Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 15th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Dividing Creek Restorations

most of you know good Ol Uncle Doug for importing and the plethora of knowledge he has about importing...and of course his encyclopedic knowledge of the Diesel engines and trucks in general.

Also you may know that I blew an LT77 recently (again) and finally bit the bullet and took Doug's advice (and Robert Davis' and Shayne's) and bought the R380 Stumpy from Ashcroft to mate up to my 200TDi.

I dropped it at Doug's and asked him to remove the old and drop in the new for me, plus do my timing belt and pulley while he was into it.
Well I picked it up on Saturday and Doug advised me that he could "revive" the legs of the old girl a bit and asked if I was cool with that. Of course I said "you are the TDi whisperer mate, do whatever you want" and he did...I tell ya what it now drives like a raped ape compared to when I had it. Not only shifts are extremely smooth but the power is up, it is quite Perky!!! And to top it off Doug helped me to be able to "roll some coal" or throw some "Prius Repellant" out when needed....I love it! Although a few cars and a soft top Jeep were not impressed with me as I giggled out loud going up a hill.

All in all if anyone is considering doing a full restoration or a tune up or any other type of work I would highly recommend Doug. And Trey. You will get class 1 service from a very knowledgable bloke. Trey may talk your ear off in the shop though...and be careful handling your flashlights after he gets hold of them

Give Doug a shout!
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cheers,

Funny a guy who shows up driving a prius would want to be able to roll coal on same.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 15th, 2015, 11:21 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Funny a guy who shows up driving a prius would want to be able to roll coal on same.
Not to mention names, but have known people who would move over 3 lanes on the expressway, just to get in front of a convertible or motorcycle.
The victims eyes start to sting... cough cough.
It's a bitch when backing up, otherwise they pour it on.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I am going to confirm these accusations against Uncle Douglas. After doing my head gasket on my 200Tdi he tuned it and it has soo much more power and runs smoother and better than before. But now I look one of those idiot teenagers in chipped out F250s rolling coal off the stop lights. Too much fun!
Old November 15th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Cheers, Funny a guy who shows up driving a prius would want to be able to roll coal on same.
My WIFES car thank you very much...ok yes, my daughter has one too. They offset my carbon footprint
Old November 15th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Not to mention names, but have known people who would move over 3 lanes on the expressway, just to get in front of a convertible or motorcycle.
The victims eyes start to sting... cough cough.
It's a bitch when backing up, otherwise they pour it on.
I have watched you do that, but your veg burner 300 tdi smelled like fried fish, that may be what was burning their eyes.

------ Follow up post added November 15th, 2015 03:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
My WIFES car thank you very much...ok yes, my daughter has one too. They offset my carbon footprint
It looked good wrapped around you. I couldn't pull that off.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 15th, 2015, 05:07 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

So did the r380 just bolt right up without any conversion? No special bearing or fork for the conversion?

Thanks
Old November 15th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ashcrofts makes these transmissions to order. They come with fork and bearing and a new shift knob. With shipping it was a tad over $2k which included a used r380 difflock mechanism which is different from an lt77 one.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 15th, 2015, 11:03 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Ashcrofts makes these transmissions to order. They come with fork and bearing and a new shift knob. With shipping it was a tad over $2k which included a used r380 difflock mechanism which is different from an lt77 one.
Thanks for the information! Is the shipping to "your door" or it to the terminal?

Thanks again!
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende View Post
Thanks for the information! Is the shipping to "your door" or it to the terminal?

Thanks again!
Jonesy paid for shipping to my shop. Its cheaper if you can pick up @ a major airport terminal. Ashcrofts ships via DHL.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 16th, 2015, 08:45 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Still a bargain. Even if one were to attempt to rebuild a transmission by onesself, you would wind up in parts, time and shipping far above this figure. I did the math and it was, and I hate to use this term, a "no brainer".

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Still a bargain. Even if one were to attempt to rebuild a transmission by onesself, you would wind up in parts, time and shipping far above this figure. I did the math and it was, and I hate to use this term, a "no brainer".
And Dave stands behind his product. Part of that group buy shipment I did for the forum a couple years ago was two replacement boxes for guys who had an issue. The short bell housing r380 is pretty much the ultimate transmission for the 4cyl trucks.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat