Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 20th, 2016, 06:53 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Do i need a customs broker....

Importing a chassis and a drivetrain from two separate vendors, two separate shipments. One has mentioned nothing of a customs broker, the other says I need my own.

Can the shipping company not handle this? Do I need to hire my own?

I was expecting to just pay freight and the 2.5% tax on the products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Importing a chassis and a drivetrain from two separate vendors, two separate shipments. One has mentioned nothing of a customs broker, the other says I need my own. Can the shipping company not handle this? Do I need to hire my own? I was expecting to just pay freight and the 2.5% tax on the products.
Yes, you will need to hire a licensed and bonded US Customs broker to file entry for you on each of your two shipments. Shipping companies do not typically provide a customs broker for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:12 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Thank you. Can this be done as the item ships or does it need to be done well in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Call Uncle Douglas and let him help you, he's da best!
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:47 AM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Just went through this on my 200tdi, you should have it done prior to shipment . . . was lucky enough to get Arkonik to have the shipping company do it for me although. They ended up doing all of the paperwork for me.

Will say prior to going that route they were going to need a copy of my social security card and a power of attorney I believe . . . easy enough. Doing it prior saves you on storage fee's if you get delayed getting your documents in order.
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Thank you. Can this be done as the item ships or does it need to be done well in advance
Yes and yes. The customs broker will typically want to have the manifest in-hand before a shipment ships, but it can be done enroute. However, the latter will likely cost you a bit more.

Documentation is key to preventing delays, which translates to additional costs (e.g., storage, inspection, etc.). In addition, you should fully expect both shipments to undergo intensive examination by CBP as they involve Land Rover parts, which are currently being targeted.

Customs brokerage is something that I will be offering through my new law practice, but I am still in the process of getting the bonding properly set-up. I've brought an attorney on board to work with me who is also a licensed US Customs broker. Stay tuned.

In the mean time, good luck with your shipments and feel free to drop me a line if you run into any difficulties.

Quote:
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:44 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Yes and yes. The customs broker will typically want to have the manifest in-hand before a shipment ships, but it can be done enroute. However, the latter will likely cost you a bit more.

Documentation is key to preventing delays, which translates to additional costs (e.g., storage, inspection, etc.). In addition, you should fully expect both shipments to undergo intensive examination by CBP as they involve Land Rover parts, which are currently being targeted.

Customs brokerage is something that I will be offering through my new law practice, but I am still in the process of getting the bonding properly set-up. I've brought an attorney on board to work with me who is also a licensed US Customs broker. Stay tuned.

In the mean time, good luck with your shipments and feel free to drop me a line if you run into any difficulties.

Thanks Will! I've reached out to Doug to help.
Old January 20th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Customs considers a personal shipment of goods valued below $2500 an "informal entry" and you can clear the shipment yourself by going to a US Customs office.

Above $2500 is considered a "formal entry" and requires an ISF/Security filing before the shipment is loaded on a ship or plane inbound to the US which is an electronic two part filing. Half is filed by the shipping line and the other half by the customs broker. The two are of course meant to match, if not, you draw further scrutiny.

The shipping lines half will show the seller of the goods listed as the "shipper" and the buyer of the goods as the "consignee". A quick back ground check is done on both parties. The brokers half will contain the importer's (buyer of the goods) social security and passport numbers as well as date of birth etc so the system can do a background before anything loads on a ship or plane. If anything pops up the shipment details get forwarded to Customs Advance Targeting Unit.

Failure to properly file the ISF before shipment can result in a fine of up to $5000.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Watch out y'all, because I am going to step on a soapbox for a few moments. This is really directed towards any potential novice importers out there.

There's an old saying that goes like this; "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". When it comes to importing, this phrase could not ring more true. In my opinion, it costs far less in the long run to pay someone with professional experience to aid you in importing a vehicles or parts as opposed to the costs of having to defend said items after the fact. And, as someone who regularly receives calls and emails from people whose vehicles or parts have been seized by US Customs & Border Protection, I can assure you that the cost on the front end is far less expensive than the cost on the back end.

Sure, importing a vehicle or parts may seem like it's easy but, in truth, there are more rules and regulations that need to followed than you realize. And, US Customs has no problem running up storage and inspection fees on shipments while you try to sort them out yourself. I've seen cases where the costs incurred under US Customs holds have outweighed the value of the vehicle or parts sought to be imported.

So, trust me when I say that you do not want to be a cautionary tale for someone else. If you're thinking of purchasing and importing something from abroad, then be sure to budget the cost for hiring professional assistance to help you do so. It is well worth your peace of mind because, honestly, attempting to import a vehicle or parts by yourself is just not worth the risk.

Quote:
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:04 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Watch out y'all, because I am going to step on a soapbox for a few moments. This is really directed towards any potential novice importers out there. There's an old saying that goes like this; "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". When it comes to importing, this phrase could not ring more true. In my opinion, it costs far less in the long run to pay someone with professional experience to aid you in importing a vehicles or parts as opposed to the costs of having to defend said items after the fact. And, as someone who regularly receives calls and emails from people whose vehicles or parts have been seized by US Customs & Border Protection, I can assure you that the cost on the front end is far less expensive than the cost on the back end. Sure, importing a vehicle or parts may seem like it's easy but, in truth, there are more rules and regulations that need to followed than you realize. And, US Customs has no problem running up storage and inspection fees on shipments while you try to sort them out yourself. I've seen cases where the costs incurred under US Customs holds have outweighed the value of the vehicle or parts sought to be imported. So, trust me when I say that you do not want to be a cautionary tale for someone else. If you're thinking of purchasing and importing something from abroad, then be sure to budget the cost for hiring professional assistance to help you do so. It is well worth your peace of mind because, honestly, attempting to import a vehicle or parts by yourself is just not worth the risk.
I think that's a great word of caution; but I wouldn't dismiss human capacity for learning 100%. When I did mine I spent 8 days reading every single line of import requirements until I was 1000% sure I was covering my bases. I ending up paying less to get the paperwork filed on both sides of the pond then some guys on this board have into their LED headlamps

I'd recommend anyone who doesn't have 60 (did I mention 5am phone calls every day for a week?) hours and low blood pressure to enlist a professional.

No risk, no reward

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat