Disco series II question. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Disco series II question.

I will ask here, since I know this crew better than people on a new board.

I have a friend who purchased a '99Disco II (Against my recommendations, as she is not an older rover type person) She has recently had some "issues" with it, and is going to sell it shortly. I am wondering if it is a reasonable vehicle to buy. I have a D90 now, and have owner a beat-up '87RRC in the past, so I am well versed in the Dark Prince, and other rover idiosyncricies. Looking for some experienced opinions on the series 2's and how they are for daily runners, towing, general living with.

Thanks for any insight.
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2008, 06:50 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Disco II Question

I have a '99 Disco II as well. What trouble has she had? ALL early Disco IIs need to have head gaskets and valley pan gaskets replaced at around 65-70k miles. Otherwise they will blow and you'll have an even more costly repair on your hands. Ask me how I know.

All in all, I like the Disco II. (I also have a D110 and a '61 Series II) The ride is a little stiffer than the D110, but it's very capable off road and is comfortable on the highway. I sought out one with no air suspension, no sunroofs, and no ACE. I've been pretty happy with it.
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

It is in need of suspension air bag replacement. the sunroofs don't work right. Currently the tranny won't engage. She told me about this last one today, I will have a look at it next week, but she said that she was driving and the whole truck just died. and now she can't get it to go into gear, she shifts the lever, but it doesn't engage. I will have more info next week. I am not familiar with ACE, what's this?
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Active Cornering Enhancement. It was the early version of what Rover now calls Dynamic Response System. Essentially it uses hydraulics to replace a sway bar and adapts to keep the vehicle level when turning. The ACE system isn't bad, but it is really noisy. There is a pump (similar to a PS pump) on the engine and it howls like crazy. The air bags are no big deal, just order 'em through AB and you can swap em in a couple hours. If you have done it enough times you can do it in about a half hour probably but for a first time, expect it to take longer. Land Rover sunroofs are POS'...I would find one without them, but if this one has 'em and you can close them without them leaking I would just close 'em and leave 'em alone. You can replace the slides that go bad, but I think it is costly and will take a while your first time. The trans is the only thing I would be concerned about on it. Keep an eye on your radiator though, Disco II's have notoriously shitty radiators and brake light switches (when the brake light switch fails the veh can't be put into gear b/c it won't release the shift interlock solenoid) so you will have to pull the bezel off the shifter and manually operate the solenoid to get it home if it goes out.
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
We had a '99 Disco SII that we bought in spring '00. We had our first kid when we bought it and sold it when #3 came along (needed more room). We drove it all over the north east with many trips to VT, MA north shore, and upstate NY. No off-road use but I remember some pretty hairy snow storms with it and it was very predictible and very good in the snow.

We had the twin sunroofs and for most of our ownership they worked fine and are a nice feature esp with the rear most one. But before we sold it one started to rattle and IIRC there was an issue with a switch at one point. I had it serviced most of it's life at the local LR dealer as we got an extended warranty when we bought it. It's been some years since we've had it and when I traded it in I forwarded all the service receipts so I don't recall what was done.

Ours did not have the ACE setup and I am happy it didn't. My sister-in-law had one w/ ACE and it was very noisy. She had a bunch more problems with her Disco but she is also notoriously unlucky with cars. I'm not sure how much the ACE helps anyway - ours seemed to corner flat and predictable especially for what the vehicle is. My daily driver at the time was a Audi A4 w/ a Koni coilover suspension and I didn't have problems going back and forth between the 2. I think LR's have a nice feel with their heavy frames/lower center of gravity.

I carried loads of sod, lumber, tools, and with the high roof line it was great to put in and out the roto-tiller from the rental place. We had the 7 seater which was very handy for bringing the kids friends or their cousins along and the seats folded up nicely out of the way when not in use. We had a Thule box for our ski stuff and during the summer also had a bike rack off the receiver. We definitely gave it some use but I tried to matain and fix any issues the best I could and was always happy with it.

My favorite part of the Disco were the ergonomics - the seating postion and dash layout worked very well for me. I know it's a personal thing but I can't think of another SUV we have owned that I liked as much. We also had the tan interior and I have to say it wore very well - it never seemed to get that dirty - which is a good thing w/ kids and a dog and hauling gear. At one point it was 1 of 3 vehicles in the driveway and it would be the first for me to drive for errands or anything requiring some utility.

Engine power and MPG leave something to be desired but it's an SUV and a LR. I don't know how many SUV's from 1999 that I'd drive now that would look or feel as good as a Disco. I know I wrote a bunch but hope at least a little bit helps you.
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:12 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I have a D2.. '01 w/ ~92k miles on it and have worked on a lot of them... they generally arent too bad with issues.. The airbag problem -- I'd ditch that right away and get springs... sunroofs, may be a lot of things, but parts are available to fix them... The tranny--not sure, maybe she put the transfer case into neutral.. there is also a lockout solenoid that brakes sometimes but I dont think it'd shift then... could also be a driveshaft is busted and without CDL it's not able to move.

The *main* issues with D2s:

- Head Gaskets ... they go.. usually only once
- Three Amigos -- HDC/ETC/TC lights come on, has to do with the ABS sensor.. there are 100 reasons why this may happen, and 1000 ways to try to fix it.. usually they are fixable, sometimes you just live with it forever.

Do you want it as a daily driver or offroader? The D1 is a lot better than the D2 for wheeling in the disco world.. Disco2 is limited with watts linkage [rear suspension], semi-floater axles, etc.. Don't get me wrong, they are offroadable and I wheel mine hard... but there are just some better features on the D1.

Towing -- Not really the vehicle for it.. check here; http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45063

Depending on the issue with the tranny, if you can pick it up for around 4-5k or so, I'd say jump on it..

Here's a few threads to get you jump started;
http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42618
http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34174
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I've had two...a '99 and an '01. I had loads of issues with the '99 but the '01 was fine except for the ACE system. I replaced ACE pumps (fortunately under warranty) every 10-20K miles. That was the only reason I got rid of that one. The extended warranty was for 100K. I traded it at 98K.

They are very easy to set up for good daily and trail use. For sure the '01 was the best mixed use Rover we've had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snorkel.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	11845  
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, and this is as important as the Oil Cooler lines on a D...

CHECK YOUR FRONT DRIVE SHAFT FREQUENTLY!!!!!

They usually go at around 80k but if the joint fails at good speed it whips the shaft into the trans and cracks the case, causing leaks and the need for a new trans. The shaft is a bit pricey but nowhere near the cost of the shaft & trans. Check it often and if you have any doubt...change it asap!

I have seen quite a few of these come in on the hook with the shaft dangling and leaking trans fluid. The most recent one the customer was really lucky and she noticed a bad vibration so she brought it right in. When we put it on the rack we found that the joint was cracked in half and it was just hanging on by a thread...it was really a miracle she made it in without throwing it.

BTW: Kevin, I love that color...Kinversand or something like that right?
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have a 2000 DII, from new, and have about 165,000 miles. It is my daily driver and I wheel it from time to time (but the D90 is what I typically use off road). It is lifted, ARB, all that kind of stuff. I did not get ACE/AIR or Sunroofs for fear they may break. I love the truck. The ABS/HDC/TC lights are constantly on (I don't care too much), most the door locks don't work (they are a pain to fix), and the transmission is starting to clunk (I need to inspect the input gear). I, actually, highly recommend them. Excellent off roader (probably better than the D90, mainly due to great wheelbase length), extremely comfortable, and some of my friends that truly off road theirs (lifted, locked, suspension mods) and they kick ass. If you could get a good deal, and can work on them yourself like a D90, I would highly recommend it---IF YOU CAN LIVE WITH THE MILEAGE. Same as a D90, or my 88RRC--14mpg.
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
BTW: Kevin, I love that color...Kinversand or something like that right?
Kinversand is a cool color...but since I went to Texas A&M I wouldn't be able to get away with that. For some reason in that picture it looks very bright...but it is Alveston Red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disco01.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	11851  
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:47 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Well, after more research, with the towing needs I have, I will stick with the current SUV, and move up next year to a diesel truck.

Thanks for the responses.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
disco, series