Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 25th, 2015, 12:14 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
DIY garage in northern VA

Anyone have experience with this garage rental for DIY'ers in Sterling, VA?

http://sportscarshopinc.com/garageclub.html

I don't have a garage, so I'd love a place like this. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience working with them? TIA.

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2015, 01:19 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
We have a DIY garage here in Austin that I've used. But it's not membership based. It's pay as you use $20/hr.
I use it as I don't have what's needed at home.

I don't imagine that it could hurt trying them out. I wouldn't sign a contract though until I knew if I liked it or not.

Is it no commitment? Or is it pay a year up front ?
Old January 25th, 2015, 05:10 PM
dlbriller
Doug
1987 ex-MOD 'Tithonus' Defender 110

If you end up checking this place out, I'd be curious to know your thoughts are. $240 a year doesn't seem like a bad deal, even if you only use it a handful of times. I've been looking around for something like this in the NoVa area. While I can (barely) fit the Defender in my garage, there isn't actually much room to work on it after it's in and wrenching in the driveway in the cold isn't that much fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2015, 07:23 PM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

[ While I can (barely) fit the Defender in my garage, there isn't actually much room to work on it after it's in and wrenching in the driveway in the cold isn't that much fun.[/QUOTE]

If the drive isn't too much, and we can get another group together for "Church" I will open the shop up again for another session. Hoping to make the next HH

Chip
Old January 26th, 2015, 12:34 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I went there when it first opened, it wasn't bad and I was able to get everything I needed to do done with the equipment and space they provided. I definitely would go back if I didn't have the space to do work (which I do now).

I even needed a 2nd set of hands at one point to get an old shock off and they were more than helpful.
Old January 26th, 2015, 12:41 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I've always wanted to start something like this, but more of a LLC. Sort of like a Manhattan Cooperative ownership where you can be voted out (bought out) if a member turns out to be nuisance.

I don't have the space on my property to build a proper shop and can't justify the expense of owning an industrial or garage building. However, defray that cost among 10-20 "members" each with their own dedicated storage areas and it becomes a pretty cool concept. Everyone has their own tools and work area and there are "common" shop elements like spray booth, lifts odd-ball tools etc.

I'd join something like that in a heartbeat. $20/month isn't gonna get it done though. I'm talking about something more comprehensive with your own 24/7 access. Probably more like $250/month as a base, but I'd be all in for that.
Old January 27th, 2015, 06:23 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
I wasn't sure if these guys were still in business, as I found another DIY place that was near them, but they're no longer there. I'll have to go check out the place in person. The $240 annual fee ($20/month, one year commitment) isn't bad considering labor rates in the DMV area are over $100/ hour. Having access to a second set of hands is also appealing, but I'm curious about the depth of LR knowledge on their staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I've always wanted to start something like this, but more of a LLC. Sort of like a Manhattan Cooperative ownership where you can be voted out (bought out) if a member turns out to be nuisance.

I don't have the space on my property to build a proper shop and can't justify the expense of owning an industrial or garage building. However, defray that cost among 10-20 "members" each with their own dedicated storage areas and it becomes a pretty cool concept. Everyone has their own tools and work area and there are "common" shop elements like spray booth, lifts odd-ball tools etc.

I'd join something like that in a heartbeat. $20/month isn't gonna get it done though. I'm talking about something more comprehensive with your own 24/7 access. Probably more like $250/month as a base, but I'd be all in for that.
Not a bad idea. Then if you add fractional ownership of vehicles, it would be even better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKmtrsp View Post
...If the drive isn't too much, and we can get another group together for "Church" I will open the shop up again for another session...
It has been a while since there was "Church @ Chips"...for the next 'service' we need to get Jonesy to bring some of his Boston Butt...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat