Diesel conversion daydreaming on a rainy afternoon... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 6th, 2014, 03:27 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Diesel conversion daydreaming on a rainy afternoon...

What is going to be the best, easiest, most original way to convert this to diesel? A 200tdi, a 2.5l or 2.7l turbo? ...humm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57-5.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	92556   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57-3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	92557  

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57-4.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	92558  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2014, 08:59 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
What is going to be the best, easiest, most original way to convert this to diesel? A 200tdi, a 2.5l or 2.7l turbo? ...humm?
Why do you want to change?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 6th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

I'm going to have a 2.5 with an LT77 up for sale shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Lets start fixing that scary wiring system.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 6th, 2014, 10:54 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Why do you want to change?
Well first because I wanted a diesel..never had one before. I fell for this truck because it looks pretty solid and original and it is a rhd. Just ripe for restoration. Spent the afternoon reading up (in part on TeriAnn's page) about what kind of power I'm going to get out of this engine. I am unsure that this is going to work for me with what I want to do with it. Would like to use it as a daily driver on occasion, play with it on trails and take it for long distances a couple of times a year. I like the simplicity of the trucks' build and would like to keep it that way. Don't want to do any major changes to the suspension, drive train and such... so humm? I was just thinking about possibilities and the fine line between original and modified.

------ Follow up post added April 6th, 2014 09:56 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Lets start fixing that scary wiring system.
No joke right! Lol That is just a hot mess ..

------ Follow up post added April 6th, 2014 10:02 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldewin View Post
I'm going to have a 2.5 with an LT77 up for sale shortly.
I'll keep that in mind and thank you.. the PO was not mechanically inclined and am unsure of the regular maintenance he was able to do on it. He is a grad student with little ones; I feel his pain, so until I get it in my driveway...? All I got is pictures.
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:39 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Niro guzzling....wheel standing...fire breathing....2.5 NAD!!!!!!!
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:50 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you wish to avoid the not inconsequential turbo issues go with the 2.5
If it were me, I'd just get it all cleaned up, repair what needs repair, and either use it as is or sell it on and get what you really want.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:51 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranewman View Post
Lol.. that's awesome thanks!
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:19 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
If it were me, I'd just get it all cleaned up, repair what needs repair, and either use it as is or sell it on and get what you really want.
That's sound advice. I was thinking the same thing but just wanted to get some input. Thank you. I was just thinking I could change it to a diesel and hang onto the original motor, and if I did ever decide to sell it... it could go with. I just couldn't pass this one up.
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If you are not going to do a 300 Tdi look for a international 2.8. You can find all of the bits to connect it to the truck with out having to do too must custom stuff. You could also do the MD diesel. Robert Davis has the kit for the install.
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Rick, you know you are the only 2.5na fanboy I know, right?
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:35 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Yes. I don't want to fix what isn't broke. I'm wet behind the ears with rovers and I'm good with that. I'll learn. I know it won't be my last one. I'd like to see more of them up close and personal.. like the ex-mods and 110s
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:52 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
If you are not going to do a 300 Tdi look for a international 2.8. You can find all of the bits to connect it to the truck with out having to do too must custom stuff. You could also do the MD diesel. Robert Davis has the kit for the install.
I'm going to get it up and running and figure it out then.. thank you for the information.
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:35 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I've done a lot of research into dumping a 300 TDI into my 109.

The stock series transmission can't handle it. Well it can, just not for long. To be truly happy with the setup, a shorty LT77/R380 and LT230 should be used. You'll be replacing the driveshafts at that point and a lot of modifications to make it work. Linkage is a whole other ball of wax and prepare to bust out the grinder to make the floor and tunnel panels work. This is all assuming you don't have a bunch of other crap preventing you from getting this done (it is a series truck so the answer to that is yes, yes it'll throw other curve balls at you to make matters worse).

Go with a 1.2 LT230 to get the gearing close to stock series gearing with overdrive. Also you get to keep the 4.7 diffs and the stupid low LT230 gears. This is quite nice off road.

Its a stupid amount of money especially if you have a shop do it. It seems like TDI engine prices have jumped recently, not helping the situation. Also I'm gun shy on used transmissions (been getting bitten by crappy "good used" replacements lately) so that is another $2k down the drain for a proper R380.

Overall, I've dumped a crap ton of money into my 109 engine and trans over the last few years. I regret not dumping a little bit more and going this route. I would've been a lot happier with a new trans, baller low range, and an anemic engine.

So yeah, how big is your wallet? That'll determine the feasibility of all of this. All of that said, a series truck with a defender 300TDI powertrain in it is
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:28 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
I've done a lot of research into dumping a 300 TDI into my 109.

The stock series transmission can't handle it. Well it can, just not for long. To be truly happy with the setup, a shorty LT77/R380 and LT230 should be used. You'll be replacing the driveshafts at that point and a lot of modifications to make it work. Linkage is a whole other ball of wax and prepare to bust out the grinder to make the floor and tunnel panels work. This is all assuming you don't have a bunch of other crap preventing you from getting this done (it is a series truck so the answer to that is yes, yes it'll throw other curve balls at you to make matters worse).

Go with a 1.2 LT230 to get the gearing close to stock series gearing with overdrive. Also you get to keep the 4.7 diffs and the stupid low LT230 gears. This is quite nice off road.

Its a stupid amount of money especially if you have a shop do it. It seems like TDI engine prices have jumped recently, not helping the situation. Also I'm gun shy on used transmissions (been getting bitten by crappy "good used" replacements lately) so that is another $2k down the drain for a proper R380.

Overall, I've dumped a crap ton of money into my 109 engine and trans over the last few years. I regret not dumping a little bit more and going this route. I would've been a lot happier with a new trans, baller low range, and an anemic engine.

So yeah, how big is your wallet? That'll determine the feasibility of all of this. All of that said, a series truck with a defender 300TDI powertrain in it is
Well let's see... I dropped the bomb about the purchase of my newest beauty to one of my dearest mechanic friends and well.. I held the phone away from my ear (plus I was laughing) so I just heard bits.

Things like "WHY!?..haven't you?..black death..wiring issues..DO YOU KNOW!?..european refrigeration co. and that's why they drink warm beer!"...*grunt*.."Ok lets make a plan for this beast " lol I love my friends.

Yeah I understand there is only so much I can do to it. It is a stock truck that is specific and can be cantankerous. I know how much money I'm going to spend to get it to where I want it to be...imo the main thing is to try and do it right the first time. I don't like fixing things twice... unless "Ooops I broke it " That's why I appreciate all of the advice I've been getting from you guys here. This is going to be a group effort...

**Funny story.. I like to do endurance kayak racing (solo), but there was a 100k that I got a really good friend of mine who had never raced before do it with me tandem. He said to me afterwards that he thought it was going to be a 100 meter .. anyway about 40 miles in I smile at him and say "ISN'T THIS FUN!?!".. he looks at me, paddling fiercely, face all twisted and says, "FUN!?! THIS IS YOUR IDEA OF FUN!?!"

Yep this is going to be fun!
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:37 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Yup. Remember that when I go tooling by you up hill when you get that Tdi.......
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:27 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Yup. Remember that when I go tooling by you up hill when you get that Tdi.......
Lol ...I would like pics and video of this please and thank you..
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:24 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
What are your thoughts about a 4bt cummins? I'm not planning on selling it, matter of fact I'd like for my son to learn how to drive it... that's a few years away. It will be in my driveway in a few days and I am so excited.
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:16 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Like I said, live with it as it is for a while. Spend the time collecting the parts. A big project like that is easier if you have it all at hand. Still there's a lot of fab work, clean up, prep, refurbishing, painting etc. between tear down and first drive.
My project took a few unexpected turns. Yours will too.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:26 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Like I said, live with it as it is for a while. Spend the time collecting the parts. A big project like that is easier if you have it all at hand. Still there's a lot of fab work, clean up, prep, refurbishing, painting etc. between tear down and first drive.
My project took a few unexpected turns. Yours will too.
Oh believe me. I am not in any way thinking this is going to be a walk in the park.. skipping through daisies. I have been using the 'search' function on this forum a lot.. and reading about everything mentioning series vehicles and the diesel conversion topic. What I didn't find was a 'must do first and/or replace' parts list. With it being a series.. I understand that some parts may be harder to come by so hopefully ya'll have some extra series stuff laying around you wouldn't mind parting with. Later on I know I'll be looking for things like a hoop kit and canvas top. Was also wondering about internal vs. external roll cages... or know if there is a permanent way to seal any leaking or seepage from rivets or seams in the body or hard top.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
conversion, diesel