Do i need a customs broker.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 20th, 2016, 06:53 AM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Do i need a customs broker....

Importing a chassis and a drivetrain from two separate vendors, two separate shipments. One has mentioned nothing of a customs broker, the other says I need my own.

Can the shipping company not handle this? Do I need to hire my own?

I was expecting to just pay freight and the 2.5% tax on the products.
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Willh's Avatar
Willh
Status: Offline
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wake Forest, NC, USA
Posts: 1,230
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Importing a chassis and a drivetrain from two separate vendors, two separate shipments. One has mentioned nothing of a customs broker, the other says I need my own. Can the shipping company not handle this? Do I need to hire my own? I was expecting to just pay freight and the 2.5% tax on the products.
Yes, you will need to hire a licensed and bonded US Customs broker to file entry for you on each of your two shipments. Shipping companies do not typically provide a customs broker for you.
__________________
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:12 AM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Thank you. Can this be done as the item ships or does it need to be done well in advance
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,974
Registry
Call Uncle Douglas and let him help you, he's da best!
__________________
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter - eBay.uk ad for Freelander.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:47 AM
wanabewheelin's Avatar
wanabewheelin
Status: Online
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 254
Registry
Just went through this on my 200tdi, you should have it done prior to shipment . . . was lucky enough to get Arkonik to have the shipping company do it for me although. They ended up doing all of the paperwork for me.


Will say prior to going that route they were going to need a copy of my social security card and a power of attorney I believe . . . easy enough. Doing it prior saves you on storage fee's if you get delayed getting your documents in order.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Willh's Avatar
Willh
Status: Offline
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wake Forest, NC, USA
Posts: 1,230
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Thank you. Can this be done as the item ships or does it need to be done well in advance
Yes and yes. The customs broker will typically want to have the manifest in-hand before a shipment ships, but it can be done enroute. However, the latter will likely cost you a bit more.

Documentation is key to preventing delays, which translates to additional costs (e.g., storage, inspection, etc.). In addition, you should fully expect both shipments to undergo intensive examination by CBP as they involve Land Rover parts, which are currently being targeted.

Customs brokerage is something that I will be offering through my new law practice, but I am still in the process of getting the bonding properly set-up. I've brought an attorney on board to work with me who is also a licensed US Customs broker. Stay tuned.

In the mean time, good luck with your shipments and feel free to drop me a line if you run into any difficulties.
__________________
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:44 AM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Yes and yes. The customs broker will typically want to have the manifest in-hand before a shipment ships, but it can be done enroute. However, the latter will likely cost you a bit more.

Documentation is key to preventing delays, which translates to additional costs (e.g., storage, inspection, etc.). In addition, you should fully expect both shipments to undergo intensive examination by CBP as they involve Land Rover parts, which are currently being targeted.

Customs brokerage is something that I will be offering through my new law practice, but I am still in the process of getting the bonding properly set-up. I've brought an attorney on board to work with me who is also a licensed US Customs broker. Stay tuned.

In the mean time, good luck with your shipments and feel free to drop me a line if you run into any difficulties.


Thanks Will! I've reached out to Doug to help.
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 20th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,839
Registry
Customs considers a personal shipment of goods valued below $2500 an "informal entry" and you can clear the shipment yourself by going to a US Customs office.

Above $2500 is considered a "formal entry" and requires an ISF/Security filing before the shipment is loaded on a ship or plane inbound to the US which is an electronic two part filing. Half is filed by the shipping line and the other half by the customs broker. The two are of course meant to match, if not, you draw further scrutiny.

The shipping lines half will show the seller of the goods listed as the "shipper" and the buyer of the goods as the "consignee". A quick back ground check is done on both parties. The brokers half will contain the importer's (buyer of the goods) social security and passport numbers as well as date of birth etc so the system can do a background before anything loads on a ship or plane. If anything pops up the shipment details get forwarded to Customs Advance Targeting Unit.

Failure to properly file the ISF before shipment can result in a fine of up to $5000.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Willh's Avatar
Willh
Status: Offline
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wake Forest, NC, USA
Posts: 1,230
Registry
Watch out y'all, because I am going to step on a soapbox for a few moments. This is really directed towards any potential novice importers out there.

There's an old saying that goes like this; "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". When it comes to importing, this phrase could not ring more true. In my opinion, it costs far less in the long run to pay someone with professional experience to aid you in importing a vehicles or parts as opposed to the costs of having to defend said items after the fact. And, as someone who regularly receives calls and emails from people whose vehicles or parts have been seized by US Customs & Border Protection, I can assure you that the cost on the front end is far less expensive than the cost on the back end.

Sure, importing a vehicle or parts may seem like it's easy but, in truth, there are more rules and regulations that need to followed than you realize. And, US Customs has no problem running up storage and inspection fees on shipments while you try to sort them out yourself. I've seen cases where the costs incurred under US Customs holds have outweighed the value of the vehicle or parts sought to be imported.

So, trust me when I say that you do not want to be a cautionary tale for someone else. If you're thinking of purchasing and importing something from abroad, then be sure to budget the cost for hiring professional assistance to help you do so. It is well worth your peace of mind because, honestly, attempting to import a vehicle or parts by yourself is just not worth the risk.
__________________
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:04 PM
NPT90's Avatar
NPT90
Status: Offline
JT
D90 óriginalé
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC/MD
Posts: 2,772
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Watch out y'all, because I am going to step on a soapbox for a few moments. This is really directed towards any potential novice importers out there. There's an old saying that goes like this; "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". When it comes to importing, this phrase could not ring more true. In my opinion, it costs far less in the long run to pay someone with professional experience to aid you in importing a vehicles or parts as opposed to the costs of having to defend said items after the fact. And, as someone who regularly receives calls and emails from people whose vehicles or parts have been seized by US Customs & Border Protection, I can assure you that the cost on the front end is far less expensive than the cost on the back end. Sure, importing a vehicle or parts may seem like it's easy but, in truth, there are more rules and regulations that need to followed than you realize. And, US Customs has no problem running up storage and inspection fees on shipments while you try to sort them out yourself. I've seen cases where the costs incurred under US Customs holds have outweighed the value of the vehicle or parts sought to be imported. So, trust me when I say that you do not want to be a cautionary tale for someone else. If you're thinking of purchasing and importing something from abroad, then be sure to budget the cost for hiring professional assistance to help you do so. It is well worth your peace of mind because, honestly, attempting to import a vehicle or parts by yourself is just not worth the risk.
I think that's a great word of caution; but I wouldn't dismiss human capacity for learning 100%. When I did mine I spent 8 days reading every single line of import requirements until I was 1000% sure I was covering my bases. I ending up paying less to get the paperwork filed on both sides of the pond then some guys on this board have into their LED headlamps

I'd recommend anyone who doesn't have 60 (did I mention 5am phone calls every day for a week?) hours and low blood pressure to enlist a professional.

No risk, no reward
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US customs JFD Misc. Chit-Chat 16 October 15th, 2009 01:41 PM
Can you get a truck through customs without a registered importer? bitz Defender Technical Discussions 35 July 23rd, 2009 01:24 PM
UPS charging customs duties and brokerage charges cgalpin Misc. Chit-Chat 7 November 26th, 2008 09:09 AM
Houston Customs Broker Needed pcarey Defender Technical Discussions 3 January 12th, 2006 10:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Copyright