Discussing directions with girlfriend - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:31 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I just had a heated conversation regarding landmarks with regards to our current location with my girlfriend. I sat there while she pointed out things that were realistically 45-75 degrees off their actual location. Admittedly the iPhone proved me right, within 15 degrees or so (though she, after seeing me do it, conducted her own test and skewed the phone to make herself correct).
Do girls really, genetically, have a worse sense of direction? I've seen her walk out of a store in the mall and have no idea which way she came from... Or is it more if an attention to detail? I can forgive the being unfamiliar with driving in certain areas because generally I drive when we are together. But I'm wondering if it's truly a gender thing or if perhaps it's a case by case, men included, situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Not my wife. Not at all. I just have to choose different landmarks. Intersections are out, stores are in. But not just any store. I cannot say to turn right at the REI. She has not idea. I can, however, say to turn right at the intersection just past the DSW.
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Its really easy to get things wrong.

I swore we'd driven by our destination the other day, turned around and whammo, was I wrong. Turned around again, destination was 1/4 mile down the road from first turnaround point.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2014, 09:12 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
It can be confusing with a phone because as you know, the phone tries to rotate as you move etc etc and whenyoure in an unfamiliar place to begin with...

For me, I like to orient the map to "direction you're going is up" -but that is not the default.. If you're not using it as a map, then why does it always default to North = up? That is a throwback to when there needed to be a standard for printing maps in relation to the globe etc.. For showing information about ones route (GPS), current heading = up makes much more sense and is easier to follow. That way, what you see on the map is what you see out the windshield. Simple.

Regarding boys vs girls, I think it comes down to experience. I spent my youth riding bikes around unknown places, in the woods, trails, cities, etc from morning to night. I think you pick up a subconscience level of direction by wandering. direction of the sun rays/shadows, time of day, keeping your bearings, back tracking by looking for landmarks, etc etc it all comes with practice. I had to keep my GI-Joes on mission in the woods and you can bet your ass I wasn't going to get them lost! Barbie cant really do much inside except change clothes. Maybe that's why the wife is better at laundry-logistics than I am.?

My wife is a pretty poor navigator, but she's getting better. when she pays attention to the map she's good but the daydreaming and sight seeing get in the way. . . Can't cut those things out though or else why else would she agree to drive around in a loud smelly slow sauna for days on end!?!?!?!
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

As a physician I can tell you that genetically there's nothing that makes the male brain better or worse than the female brain in orientation or sense of direction.
On the other hand, it is also well understood that the "background" functions of the brain, that is what our brain perceives passively as we are engaged in other activities that require our full attention, are different between men and women. So short term memory between genders may capture completely different details and may account for differences in sense of orientation.

On the other hand differences among individuals are far greater than differences between genders. This means that the difference between two individual males are on average greater than between the average man and average woman.

Having said all this, environmental factors, such as education, parent expectations, dependence on other family members, obviously has historically made males more inclined to keep their bearings straight.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:29 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
There are many theories, but IMO, it goes back to the hunter (man) - gatherer (woman) days and the evolution of human societies. As such, we are wired this way. Lots of good books touch on this. One being Guns, Germs, and Steel.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:42 AM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
I just had a heated conversation regarding landmarks with regards to our current location with my girlfriend. I sat there while she pointed out things that were realistically 45-75 degrees off their actual location. Admittedly the iPhone proved me right, within 15 degrees or so (though she, after seeing me do it, conducted her own test and skewed the phone to make herself correct).
Do girls really, genetically, have a worse sense of direction? I've seen her walk out of a store in the mall and have no idea which way she came from... Or is it more if an attention to detail? I can forgive the being unfamiliar with driving in certain areas because generally I drive when we are together. But I'm wondering if it's truly a gender thing or if perhaps it's a case by case, men included, situation.
Yes, girls think differently then guys, I work for a large deliverly company and have trained well over 100 drivers over the last 35 years. Most of them have been male. About 10% female. Making deliveries is about logical thinking, do numbers run high to low? what side of the street is even? Generally guys are better at logical thinking, girls use land marks.
My wife will call me and say, where is 20 st? Of course being the ass that I am, I say it's one block north on 19 st. She still does not get it, she will say " if I'm leaving the mall w hich way do I go?" I say why are you at the mall, she said I'm not at the mall, I'm home, but I still have to give her directions as if she is leaving the mall. Yes, girls think differently then guys.
She has lost her car in the parking lot more times then I can remember. She has tried several times to get in the wrong car.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:46 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
We have an innate ability to navigate. To compensate, they've developed an innate ability to almost convince us that they're right and we're wrong. It's how they've survived this long.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:56 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarur View Post
As a physician I can tell you that genetically there's nothing that makes the male brain better or worse than the female brain in orientation or sense of direction..
As a physician myself, I would say you are wrong. There is a genetic difference, called the Y chromosome. You see how the Y splits in 2? We are genetically programmed to understand there are 2 ways to do anything, including being able to navigate 2 different routes, a fork in the road you could say. Women have 2 X chromosomes and everyone knows what XX means... I kid I kid!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:10 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
We navigate by visual land marks that we note when we are moving forward, so when returning the way we came from, the view is what you would have seen if you had eyes in the back of your head. Everything looks different.
So, it pays to glance backward every now and then to register those landmarks from the reverse view. I guess in some reptilian-brain proto-human hunter gather way, thats programmed into the male ROM. Situational awareness.
I'll also add that to your GF, the subject matter of the argument really doesn't matter. She'll only remember that there was a fight and not what you fought over. So in that frame of reference, don't fight cz no matter whether you win your point or not, you already lost. The right answer is something like, "hm, you could be right. let's try that" Then proceed to waste whatever time it takes. Winning.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:27 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzm41mquor...2009.26.41.png

This is interesting, I actually mapped where she was pointing in the discussion, obviously some of those arrows do not make sense to anyone who doesn't live here, in Newport, but note that she is almost EXACTLY 45-50 degrees off (pink arrows) from me (blue arrows) and I am about 85% accurate.

------ Follow up post added April 11th, 2014 08:30 AM ------

also note I made this graphic to illustrate to her that we were both 'wrong' but actually I moved my arrows farther off course to make her feel better lol. If we are both wrong I might actually survive the weekend haha
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
why is it that whenever a man is giving directions to another man, landmarks involving booze are THE BEST waypoints?

"Yeah, Sully, take a left at the 'packy, drive about 3 miles and halfway around the rotary taking a right at the bar."

Also, if you can navigate streets in New England (especially Boston), you can navigate anywhere. there is absolutely no grid pattern. What's worse than navigating in Boston you may ask? Try finding a cottage in Nantucket or MV with dirt roads and no street signs.

As far as woman navigators I have no empircal evidence (yes, Overlander... I'm using your word) but I have yet to experience a woman whom I trust with directions. I hope to be proven wrong someday.
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:20 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Yes girls think differently than guys and of course having sense of direction is a case by case. Just like anything you get better with practice. The person who drives or navigates the most is going to be better at it. I use both street address and landmarks. If I'm trying to give someone directions and I can tell they are not understanding addresses... I try the landmarks. I've even asked a confused person if the sun was setting in front or behind them. I agree that how you were raised has a lot to do with it. If a person is raised in an environment where they have not had the ability to explore their surroundings, venture out or build self-reliance then that will have an effect. I don't see how using street address...even and odd etc. as having more logic than using point of reference. If you go back to those hunter gatherer days before urban sprawl, GPS, Spot etcetc....point of reference was everything. 'When you get to the open field with a stand of large oaks with low hanging branches keep going a ways till you get to the creek..once you cross that go right'.. same on a river 'hard cut to the left, large gravel bar, high rock face, go river right'.. I've trained more employees than I can count as well and I see a difference in learning style but I wouldn't want to generalize and say that a male or a female has a gender specific aptitude for navigation. In my opinion it has to do with attitude and willingness to learn. If someone were to use a DSW as a point of reference to me I'd be in trouble...
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarur View Post
As a physician I can tell you that genetically there's nothing that makes the male brain better or worse than the female brain in orientation or sense of direction. On the other hand, it is also well understood that the "background" functions of the brain, that is what our brain perceives passively as we are engaged in other activities that require our full attention, are different between men and women. So short term memory between genders may capture completely different details and may account for differences in sense of orientation. On the other hand differences among individuals are far greater than differences between genders. This means that the difference between two individual males are on average greater than between the average man and average woman. Having said all this, environmental factors, such as education, parent expectations, dependence on other family members, obviously has historically made males more inclined to keep their bearings straight.
I'm a biopsychologist/neuroscientist and I have to say you are incorrect about the difference in abilities. There are differences in structure (corpus calosum is larger and more densely packed with interneurons in women) function (women tend to use both hemispheres more often than men) and behaviour (men do have a greater ability in some visiospatial abilities inc mental rotation than women do beginning in middle childhood). True about greater amount of differences within each sex than between them but there is still a significant size of effect between gender means in several abilities.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:10 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

As another physician (cause hey we all are today apparently) i can say that my wife is awesome with directions, navigating, always knows N,S,E,W etc which makes it easy to talk to her. Her sister though can get lost in her own room she is so bad a directions. Just luck of the draw!! (And I got damn lucky with my draw if you ever saw my wife standing next to me you would understand).
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:24 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Hilarious movie. One of my favorite movie quotes, "Cue the deer."
http://youtu.be/aV1wFtRi4m0?t=1m6s

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat