Diesel Conversion Kits and Shops - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
ChicagoDon
Don Johnson

Diesel Conversion Kits and Shops

I'm looking into dropping a Diesel into my Disco2 this summer. I know this is a D90 forum, but it seems that this is the only place where a number of people have actually done various conversions, so I hope you can be of some help. Right now the only option ive been looking into is the M&D Engineering HS 2.8l TGV Powerstroke conversion kit to work with my ZF autobox. They priced me at about $11K shipped to my door. They say that this kit includes 100% of all parts needed to put it in. According to the manager over there if I took it to my mechanic, putting in the 2.8 with their kit would be just like swapping in another 4.0. He said there would be no custom fab, and it would be a project that could be finished in a weekend. I see that a couple of you guys have bought the M&D kit, how do you like it? Was the kit like they advertise, and it includes every single part you could possibly need? How about gas mileage with your tire and gearing combo? Any feedback would be helpful as $11K is alot of money. When I finally have the money in mid summer to do this, I wont have the time so I am going to have someone install it. This also makes the M&D kit very appealing. I was also considering finding a Rover fab shop to do a 2.8L Powerstroke or 300tdi (and 5 speed) conversion. I dont want to bend over and spread for ECRs crazy prices, so what other rover shops out there could do something like this for my truck. Like I said before, any help you can give me would be great. And yes I know this is not cost effective for saving money at the pump, I just want to do it becasue i love diesels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM
javelinadave
-
-

One thing to check on before you do anything. Do you have to have your truck emissioned? If so, they may not like a non EPA certified diesel motor in a gas powered truck. I would love to put that motor in my 90 but I don't think I will be able to register it once the plates run out.
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:57 PM
ChicagoDon
Don Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
One thing to check on before you do anything. Do you have to have your truck emissioned? If so, they may not like a non EPA certified diesel motor in a gas powered truck. I would love to put that motor in my 90 but I don't think I will be able to register it once the plates run out.
Damn, and Im moving to tempe in september too. I can still register it through my dad in illinois, but even here ive gotta check up on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:59 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You should both check you local laws. In MA, NY and CA, the strictest of states on emissions, converting to diesel is fine. Small passenger vehicles under 10K pounds are not smogged or emissioned.

And you should learn to search Don. Begin contacting the UK company that provides proven kits for conversions.
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM
ChicagoDon
Don Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand

And you should learn to search Don. Begin contacting the UK company that provides proven kits for conversions.
I have already contacted M&D, I was just looking for some feedback from actual customers on here.
Old February 4th, 2006, 02:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Don,
I'll stop by a MVD office next week and ask an inspector. First hand info is better than a rumor. If it is o.k. in Kalifornia, it may be good here.
Old February 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

contact Pendy on this board, he has experience with this conversion in many types of rovers including discoveries.
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Don,

Illinois emmissions are favorable to a swap. In fact you will no longer be required to to test if the diesel meets certain qualifications, as does the 2.8.

George at Hillerich's in Glenview is my Mechanic. They just bought the test book due to the overwhelming amount of Rover business I and several other happy customers have sent their way. Check out the Chicago Land Rover Club Bulletin Board and search Hillerich's.

If you move out west, Pendy is your man. Have heard good things about his shop thru other club members.

EwS
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:37 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Have you considered a TD5? I know everybody cringes but they are emmisions legal and have a fair amount of HP, Plus with the proper engine it will just drop in. I know everyone thinks the electronics are scary but if you get all the parts it's not a problem... I will be dropping one in my Wifes car this summer.

Give me a call if you are interested..

Keith
www.rovertracks.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Keith - I've heard the TD5's have an EPA approval number - do you quote this number when importing your engines (you have the option on the form of declaring the motor compliant versus exempt) or do you not bother? I dont suppose you know the number do you?
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey Jim

The Guy doing all the importation is supposed to be doing that research, from what I understand the TD5 is indeed EPA (EU3) complient but the question is whether or not it has been certified... This is difficult information to obtain without doing tons of research due to the highly efficient way our government hides such information..

But we're working on it..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Right on. Thanks!
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I just got off the phone with the Arizona DEQ. they told me that you need an "engine package" that is from the year of the vehicle or newer. For my 97, it needs PVC vents, Cats, etc, etc, etc. The package needs to be EPA certified or have an exec order from a state like Kalifornia. Other than that, get it emissioned and notify MVD to change the title from gas to diesel. Hope that helps. He did say that most all of the International diesels are o.k. to use via one method or another because Ford took care of the paperwork.
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:07 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
In NJ they dont even look at anything like that. It went through inspection, and they trew the sticker on. And they did test the exaust at idle with a prob.
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Did you tell them it was a conversion to diesel? That seems odd to me. I'd reserch their regs online. Never take waht one person tells you at the DMV.
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Chris V

Any one have the HP, Torque and MPG of the various levels of tune for the 300TDI compared to the TD5 ? The cost of mods to each to get optimal Hp and Torque and MPG?
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Td5 is a different animal. You are talking about rechipping the ECU, then doing traditional stuff like intercooler and rad.

Here's some info I have on stock 200, 300 and 2.8. Biased, I know.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 39~NEW ENGINES WITH KITS.doc (140.0 KB, 767 views)
Old February 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
raul silva
raul silva

Hi, first allow me to introduce my self, I am Raul Silva from Portugal and I am new to forum.
First about the conversion, I would go for a td5 engine because is a straight forward changing
and the ECU comunicates straight with the ZF4hp22 auto box ecu. The td5 reves higher having
max torque a little bit hicher which is good for the auto box. The td5 with a replacement intercooler
and new fuelling software goes easy to 200 hp, being less noisy and cleaner than the 2.8.
regards.
raul
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:41 PM
kullberg
Keven

Registry
Hi Guys,

I'm new here to the forum, but have owned Land Rovers for over 33 years. I'm in the long process of installing a 4 bt Cummins in my 1966 109, The two motors are very close in dimensions; I have it in the hole and it starts and for now it's sitting waiting in line.

I'm currently working on my 1961 88 I just built, powder coated, and installed a two inch shackle lift and new 16x8 Pro Comp steel wheels with 285/75R16 BFG ATs.

I'm looking for lockers for my 1966 109 rears. any suggestions?

Thanks Keven
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Welcome! That is an old thread, but glad you found us.

As for lockers, you can't go wrong with ARB's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
conversion, diesel, kit