Discoweb? Not so much :( - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 1st, 2010, 09:23 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

$400 for a '04 D2 linkage isnt too far off base... the market dictates the price.. people are paying that much for it.. EE charges $700 for it new... The alternative though is to use a D1 linkage and slightly modify it.. thats what I have and it works 100% fine.. don't need the fancy solenoid activated one as long as you put together the D1 one nicely and make sure you use it occasionally. You can get a good D1 linkage for $100 or less.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...Q5fAccessories
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Hey Ryan,

I was considering do the D1 CDL conversion, but after searching (like a good boy ) I have seen many negative comments about it. And not one bad comment about the '04 CDL conversion (except maybe the price). I also hear the install on the D1 CDL is a pain.

'04 CDL's have sold for $250 - $350. So, I think $400 plus shipping is a little high. Certainly not in the "least expensive to be had" department. Market has dictated the price for several years now, and the price seems to be low $300 range. I'll just be patient until one pops up, and then I can jump on it.

Regarding the $400 CDL, it's a long story, but he has it listed at $400 or "best offer". I offered him $325. Answer: No, w/ no counter. OK, so I offered $350. Answer: No, w/ no counter offer. No big deal, just not the dialogue/negotiating I am used to here on D90 Source.

That really is all I am trying to point out.

------ Follow up post added December 1st, 2010 09:44 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
That one is the D1 CDL linkage. Also overpriced @ $170, and from the same "vendor" on DiscoWeb. That proves the theory in my eyes, not near the "least expensive to be had".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

Dweb is my homepage, for a reason.

but D-90 is the first on my favorites tab.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Yeah, I saw the thread on there.. you definitely had a point with what you said, but in the end, he determines what he sells it for.. and since used '04 CDL shifters are pretty rare (gotta find a wrecked '04), it seems like there will be someone to buy it for that price.

'04 D2 linkage is hands down a better linkage than then D1 one -- BUT, does it really matter all that much? As long as you get it installed and it works, you use it a couple times a month while wheeling, and if it works, then it works. Thousands of people use the D1 linkage on discos,defenders,RRCs, etc.. without a problem... the negative things you are reading is basically just people bitching to bitch. For 2-300 less and about 5 minutes extra in install time, I think it's worth getting the D1 linkage...

Here is an excellent write up on how to install it: http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=3248
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Thanks Ryan,

I appreciate the advice and the link. Saving a couple hundred $$ sounds nice. More money for other stuff.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller View Post
Yeah, I saw the thread on there.. you definitely had a point with what you said, but in the end, he determines what he sells it for.. and since used '04 CDL shifters are pretty rare (gotta find a wrecked '04), it seems like there will be someone to buy it for that price.

'04 D2 linkage is hands down a better linkage than then D1 one -- BUT, does it really matter all that much? As long as you get it installed and it works, you use it a couple times a month while wheeling, and if it works, then it works. Thousands of people use the D1 linkage on discos,defenders,RRCs, etc.. without a problem... the negative things you are reading is basically just people bitching to bitch. For 2-300 less and about 5 minutes extra in install time, I think it's worth getting the D1 linkage...

Here is an excellent write up on how to install it: http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=3248
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

I enjoy discoweb and all the BS arguements and pissing matches that go back and forth. It purely entertainment and the people on there know it. Most of the people on there that are considered the worst I actually know in person and they are not what they are on discoweb.

In relation to your CDL shifter quest I would just go with a cheap D1 shifter. It's what I have and works great.

**discoweb mode on** Drillbit aka Marty is a lying sack of shit and I wouldn't deal with him if my life in rovers depended in it. If you want to know about his business practices just read his ebay feedback.**Discoweb mode off**
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post

In relation to your CDL shifter quest I would just go with a cheap D1 shifter. It's what I have and works great.
Thanks for the advice (all of it).
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I am sure the admin could add a Discovery and Range rover page for the forum... That would be the ultimate Hijack.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Theres always Expedition Portal, now thats a warm and fuzzy BB
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Theres always Expedition Portal, now thats a warm and fuzzy BB
It's a shame about Expedition Portal. When I first saw it, I thought that it would be great. Then it turned out to be a mutual rub-fest with no room for critical comments.

I grew sick of it and asked to have my membership removed.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu454 View Post
It's a shame about Expedition Portal. When I first saw it, I thought that it would be great. Then it turned out to be a mutual rub-fest with no room for critical comments.

I grew sick of it and asked to have my membership removed.
so you drama queened it on your way out the door? how about, just dont log on. thats all you really need to do.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
stu454
Stu
2007 LR3

Sending a p.m. to the administrator asking 'Would you remove my membership?' is drama queening?

Pound sand, Hedy.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

D-web has gobs of knowledge and quite a few write ups in the tech area. Yeah you will be told to search for things, I suffered through the same searching and going through threads. Will Tillery is THE parts man! I buy every single part, new or used from him. He ships super fast and is very fair on pricing. I will warn you he is not normally very polite on the phone as he is always busy, but he will get you what you need. I also have a DI linkage and shifter for my CDL, works great and wasn't so terrible to install. Just have plenty of beer and patience!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Staci,

are you heading this way in January?

( signature line *LOL* )
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:48 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

get the Ashcroft CDL kit, around $400 new, and works great.
The nice thing about D-web is after the initial weeding process there is lots of info, and a handful of great guys. As someone said above, even the 'bad' eggs are decent in person. The freedom of the computer screen is like watching teenagers with freedom for the first time over there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:03 PM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Staci,

are you heading this way in January?

( signature line *LOL* )
Ahahaha such a funny man. That is when the current occupant of my belly will be evicted!! Although he has tried to make his appearance a few times lately. I figure your punk ass come down then or April, your choice. Those are your ONLY two options, not coming at all is not acceptable nor will be acknowledged! Mellie will be here in January and April, as well as Tami so you can make all three of us happy with one visit!!
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I am sure the admin could add a Discovery and Range rover page for the forum... That would be the ultimate Hijack.

Here..... Here!!!

That's funny, I just registered on discoweb a couple of days ago. Will I be ignored on there too!
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

DWeb is a great group "overall" but there is certainly a weeding process and a bit of right of passage. Can be irritating for sure however for the most part it's one very good bunch that would bend over backwards to help you.

Doug
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Drillbit
Marty Powell
99 D90 TD5 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post

**discoweb mode on** Drillbit aka Marty is a lying sack of shit and I wouldn't deal with him if my life in rovers depended in it. If you want to know about his business practices just read his ebay feedback.**Discoweb mode off**
Trevor is just upset his kids look like me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
disco