Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post

Its more than a pickup. Its a one ton plus, medium duty truck.
Interesting that diagram says the chauffeur is trained by the CIA...
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
Said the redneck...
Actually we prefer the term Florida Cracker. However, the Florida Cracker has become an endangered species, mostly because of all the golf-playing, non-driving, constantly-bitching ASSHOLE yankee retirees that move to Fla.

P.S. I was going to say Detroit but I don't think anyone actually lives in the city limits anymore so reason for the Pres to visit. But then it hit me, MIAMI! It was so obvious. But, alas, I had already hit "submit reply." Oh well, but hay, now that I have offended the entire Midwest Rover community - you guys want to meet up at the Midwest Rover Rally?
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:22 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I'd wager we ship fuel with the cars to eliminate all possibilty of any issues. The car has a blood bank of the Presidents blood in the trunk-so I'm sure fuel is also planned for. Secret service is responsible for the cars and their maint. If it truly was a fuel screw up, I'd bet some ones career is over.
We can't fly vehicles in military aircraft with more than a quarter tank of fuel in them.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2013, 03:59 AM
Abu Buckwheat
Malcolm
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
... It seems that this administration is way too casual about what they do, and how they do it, across the board. They need to step it up.

-Jeff
Jeff that's not fair to the President or the Administration. When I was on active duty I was once tasked with supporting the Presidential Prep mission under Reagan and its NOT handled by the White House. It is a special unit of the armed forces and Secret Service. The procedures NEVER change unless a failure like this happens. They carry a minimum of 3-4 Presidential AAVs as spares. This happens and has nothing to do with "the man in the chair." As we would say they work for the SEAT, not the MAN. The mission is the mission and these groups who are permanently assigned are jealous about it. I don't believe the diesel in a petrol tank story - its not run on diesel. That is not a car but a small tank with a Cadillac badge on it and it has as many go-no go maintenance prep checklists as the C-5 or C-17 that carried it.

These particular vehicles were ordered under President 43 and delivered to President 44 - that's the procedure. My guess is that it did not start readily, the Secret Service declared the vehicle as "mission incapable" and ordered it back to the airport. SS maintenance support then took it on a tow truck to not get in the way of the operable units or take manpower off duty. This thing is most likely on its way to Germany right now meeting a General Motors/Secret Service go-team to figure out what was the problem.

Bottom Line - This car is NOT a Land Rover.
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:45 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I think the Pres us getting let down by his forward teams and those responsible fur his vehicles and safety.
Remember the incident when the limo hi centered in Ireland?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:07 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

The fuel story sounds like a load of crap. I would venture that it's cover for something else.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:11 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I would venture to say this is probably a case of Mr. Murphy not giving a shit if you just did a 938 point inspection of said equipment, he is gonna fuck with it regardless. And that .02 cent cotter pin is going to break. And if you have ever worked around equipment, it is a given.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:14 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I don't buy it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 21st, 2013, 08:39 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wierd. There are now reports that the limo is powered by gas and someone put diesel in.

Can't trust the internet to even get simple things right!
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:04 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Unless the original article was corrected without notice, that's what it said originally.
...mistakenly filled with diesel fuel rather than petrol.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:15 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Yet, the graphic posted by Viggen indicates that it's a diesel.
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:18 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Yet, the graphic posted by Viggen indicates that it's a diesel.
It is a diesel. CNN released a corrected story. "The Beast" is basically a rebodied one of these:

Its got a Duramax in it. I think the Brits just assume that its a gasser since just about everything else in the US is.
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:39 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
This is a good read for those interested. while it looks like a caddy even the body panels are completely customs and don't necessarily go with each other.
Basically a tank with a cadillac outward appearance

Current model

A side view of the 2009 limousine.

Presidential State Car from the front

The 2009 limousine makes its debut in the 2009 inaugural parade, guarded by Secret Service agents. Behind it are the two backup 2005 limousines previously used by President George W. Bush.

On both domestic and foreign trips, the limousine is transported in a C-17 Globemaster III.

The current presidential limousine entered service on January 20, 2009. According to the manufacturer, General Motors, the 2009 presidential limousine, based on the Cadillac DTS, is the first not to carry a specific model name.[1][2] The vehicle's outward appearance carries many current Cadillac styling themes, but does not resemble any particular production vehicle. The body itself seems to be a modification of the immediately previous DTS-badged Presidential limousines, but the vehicle's chassis and driveline are sourced from the Chevrolet Kodiak commercial truck.[2][3] Many body components are sourced from a variety of Cadillac vehicles; for example, the car uses Cadillac Escalade headlights, side mirrors and door handles. The tail of the car seems to use the taillights and back up lights from the Cadillac STS sedan.[4] Although a price tag has not been announced, each limousine is assumed to cost US$300,000.[5][dubiousdiscuss]
[edit] General specifications

The Secret Service refers to the heavily armored vehicle as The Beast.[6] Most details of the car are classified for security reasons. A special night vision system is in a secret location. Special loops replace the stock door handles; agents hold on to them when running alongside the car. Goodyear run-flat tires fit into extra-large wheel wells. The car is sealed against biochemical attacks.[7] Kept in the trunk is a blood bank of the President's blood type.[8][9]
The car can seat seven people, including the president. The front seats two, and includes a console-mounted communications center. A glass partition divides the front from back. Three rear-facing seats are in the back, with cushions that are able to fold over the partition. The two rear seats are reserved for the president and another passenger; these seats have the ability to recline individually. A folding desk is between the two rear seats. Storage compartments in the interior panels of the car contain communications equipment which is called the Limousine Control Package and is operated by the White House Communication Agency. This is the voice and data device that links the vehicle to the WHCA Roadrunner at the rear of the motorcade allowing command and control (or "C2") functions to be performed from the limo. The trunk lid has five antennas.[7] The car is driven by a highly trained Secret Service agent who is capable of performing a J-turn. This maneuver, taught at the Secret Service training facility outside Washington D.C., can turn the limo 180 degrees in matter of seconds to escape any trouble. The President's lead protective agent usually sits in the front passenger seat.
On domestic trips, vehicles carrying the president display the American and Presidential Standard flags, which are illuminated by directional flood lights mounted on the hood. When the President performs a state visit to a foreign country, the Presidential Standard is replaced by the foreign country's flag.[7] The limousine is airlifted for domestic and international use primarily by a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III.[10]
The vehicle fuel efficiency is about 8 miles per US gallon (29 L/100 km; 9.6 mpg-imp).[11][12][13][14]
The United States government also operates similarly designed limousines for VIP guests, visiting heads of government, and heads of state.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 21st, 2013, 10:40 AM
javelinadave
-
-

This is management 101. Take care of and respect the troops and they go the extra mile to take care of you. Neglect the troops and they just do their jobs, no attention to detail.
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:53 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Wonder if it went down like this???
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:17 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

This isnt the first time the limo has broken. He was in it when there was a massive suspension failure when he was in Ireland leading to the limo beaching itself on a curb ramp.

Old March 21st, 2013, 12:08 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
regarding the limo story.. my thoughts are that someone snapped the car on the flatbed and made up a story, the world wants to call the US dumbfucks and so the "story" gets out there. I have more faith in the people that surround the president and are in charge of his security.. to believe that the vehicle would get the wrong fuel.

anyway.... this guy I have no faith in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post

Wonder if it went down like this???

"Dude! Punch It!"

and they just run it.. f'n idiots.
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:32 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I'd wager we ship fuel with the cars to eliminate all possibilty of any issues. The car has a blood bank of the Presidents blood in the trunk-so I'm sure fuel is also planned for. Secret service is responsible for the cars and their maint. If it truly was a fuel screw up, I'd bet some ones career is over.
There was a pretty good show on Nat Geo net the end of the Bush administration about his trip to Africa and Iraq. They followed the advanced team and the actual flights. The fuel is tested I think a month if not longer in advance and then sealed by the Secret Service to keep it from being tampered with. In some countries fuel is brought in.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat