Diesels - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 24th, 2003, 08:04 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Yep that Camel trophy stuff is strictly for people who don't have to pay for their own repairs!
Don't know how 'sealed' the filler cap can be. Air has to get in the tank somehow to alow the fuel to be pumped out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I thought there was a vent on the top of the tank? I have heard of fuel getting in the gas caps that are lockable.
Old October 24th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

With a diesel, if you run all the breathers into a snorkle including the gas tank breather you can park the truck in 7 feet of water and leave it there as long as it has fuel. You have to take the necessary precautions. I have a big open element K&N in the engine bay so I can go nowhere near water until I made some changes. I am in San Diego so I don't really need to worrie about it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2003, 04:29 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
The vent from the top of my tank links to the top of the filler neck as an aid to fast filling. The filler cap has a small hole in it to let air in as the fuel is pumped out, that's where the water can get in.
I suppose I could replumb it all and seal the fuel cap
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Britt Easterly
Britt Easterly
97 Defender 90

R.B.

I know of the mountain passes you speak of. Regardless of deisel or petrol either one will not help facing Gorge winds. Someone said it best "they are like driving a brick". So if you need a towing vehicle I suggest you start looking at others, that are not like driving a sail into the wind.

But damn I love my 90

Old October 27th, 2003, 11:33 PM
R.B.Bailey
R. Ben Bailey
1965 Series IIa 88"

So you graduated from the Disco to the 90 hu? Did you sell your Disco?

From talking to people here and there, it looks like I will need to get a 4.6 pursuit V8, or the 2.8 Power Stroke. Otherwise, it will perform the same with a 3.9, 4.0, or 300Tdi while towing.

In other words, if I am ever fortunate enough to be able to afford my dream Defender, it will surely bankrupt me.

Not that I am giving up or anything. It's not that I don't like the DI for off-roading, and for everyday use, and for towing the family up to camp. I am "planning" on doing a rebuild of this type someday. But the more realistic plan is to get 2004 DII w/locking diff, and 7-seats for the family adventures, lite off-roading, etc; but, to keep and improve upon the SIIa or DI for my dedicated off-road vehicle.

BTW Brit, I am planning on getting out to Tillamook sometime in the next month. My bro is heading to Iraq, and I am in the middle of a thesis, once those things are over I will take a saturday morning to go get muddy, and it would be great to have another Rover along. I will let you know a day or two ahead of time when the day arrives.
Old October 29th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Britt Easterly
Britt Easterly
97 Defender 90

Yep got rid of the disco. To a guy up in Seattle. When you want to go drop me an email and I'll see if I cant get away.
Old October 29th, 2003, 04:59 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I'm planning on turning the fuel up a bit on the 90. Not going the whole hog with a big intercooler yet. I'll report back on the result:- power economy and smoke output.
Old October 29th, 2003, 10:47 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Does anyone know anything about the HS 2.8TGV? What about with an automatic transmission? I am going to do a diesel conversion and I am looking at my options. I want to keep the automatic, but I am not sure how it works with the diesel. I would imagine that it is quiet a bit different than the gas...the transmission set up that is. Probably need a different torque converter etc.... If anyone can offer an help I would appreciate it. I have done quiet a bit of research, but more never hurts when you are going to spend big $$. Has anyone even done a conversion to the 2.8 in a NAS D90?
93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)
97 Disco XD tdi (current)
I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:54 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I'm sure I Emailed some people an article about fitting that engine into an auto Range Rover. There was a thread on just that topic a while ago.
It's quite a large file so I won't be able to post it here, I recently found out!
If the engine will fit the RR it'll go into a defender easily and their much cheaper in the States.
Drop me an Email and I'll track down the article.
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:09 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

Jeromy,
I've been thinking of putting in a diesel since I got my truck (knowing the 3.9 was on the way out but not completely gone yet). Originally I was thinking of going with a 300Tdi and just about got one from RDS but the money wasn't in my hands when the engine came in.

In the mean time, http://www.disco-tech.ca/engines/ started offering a complete kit for $7500. Since my 110 already has a Disco ZF in it, my latest serious consideration is to put in the 2.8 since it comes with adapters to fit up with the standard ZF auto box. The kits aren't ready yet and won't be for a number of months according to disco-tech, but if you aren't in need of a new tranny and t-case, this might be a great idea.

Most of the "reviews" obviously favor the engine. I'm curious to hear some real world experinece with it off and on road.

The kit seems pretty complete and does include torque convertor, standard 300Tdi radiator, brackets for original AC I believe and other needed items. I personally don't have the time to gather it all myself so the kit price seems reasonable.

my 2cents

pwc
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:40 PM
RichardMoore
Richard Moore
2002 TD5 D-90 Hardtop

with all this interest in diesel converstions I would like to point out one of the pitfalls: -poor heater performance,- on a 300 mile round trip to North Wales yetserday in my TD5 I ran the heater flat out and the cab was barely warm, and misted badly in the wet conditions, wish I'd spec'd the seat heaters when I placed the order.btw I must have seen 50+ D-90 pick-ups in Wales , usually basic spec working trucks[sheep are big businesss in much of Wales]in Rutland Red/Coniston Green/Caledonian Blue with Ivor Williams aluminiun pick- up canopies and Ivor Williams livestock trailers.
Old October 30th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Britt Easterly
Britt Easterly
97 Defender 90

Richard,

We Americans always want what we can't have, reguardless of the outcome.
Old October 30th, 2003, 04:12 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Hahahah
true

That got me thinking to those seat heaters....

Old October 30th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
We Americans always want what we can't have, reguardless of the outcome.
Actually it's more like "Grass is always greener from the other side". An article in one of the UK mags a few months back (LRM I think) had a UK spec D90 modified to replicate the NAS D90. The roof was taken off (I think only the NAS got a ST 90, someone correct me if I'm wrong), a 3.9 V8 was dropped in, in favor of the TDi (I think it's a status symbol in the UK if you have a V8) and big fat 33" tires were installed to achieve that "american look" according to the magazine. They even special ordered the safari cage aparently from Safety Devices.

Then they have a brit guy driving it all proudly since he transformed his TDI SW D90 to a NAS V8 D90 ST. Now if that's not twisted, I don't know what is!

-Glenn
Old October 30th, 2003, 11:10 PM
exmodlad

Well i have been trying ...very much in vain to get some information from Disco-Tech........it seems they are not offering the kit.......but i may be wrong....his shop is just a few miles from my place and i can't seem to get him to respond to my email enquiries.......maybe he is just to busy........

I Personally have ordered a HS 2.8 TGV TDi and its on the boat from South America as we speak coming for my Land Rover 110.....i am going to build the kit and installing it in my own shop in Langley BC......
I also am possibly going to be stocking some of these engines......and will be offering the service and consumable parts requirements to keep your 2.8 running good.....still lots of unknowns yet but the answers will all come in time.......

My 110 is originally a Diesel engined truck so the conversion will not be as technical as the NAS vehicles......although i am upgrading the transmission to the R380 the rest should be fairly straight forward......at least i am hoping so......

Best Regards

Gord Land
Fraser Valley Rovers
Langley BC
Canada
Old October 31st, 2003, 02:41 AM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Gord,
I gave them a call yesterday and talked with them for a bit. I was most curious about the item listed last on the kit as "jig". I think it was you who told me there are some modifications that need to be fabricated to make the engine just right for which ever truck it's going into. From what they said, except for the motor mounts, it was a straight in type of thing and that jig was for a mounting bracket for some part or another, nothing huge. I'll be very interested to learn how you do it, being just down the Coast a bit from you.

He did mention the kits will be a month or two before they are ready. They are having them made up separate from the engine as far as I can tell. He said he'd email me some of the specs and info but that hasn't showed up yet, so I'm guessing it's one of those shops that doesn't use email much (which jives with your experience). Their site does now list the parts of the kit more or less even though the tag next to the link says "Coming Soon".

It's nice to know there's someone a stones throw away that would have parts if I decide to go this route.

pwc

Old October 31st, 2003, 05:31 AM
RichardMoore
Richard Moore
2002 TD5 D-90 Hardtop

Hi Glenn - if gas wasn't 0.75/litre V8 power would be the first choice for many in the UK, there are loads of upgrades [5.0 litre etc] - the V8 is used by TVR/Morgan etc and parts are relatively cheap. Comes back to wanting what you can't have...
Old October 31st, 2003, 07:06 AM
exmodlad

Peter:

the only thing i can comment on for sure right now is.....the words "coming soon" in this type of situation is very vague...

case in point the release of the "Crosslander" with the HS 2.8 power train.....

i have very little personal knowledge of how Disco-Tech operates.....but i personally have more confidence in my own abilites.....i have vast experiance in the modification of vehicles to accept different drive trains than stock ones....i guess from my "muscle car days".....

i do have a well equipped shop all be it small.....and my personally work ethic is based on a quality product and not on seeing how many bad products i can turn out........

this effort is very much in its infantcy....but i do have high hopes.....

as i said my conversion is going to be simple compared to a NAS vehicle and for someone to say he is going to have all the "kits" and all the answers ......

simply by telling you what you want to hear is "pie in the sky"....

this is not a quick process it all, it does in fact take time and money to put the package together....

one thing i do find very curious is that someone has a price for a product even before it is fully developed.......sorry i have a little bit of a hard time swallowing that........

i am hoping and by the sound of it your doing the right thing .....that is....making lots of enquiries and asking lots of question.......sound like me ....

thats it for now

Best Regards

Gord Land
Old October 31st, 2003, 01:34 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I'd agree with the heater comment but I'm sure theres a company out there that makes uprated heater matricies.
I put some rad relief in the cooling system prior to heading off to Morocco, worked a treat no overheating problems at all but it's made the heater even more ineffective! Woolly hat time approaches!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel