Diesels - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey Mike,

Rad Relief? Is that a coolant additive? You said it works, I would be very interested. Thanks

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2003, 02:03 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Well it seemed to work in my truck.
A discovery had overheating problems while hauling up long passes in the Atlas Mountains, My 110 just pulled hard to the top and the temp gauge didn't shift from normal. Strangely it warms up a whole lot quicker too, this was one of the advertised benifits. Don't ask me why or how, thats a question for a boffin.
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:04 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Sorry , yes its a coolant additive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2003, 02:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

OK, very cool. All the LR Diesel's seem to heat up on long uphill pulls. Can you give us the full name and where to get it. I wonder if it is only available in the UK. BTW, what time is it over there right now?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 1st, 2003, 03:39 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Right, found the advert, It's called Radiator Relief.
www.agriemach.com
As for the time we're now with GMT which for some reason is an hour earlier than the web site says it is.
My 110 doesn't heat up at all on long hills. The 90 does but the radiator is old and has a lot of scale on the inside, it doesn't transfer the heat to the outside world very efficiently. The temp creeps up on motorway runs. I've got a new rad to put in but haven't quite got round to it.
Old November 1st, 2003, 03:55 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

cool, thanks!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:24 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Overdid it on the wading again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Water over the bonnet (hood) and coming out the heater vents
Engine kept running though
Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
a little late but if it the ECR project discotec i have seen that thing before. looked good. It was here in NC at a non dealer LR repair shop getting a new tranny... the orginal owner sold it. i dont know much other than that.
Old November 21st, 2003, 02:55 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
And the answer to glow plugs?

Quote:
I Personally have ordered a HS 2.8 TGV TDi and its on the boat from South America as we speak coming for my Land Rover 110.....i am going to build the kit and installing it in my own shop in Langley BC......
Gord,

How are you looking to remedy the lack of glow plugs in the 2.8 from Brasil? Especially given your in Canada. Just curious. That seems like a showstopper.

A block heater is marginal because your limited to where you can plug it in. Unless of course you plug it into your batteries via an inverter. Then your totally self sustaining!

I picked up some discussion in the yahoo group (2.8), but found it very limited in what people were thinking of doing.
Old November 21st, 2003, 03:00 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

Well there are always the preheaters that run on diesel. If I ever get around to putting in some form of diesel engine I plan on getting a preheater with a timer to lessen the wear on the engine during the weekdays.
They also have ones with remotes so if you are say, in your house on a weekend and know you want to take off in about 15 minutes, you hit the button and it starts warming things up.

They also have cab heaters small enough to fit in a Rover. It'd be so nice going out to the truck in the morning and having it heated inside as well as the engine. Ahhh...to dream. I have yet to find a price on the setup though.

pwc

Old November 21st, 2003, 03:12 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/heat.html

Funny, my parents live in Switzerland. Perhaps I'll have to pick up some parts on my way back over the holidays...
Old November 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. (Damn I need to search more on this site before I open my mouth). Although in the US they don't offer the same amount of remotes and timers as they do in the UK/Europe.
Webasto is another brand sold here.

Old November 21st, 2003, 04:06 PM
exmodlad

the lack of glow plug had me concerned also....but i have been told this engines will start down to -15 without glowing.....and in my application i don't do any real cold weather driving......first i don't like the cold or snow....(maybe i should move to Mexico....but then its to hot....just can't win)...when i can actually put my hands on my engine to see whats there i am going to very wealthy in knowledge of this engine and the overall conversion requirements.....won't be long now.....

i am looking froward to doing the R&D for the installation....there has been lots of comments.....but to actually have hands on experiance is the only way to go....

Gord
Old November 28th, 2003, 08:33 AM
merv
Merv
D110 2003

As to towing experience with Defenders, I used a 200tdi D90 to tow a twin axle trailler with a D90 trailer bitch on it for years. I now use a D110 with a Td5 to tow a twin axle trailler with D90 (soon to be a tomcat) on it. td5 wins hands down. 200tdi was still ok.
Merv.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel