem with convoys is that you need to follow the leader and keep up. The '98 Border to Border sprint would have driven me crazy had I not spent 2 months covering the same territory a couple of months earlier.
This has happened to me before, just under different circumstance.

Quote:
Actually the Border to border sprint was exactly the kind of event I usually avoid but British Pacific sponsored my truck and paid my costs. Each day was a long marathon drive without stops to gaze at the scenery followed by dinner at a restaurant and a night in a motel room then off for the next day's marathon sprint after a hot shower and a restaurant breakfast. Since I carried my own motel room in my Dormobile I camped each night fixing my own meals while everyone else was off in their restaurants & motel rooms. My sponsor was only good for the entry fee, free gas and free parts if needed. I always thought that the group missed an important part of the experience by not camping or taking the time to stop and explore the scenery they were driving through.
Doesn't it seem odd to you when people go exploring and cannot seem to slow down? They bring their work and other distractions with them. How? and why, would you do that? Slooow down and enjoy. And the differences in camping styles. I enjoy a more minimalistic style of camping. My necessities are few. I feel this allows you to really be one with your surroundings and leave the modern day behind, if only for a little while and when you return you can feel a deeper appreciation for both. eg: If you go on an outing and upon returning home, you do not marvel and revel at your plush bed and endless hot running water and you aren't already plotting and craving for the next trip - you've done it wrong.
Quote:
The value of having owned the same truck since 1978 is that I have replaced or disassembled everything at least once and don't need to bother with bringing the workshop manual with me.
One day I hope this to be me. To know my rovers backwards, forwards and in the dark. Teri, I think your rig is set up just right and a happy balance of keeping your landy true to what it is, with just enough modification to make it a very functional, self contained go anywhere mobile. I have gained instruction and inspiration from your build.

Quote:
The one time I organized a lead a trip it became an interesting exercise in herding cats. It was billed as a four corners photography trip. I ended up with mostly non photographers who complained about the frequent stops to take pictures. And many people had their own driving preferences which did not include stopping to look at and explore.
That must have been confusing for you, as it would have for me. 'You don't want to? No interest...Really??'

Quote:
I had a day planned to explore and take pictures in slot canyons but all but a few decided to stay in camp that day. The ones that came along loved the slot canyon experience

The last part of the trip was a trip through Canyon de Chelly. I had previously developed a relationship with a guide who lived in the canyon. We spent the day driving one branch, stopping at the ruins then camped at the base of spider woman rock. That evening our guides sang traditional Navajo songs around the campfire.
What a wonderful end to the day .

Quote:
Next morning was a drive back to the base of the canyon then a slow drive with many stops up the other canyon branch. We stopped for our last planned night of the group trip at the base of the mummy caves. Early the next morning about half the group decided that they didn't want to complete my planned trip and rushed out of the canyon then bee lined for home while I took the remaining half along the day's scenic trip. Some of us spent a last night at a Navajo park campground. before parting ways in the morning.

The trip had a mixture of people who wanted to do different things, go at different speeds and some were impatient with all the stops to take pictures. The photo expedition didn't have the harmony I was hoping for so was the first and last time that I organized a trip for others.

There is value in sharing the trail with others but I have also found time to be alone with my thoughts to have value as well.
Maybe next time Teri, just go with people who are similar. If you ever feel the want for company on an outing, I would be happy to accompany you. I promise to keep the complaining to a minimum Lol..

Quote:
If you are interested in seeing more snap shots I have taken on the trail there are some in my web site
You would be surprised at how many times I have visited your web site. There is a wealth of information that you have shared and I am appreciative. Thank you for doing that.

Old February 8th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Strictly paved roads only...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3909967689.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	113193
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Nah. Thats what a properly snorkled up tdi is about. There were several holes she dropped into where the bulkhead vents were leaking badly, ie engine fully submerged. Gear in the bed was wet. To give some context truck has 3 inch lift and was on 33's then so water was 4-5ft deep in places. Jason wasn't along that part of the shoreline and didn't get a picture.
hey now...this wasnt a tdi, though...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MAR2011-10-2-2011 161.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	113199  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 8th, 2015, 07:57 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post

Dayummm, you could surf that bow wave..
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Do you have a picture of my brother burying that one ? On that same course he had the water up on the windshield because he went out deeper.
That's my disco that got tagged by a semi and flipped three times down I95 in Maryland. Don't have many pictures of it. Had even forgotten I took two trucks to that event.....my cheese is slipping off the cracker. Sal gave me that truck. All I had to do is go up to Jamaica Queens with a car trailer and we used a come along to get her onto the trailer. Sold Goose the RoverTym bumpers and sliders off her.

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2015 08:04 PM ------

Quote:
Dayummm, you could surf that bow wave..
96, ecu is under the hood and must be protected ! Drowned it @ Rovers on The Rocks @ Rausch Creek a month later and Galpin and Huff used my co2 tank to blow it out in the dark and get her running again.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 8th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:

How does Doug even fit in a Disco? I feel like its a tight fit and I'm only 6'.
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
How does Doug even fit in a Disco? I feel like its a tight fit and I'm only 6'.
More room than a defender.
That truck had the saddle leather seats out of a range rover classic lwb in it. One of the first upgrades I made. Hate disco 1 seats.

I had the damn event staff yellow shirt on in that picture. Look like big bird.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 8th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I find that I actually have a place for my elbow in a disco and not as much in a defender. But without the soft top window door tops it's the best ever. Except for the bugs that clip the elbow haha.
Old February 8th, 2015, 09:22 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
96, ecu is under the hood and must be protected ! Drowned it @ Rover on The Rocks @ Rausch Creek a month later and Galpin and Huff used my co2 tank to blow it out in the dark and get her running again.
I remember that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	113208  
Old February 8th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I remember that.
Wow the pictures you guys are coming up with.
Yep there's Charles pulling the ecu with Trey and Huff standing by. That mud hole water @ Rausch stunk compared to the gin clear water of the James River in the previous pictures.

Difference was the hood went under @ Rausch. Jeff had a video of it. One of my mirrors was under.

As my niece says "Uncle Douglas never gets stuck, but he always breaks his truck "

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 8th, 2015, 09:33 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Wow the pictures you guys are coming up with.
Yep there's Charles pulling the ecu with Trey and Huff standing by. That mud hole water @ Rausch stunk compared to the gin clear water of the James River in the previous pictures.

Difference was the hood went under @ Rausch. Jeff had a video of it. One of my mirrors was under.

As my niece says "Uncle Douglas never gets stuck, but he always breaks his truck "
Thinking this was you (edit - or Doug Stephens) and I was shotgun on the deep side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	113209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	113210  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat