Digital TV - any insights? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Angry Digital TV - any insights?

So been with DirecTV for almost 9 years. Left cable cause of issues. In the day our local cable provider refused to pay NBC so they dropped the channel.
Today DirecTV installed a mandated free upgrade satellite dish and an HD receiver (not free but $10 a month more) as they are going all digital in 2008 (so they told us) and this is needed. Then the kicker, now I need to upgrade all 3 receivers to HD digital.

DirecTV monthly service at $40 + ($5 a lease per receiver now becoming $15 ($5 lease + $10 HD) x 3)
Monthly Bill yesterday $55
Monthly Bill today $90

Local cable company, Time Warner seems to be the same price wise, but is this whole thing right, am I getting this HD vs digital vs both correct? And is it really suppost to be that the end consumer is paying this? Oh, and the funny thing on my 42" plasma, I am really not seeing the difference other than the local channels and old shows not upgraded!

What the f@#% am I missing?
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2007, 01:31 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Not everything is broadcast HD. If a show is broadcast HD, you'll notice the difference. Tune to PBS HD or Discovery HD to take a look at high def.

Digital does not mean high definition. High Def may be digital, but just because a channel is digital doesn't make it High Definition.

Need to make sure you have a connection between your receiver and your television that supports high def. (HDMI, DVI, Component)
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I am hooked up with HDMI. DirecTV does not supply any cables, other than coaxal from satellite to receiver. Leaves all other connections to the customer, no big but it would have been nice had they said so first.
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Make sure your boxes are the HD, not just digital boxes.

Comcast costs me a small fortune a month for two HD boxes (only up to 1080i not p), cable internet, and phone.

Direct TV is better. I am sure you can buy the new boxes instead of rent.

The FCC is making all the TV go digital by feb or 2009 so that is why the push now. Otherwise no one will have TV and demand digital all at once.
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
The FCC is making all the TV go digital by feb or 2009 so that is why the push now. Otherwise no one will have TV and demand digital all at once.
They're just stopping the free radio transmissions of TV I believe. In order to free up those frequencies.
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Give DirecTV a call, let them know you are planning on leaving...I'm sure they won't want to lose a long time customer. You won't go back to $50 a month but I'm sure they'll meet you somewhere in the middle.

How old/new is your plasma? No insult intended, but are you sure it's a HD Plasma?
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

EvilFJ is right, the FCC is mandating that all Analog signals be shut down in the near future and that all signals go to digital. It's cable, satellite and antenna that is making the switch. You can already get digital and HD via antenna in some places, not sure too much about that though as I haven't used an antenna for a TV in years.

For older non-digital TV's you are going to need a converter to keep using them, and many places don't even carry analog tv's anymore. Heck, I think there is only one company that still makes them. There is a government program to rebate you the cost of two converter boxes, but I haven't looked into that yet as we only have one old TV left that we are planning on switching anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The FCC won't let me be or let me be me so let me see.
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I guess its a lot of sticker shock. The amazing thing - two options to "own" receivers; you buy one at say BestBuy, you spend about $140, or you get it free from DirecTV (with a 1 yr contract). But either way, DirecTV then charges you a $4.99 monthly lease per unit. Now that is on top of the monthly charge for service
Choice Plus service $51.99
3 receivers ($4.99x3) $14.97
Digital /HD service $ 9.99
HDMI cables ---- got to go to radio shack

Now, I have complained at bit here so the other side (Ade no insult ever taken on this site TV is HD) but last night after re-wiring the set up ... good god! I watched a show on the Smithothian channel HD on Washington DC monuments. It came through crystal clear, and what a vivid picture. Guess I got to start watching more TV! With NBC / ABC/ CBS etc have few shows of interest for me the other channels are interesting. I got excited over the preview of the 25 yr anniver. show on the Viet Nam wall (runs next month). A damn commercial got me choked up!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht