Diesel Cars- which ones will be here within the year? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Diesel Cars- which ones will be here within the year?

Long story short: I will need a commuting car by late summer. Would really like to go diesel here as the commute is going to be probably 40 miles each way.

I know 2008 Jettas and Passats TDIs will supposedly be here soon, but I would also like to know if there will be any other options for sportier, more upmarket diesels, with AWD.
There is a lot of speculation about numerous diesel cars (not interested in SUVs) coming here, but what is the likelihood of that?

Which cars will for sure be here soon in diesel form? Anybody know?

I would love to have a diesel Audi A4. Read an article about it. If I wait until the summer or fall, will there be several makes and models to choose from, or just VWs?

Thanks!

PS the Mercedes car is out of my $ range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
I think you are going to have to wait longer then that to see a number of options for diesel cars, especially ones with AWD. Subaru is launching a Legacy Diesel in Europe this year, but USA sources say that they will not release it int he US until it can meet 50 state certification, and currently meeting California regs would require too much cost to pass on to the consumer in Subaru's opinion (About $1800 per car on top of the diesel option costs, for the particulate filter necessary to meet California regs)...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
Long story short: I will need a commuting car by late summer. Would really like to go diesel here as the commute is going to be probably 40 miles each way.

I know 2008 Jettas and Passats TDIs will supposedly be here soon, but I would also like to know if there will be any other options for sportier, more upmarket diesels, with AWD.
There is a lot of speculation about numerous diesel cars (not interested in SUVs) coming here, but what is the likelihood of that?

Which cars will for sure be here soon in diesel form? Anybody know?

I would love to have a diesel Audi A4. Read an article about it. If I wait until the summer or fall, will there be several makes and models to choose from, or just VWs?

Thanks!

PS the Mercedes car is out of my $ range.
i'd love to see some of audi's diesels make it here, or even the base model merc's, I drove a rental merc diesel when i was in europe, cloth seats no frills great mileage though, had enough power to make it up the alps too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Wasn't the BMW X5 coming in diesel soon?

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Where's a D4D Toyota pickup when you need one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 6th, 2008, 11:42 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Wasn't the BMW X5 coming in diesel soon?
yes, but from what i heard it'll be a performance type package like the vw taureg, not as fuel efficient as i'd like to see... still would probably make a great car for the wife if you can get a good deal on it...

Stealerships will probably be hungry due to lack of sales with the current crop of gas eaters so they will be charging a good chunck extra!
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Honda accord has been announced in diesel for 09.
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

We have a Passat (V6 - Gas). We love it. When it is time for a new car - I would love a Diesel Passat. I did not hear that it was coming. Only the Jetta and maybe the Rabbit.

They have released a Passat Diesel Blue-motion in Europe. 53 MPG. Over 1,000 mile cruising range.

I think a Passat Diesel Wagon would be the ultimate family car! But it may never come.

I think there is a conspiracy out there somewhere that keeps Diesels out of the USA. Think about kicking out the 2007 Jetta and Rabbit - two fine 50 MPG cars. Did not make US Emissions for 2007? Come on! They let a 15 mpg new ford truck make emissions.

I think it has something to do with the fact that there is NO United States producer that makes or Sedan or small car in Diesels.

Makes one think............(I just wanted to start a conspiracy thread!)

Flagg
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
think about it..... the new vw tourareg can not be sold new in mass, cali and a couple other states.. but once it has 7500 miles it can be sold anywhere???
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
We have a Passat (V6 - Gas). We love it. When it is time for a new car - I would love a Diesel Passat. I did not hear that it was coming. Only the Jetta and maybe the Rabbit.

They have released a Passat Diesel Blue-motion in Europe. 53 MPG. Over 1,000 mile cruising range.

I think a Passat Diesel Wagon would be the ultimate family car! But it may never come.

I think there is a conspiracy out there somewhere that keeps Diesels out of the USA. Think about kicking out the 2007 Jetta and Rabbit - two fine 50 MPG cars. Did not make US Emissions for 2007? Come on! They let a 15 mpg new ford truck make emissions.

I think it has something to do with the fact that there is NO United States producer that makes or Sedan or small car in Diesels.

Makes one think............(I just wanted to start a conspiracy thread!)

Flagg

Wasn't that due to the quality of diesel over here? to much sulfer or what not. I mean isn't the current or near future Euro spec emissions tihgter than the US ones?

I'd love the BMW three series with their 6 cyclinder diesel. It is already compliant 50 states from Steyr already. Looks nice...
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

BMW has announced that the 335d will be available in the US as well as the X5 diesel. The 1-series diesel would be a really neat car here - lets keep our fingers crossed. They are selling Mini diesels in Canada - don't know if there are any plans to bring them south of the border.

Honda has committed to a diesel Accord for 2009 (maybe mid-year 2008 introduction?) and has hinted at a CR-V and Element diesel. They sell the CR-V diesel (46 mpg) in Europe and South Africa and the element is the same platform. I'd be all over a CR-V diesel - we have an older CR-V (we call it the transportation appliance) and it's a pretty good little car.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

seems there is a lot of speculation out there and projected dates, but it seems VW is the only manufacturer who has a) sold them here in the past and b) has immediate plans for re-entry in 2008 (excluding Mercedes which is not affordable for many people)
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Can't believe the US did not get the cdi smart car.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:08 AM
1000kva
paul girard

what I found that look possible audi, subaru, vw.

http://www.biodiesel.org/markets/pas...Sale_in_US.pdf
Diesels_for_Sale_in_US.pdf (application/pdf Object)
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm holding my breath for diesel Alfa Romeos.

Old February 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I'm holding my breath for diesel Alfa Romeos.
I too am anxiously awaiting Alfa's return. A diesel would make it even better!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

A diesel Subaru WRX STi would be in my garage hell or high water if available.

I understand all the diesel concerns US to Euro are based on US specs focusing on particulate emissions and Euro focusing on something else in the emissions' make-up (CO?)...

but damn I can think of a dozen cars available in diesel elsewhere but not here that I'd love to own.
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
This has a diesel:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...how/index.html
Attached Images

Old February 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
but damn I can think of a dozen cars available in diesel elsewhere but not here that I'd love to own.
Any compact prickup, which is hard to get as a gas rig outside of the US.
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:43 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

The only ones that are for sure in the next year are:

2009 BMW's mentioned - 3 series and X5, both with a 3.0L bluetec-controlled diesel engine
2009 VW's - Jetta, Jetta Wagon (Sportwagen), Touareg (V10 only for 2009)
2009 Mercedes Benz - GL, ML, R, E, and C classes.

Many more have been announced, but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see them until the end of 2009.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
diesel