Do the D90 gods hate me!? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 27th, 2004, 09:13 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Talking Do the D90 gods hate me!?

I never drive the D90, it sits at home in a climate controlled garage as clean as can be and only gets driven about once every couple months to preserve her (yes, the D90 is my baby) and keep the miles off her. It has only been on the trails a couple times and nothing ever happens to it. It seems as though the more it sits in the garage living a good life without the torcher and beating it can take on the trail the more it breaks....I think the D90 gods are hating on me....It sat there for 3 months untouched and a sill (or however you spell it) goes out and has to be replaced...Now the bushings on, i beleive its the steering rod or one of them, has gone bad...Anyone else have the problems.

Jason Habbal
97 D90 ST #1104

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2004, 09:28 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Seriously that pretty thing needs more time off-road, yes I have seen it stuck. That being said I prolly drive mine as much as you drive yours. I think it's just a matter of the lifespan of certain parts, I mean it's almost 8 years old. Find out what all you gotta replace steering wise and is the seal that your tranny has been leaking from.
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:43 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

HAHAHA, yeah phil i know it needs more time off road but having it so clean and spotless if great....lol.....It probably is a matter of lifespan...Just kind of funny how you can take them wheeling all day long and then when you don't wheel them they start to break.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2004, 11:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCURoverD90
Just kind of funny how you can take them wheeling all day long and then when you don't wheel them they start to break.....

There you have solved your problem, My philosophy is Land Rovers have a mind of thier own and when not used for what they are intended they get pissed and therefore get even.
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:36 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I find that these trucks break faster if they're not used. My series trucks were the same When I had three of them it didn't matter what one I was using they all broke down anyhow. I think they have hidden expirey dates, so get the mileage out of them, they're going to break anyhow.
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:37 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Mike,
Its so weird how it works like that....I just can't bring myself to use mine as a dailey driver but hell I don't need stuff to start breaking all the time just sitting there....

Old October 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I think its actually common in any vehicle that sits around a lot. Seals dry out from lack of use, as do hoses, etc. Especially with an older vehicle. Of course some things do have a age issue with them, but I'm convinced it is accelerated with non-use. There are a lot of seals of various types in that truck, and they will last a lot longer if you can drive it a little more often. I don't drive mine daily anymore, haven't for over a year or so now, but I still try to start it and drive it at least once every two weeks... to the store, around the block, etc. They need regular use. And don't forget to engage the diff lock... it should be done monthly (or so I've heard). Its such a great vehicle, why don't you drive it more than once every few months? If you are away from home at school, etc, have someone you trust back home drive it, at least monthly, would be my advice.
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I'm with Dave, you need to drive it at least once a week for an hour or so, try get it on the highway for at least a 30 min run once a month. And like Dave said, play with the diff lock once a week if you can, they tend to get hard to use if they are not used that often. It is easier to take it for a ride around the block once a week then it is to find a problem related to not driving it.

Oh and if anyone around me needs someone to drive their 90 let me know, mine is taking a little rest right now.
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Actually, the Defender is like a loyal dog. It wants to go with you everywhere you go. If you take it to work or the store, it will wait patiently until you return, but if you leave it at home too much it will become neurotic, tear its own fur out, and soil the garage floor.

Defenders just make crummy garage queens.
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:59 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

If i don't take it around the block or to town for a quick trip, i usually just drive it around the yard a couple times to let everything move and stay lubricated etc. I am at school and my dad bought me the D90 last summer and we both just decided to let it stay in the garage most of the time and let it gain value etc...Sure i would like to be driving the D90 around in stead of a Plain Jane Toyota Tacoma 2 wheel drive but i just can't bring my self to park in on campus or at my apt so the toyota is a perfect fit..Plus the gas issue...A lot of people have told me that "if you can afford the 90, you can afford the gas for it"....Well i feel like if i can drive something that gets double the mileage, hell why not drive that...But i do see what everyone is saying about driving it around the block and so forth.....

Old October 28th, 2004, 01:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Think of it this way:

When you buy a brand new leather jacket, you really dont want it to get messed up and you are really wary of stains and stuff. But after you've had it for years and its all broken in, you like it that much better and couldnt imagine having to start over with a new one.

Defender is the same way. Mine has dings, faded paint, stains, abrasions, and it leaks. I like it that way and I cant imagine the horror of trying to keep a mint d90 in mint condition.

Additionally. the leather jacket, the dog, and the defender have something more in common - none of them are gaining any value and you dont buy them for an investment.

I suggest you take it out, leave it in the rain, let people door it (if they dare!) and get it good and broken in. Do regular maintenance and it will last forever.
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:55 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I don't see Defenders 'gaining value' anymore. They did for a few years after they stopped being imported, but they are now getting cheaper every year, far as I can tell. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against keeping in nice, and I think they will 'hold' their value very well for many years, especially if kept in good shape. But it's not a classic ferrari.

Shit, I'd have given anything to be cruising around campus in a D90 back when I was at school They had just come to the US at that time, but I think they are as cool now as they ever were... possibly more.

But I know what you're saying about gas and keeping it at home while you're at school. Just make sure someone drives it regularly if you can, you'll be happier about it in the long run. Sort of like hiring a dog walker, to continue Jim's dog metaphor
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:40 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
haha Dave most people around here dont really notice, shit most people have no clue what it is, there is a series truck here and people always say they saw a D-90 I just nod.

As far as these things gaining value I really dont see that ever happening, there are so many of them worldwide, perhaps the NAS may retain more value than the ROW Defender since they were limited in production and all, but I dont see people really making thier money back that they have invested into them. THe best way to get the money out of these things is to enjoy them however you do that is up to you..
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:06 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I beg to differ with everyone on the value issue...There are so many worldwide but i would hardly say that there is a huge supply in the US....Now from the US buyers market on something that is rare eventually people will pay what you want if they have the money and its of a big interest to them. Now I do appreciate the feedback on everything but its like with anything you buy....You go and beat the hell out of it your not going to get shit for it when you want to sell it..Now you take a Defender that has been sitting in a garage with 30K miles on it and it will be worth at least what you paid for it especially with the shit Land Rover is throwing out now....There is no way in hell i would buy anything from Land Rover (or Ford whichever you prefer) now with the shit thats coming out...I mean you can't expect something to gain value immediately but once you give it time while everyone else is driving and putting miles on them and beating the shit out of them, you have one that is there with very little miles and so forth, its going to be worth more and hopefully just like anyone else you want it to be worth more than you paid for it...Your correct in saying that its not a classic ferrari but i believe in the long run they will gain value. I don't know about most people but I did buy mine as an investment. I didn't buy it to take it on the trails and beat the hell out of it, and in all honesty i really don't like taking it one the trails...I would rather have it all cleaned up and be driving it around charlotte than out on the trails...Many of you will beg to differ but i guess thats just my style or however you want to portray it...I love being out in uptown charlotte around the bars with the 90 and showing it off.....

As for the D90 on campus...Phils right....me and him have been riding around campus before and people don't pay it any attention or think its a jeep...But i have been walking down the sidewalk before, passed a group of people, and heard them say something like "thats the guy with the D90." Some other people will stop and ask if you own the D90 and so forth.

Old October 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

We can argue the value point, and only time will tell that, but taking a truck on the trails isn't beating the shit out of it. You mentioned that 3 times in that post, but that's really not what trail riding is about. These are rugged, built-to-last vehicles designed for off highway travel. To actually do that with them is not beating the hell or shit out of them. Sure some might beat up their trucks off road, particularly in competitions and really hard core trails. But I think the majority of Defender owners who take their trucks off road, as well as other Land Rover owners who trail ride, do not beat on them at all, they enjoy them as they were designed to be driven. Real off roading isn't what happens on the TV commercials. Personally, I think you're missing out on the best aspect of owning a Defender, but I respect your right to drive it (or not drive it ) as you see fit.
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:45 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Your exactly right...Maybe my wording was a little off....I had no intentions of meaning that every LR on the trail was getting the shit kicked out of it by any means. But i have seen plenty of pics and home movies to show a D90 being "abused" if there is such a thing. I have had my truck on the trails and i do know about true-wheeling for the fact thats its not how fast you can get through the trail but other factors such as what lines to take, approach and departure angles and everything else BUT speed....Speed is the last thing you need to worry about when trail riding unless your doing the baja 500 or something.....

Old October 28th, 2004, 05:03 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
I don't know about most people but I did buy mine as an investment.
Hmmm, I don't know how to break this to you but your Defender is NOT an investment and will NEVER gain in value. In fact no mass produced vehilce will. The fact of the matter is vehicles depreciate in value despite condition. That's just how it is.

Now, this isn't to say a D90 won't hold is price around its MSRP that can certainly occur, but it will never gain in any form of monetary value, e.g. if you sell your D90 today for 10K more than you paid for it then you made a profit, but the value of the D90 didn't increase by $10K due to the sale. Stocks rise and fall due the economy, politics, etc. etc. but a vehicle, despite how well you keep it, will degrade over time.

DJ
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Thumbs up

DJ,

No offense, but for someone whose icon looks like that dude in roadhouse that gets knifed at the end, that was some smart shit about the investment value of the D-90.

Matt...
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think the reason 4wd's are shit now is because people dont use them for thier intendeded purpose so they get all cushy and electronic compare old rovers to new rovers nuff said.
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:16 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

When I worked at the dealer I had two types of D90 customers. First I had the I don't drive it types. These people typically got a new battery every year, tons of leaks, wierd electical no starts, new auto trans, dry rotted tires, fuel problems, rotted exhausts etc. (I had one guy who put a hardtop on for winter every year and took it off in spring to go to the shore. The truck had 24k last time I saw it. Got driven only in deep snow in winter and only at the shore during summer. He spent 3k a year keeping that thing maintained and paying to swap tops. The second type were those who drove them, at least 5k a year, most were 10k or more. These folks got brakes, tires every 60k, and the occasional problem but overall were quite reliable, much more so than a disco or range rover of equal miles and age.

My advice, buy one with miles and drive it. The 10-30k "gem" is usually a huge cost as compared to enjoyment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90