Diesel Eurovans - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 1st, 2006, 01:58 AM
kevinumali
Kevin Umali

Diesel Eurovans

Hey anyone know where I could find a diesel eurovan? I've search everywhere from autotrader to craigslist, and still can't find one. Lately I've been having some sort of longing to have a eurovan, I think its the surfer in me, that thinks it'd be awesome to have one. But any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2006, 02:20 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
My wife and I sold our 2002 Eurovan about 6 months ago. We bought it because of our growing family. It was a great vehicle for road trips and easy for the kids to climb in and out of. MPG sucked, nowhere near the stated mpg. We got about 14mpg city and 17-19 hwy. if we were lucky. It burned oil at a rate of just under a quart every 1000 miles which the dealer says is normal for Volkswagens It's a good thing I check the oil regularly. It goes through rear brakes very very fast, which is odd to me because normally the fronts go out first, I had to buy some special tools to do my own brakes, but it was a ton cheaper than having the dealer do it. The driving position is very truck like and after having back surgery a few years ago it was killer on long trips which was the ultimate reason for selling it.
We ended up buying a 2006 Honda Pilot, although smaller it has a more efficient use of space. We can pack the the back load space of the Pilot with lots more than we could fit in the rear load space of the Eurovan.
The thing that drew me to the VW EV was it's utilitarian anti minivan look. It was a OK car for the time we had it but the Pilot is much more practical and kicks butt in the snow, it's a great ski car. Hope I didnt scare you off. Oh good luck on finding a diesel, I dont think you will have much luck, I dont ever recall VW importing a diesel Eurovan.
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:41 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

The diesel Eurovans are very rare in the US, it's pretty hard to find any new ones. The older ones (I'm talking early 90's late 80's here) are the ones that have the diesels in them.
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2006, 12:21 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

A better choice would be one of the new short wheelbase Sprinter vans from Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner - Westfalia and Airstream both do some real nice camper conversions of these but if you're real handy you could probably do the camper conversion yourself.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:23 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Yes, that is a great option. The engines in those vans are amazing! It's about time Mercedes brought them over here too! Great suggestion Jack.
Old August 1st, 2006, 02:04 PM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

Kinda like this..... awesome idea.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...8A77B7CAA837C5
Old August 1st, 2006, 04:54 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Yeah, they even make kits that replace the Dodge badges with Mercedes badges and a big star up front
Old August 1st, 2006, 06:57 PM
kevinumali
Kevin Umali

Those look great, I'm really not looking for a camper, but rather a more utillitarian people hauler, and something that I can take about carrying my surf board and what not, I guess I'd look into that more. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit- Dude........... I just took a look at those sprinters, man those are sweet........ I think I'm in love with it, and not only that, it comes with a 2.7 CDI Diesel, I think its the same from the Liberty, thats awesome, I wish I could get it to come with the Mercedes symbol instead. Thats an awesome van, I think I'm gonna look more into that, but its freakin $30,000 , oh well.........
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Yeah, you can get them in van form with windows and all of the regular accessories that would come on a car. You can also buy a kit that will swap all of the Dodge badges for Mercedes badges, just do some google searches on it.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinumali
it comes with a 2.7 CDI Diesel, I think its the same from the Liberty,
It is not the same engine as the former Jeep Liberty diesel - the Jeep had a 2.8 4 cylinder made by VM of Italy - the sprinter has a 5 cylinder bona-fide Mercedes engine.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

I like this one.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...EBF408838E9BEA
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM
kevinumali
Kevin Umali

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
It is not the same engine as the former Jeep Liberty diesel - the Jeep had a 2.8 4 cylinder made by VM of Italy - the sprinter has a 5 cylinder bona-fide Mercedes engine.
My mistake, but atleast it has a diesel, and on this website: http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...EBF408838E9BEA it says it has 154 hps wow, thats pretty nice. I'm a believer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel