Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:48 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Did the A$$hole add value or devalue my Truck

Quick backstory,

I've had my D90 for a little over 2.5 years, I'm the 4th owner, its been a Southern car its whole life (bought in VA, 1st owner GA, 2nd Owner FL, 3rd AL). I know the 2nd and 3rd guys babied the hell out of the truck, one was an pilot and put almost zero miles on it, and I have pics of it in a hangar, the 3rd was a LR enthusiast who had a G4, a Scotland Yard Rangie, and then the D90, which he never drove, climate controlled garage, the whole 9 yards etc. So when I bought it, there was ZERO rust anywhere, even the hinges were cleaner than my dinner plates. The original skid plate had been swapped and at that time someone had sheared off a bold in the rear cross, and the rear cross itself was the only thing that had a spec of rust at all.

When I bought it, it had 73k on the clock, all the rubber was original (and shot) and it had the standard leaks. It has been my Daily Driver since then (sharing duty w/ my bimmer motorcycle), and has been parked outside in the rain a few times, and has been driven in the rain a fair amount now, but I have a 1 car garage w/ a dehumidifier and that has been a positive.

Literally the day after I bought the truck, some d-head turned right into me trying to take a parking spot, with me in the car. His side view clipped the the L-front wing and put about a golfball sized dent in it, and some paint-transfer, and some transfer on the ARB bumper (which ripped off the side of his car lol). So I got that pounded out and the wing re-sprayed.

After buying the truck, I found out that the original engine had been fried (driven w/ a busted radiator), and that the 2nd owner had put in a 4.0 short block that he'd gotten from RDS, and judging by the miles on carfax, my engine has under 20k on it.

SOOO... Its not as original as I thought, but the truck is completely unmolested as far as gear and interior (which was in better shape than my living room when I bought it).

In October, I got rear-ended by some chucklehead (Drunk driver) leaving the LSU/Auburn game.
He mostly collided with the rear tire (fortunate for me I didn't have a mantec carrier) bending the rear SW door a bit, and bent the NAS rear bumper, pushing it into (and denting) the rear cross member on one side.
Took it to the LR dealer's body shop, they sourced a NAS bumper (I inspected/approved a gently used one that they stripped/re-coated), ordered a new rear SW door from LR UK, and they replaced the rear crossmember with the NAS90 remanufactured one (I am pretty sure this is the only one avail).

Thank you to those who made it this far... My question, did this hurt the value of my D90 or improve it (b/c I now have a new rear-cross and new door (original door was in great shape). I am planning on selling the door at least, and seeing what a machine shop can do with the bumper/cross b/c they might be worth something (more than scrap), but the body shop agreed I could keep it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:56 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If the accident was reported against your VIN and shows on the Carfax, sadly, yes. Even if your accident actually helped install some new parts - bumper, door, crossmember, it's that Carfax history that seems to kill value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
cant help you as far as value but id be interested in the original rear bumper if you are going to sell it send me some pictures

j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
x2 - definitely didn't help it, especially if you reported each accident.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Given the fact that I had no idea how much this shit was gonna run, and all the extras involved (including my rental car for the last 6 weeks), I didn't have much of a choice but go through his insurance who had already claimed fault. The guy totaled a brand new Tahoe and I got away with what would have continued to be a perfectly drivable car. Whatever, I love the truck, I've taken extensive pictures of the damage before and after, and have taken some pictures of the repair progress, and if someone wants to knock me on a couple fender benders in the future so be it. se la vie
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Not all accidents make it onto the reports. Your truck is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There is a lot of shit trucks out there with squeaky clean titles. If your truck is as clean as you say I am sure it is still worth good money.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:24 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Its as good as I'm saying, not that I am going to sell it, and George at RDS has been all over my truck and driven it and if it gets that jackoff excited then its a clean rig. I essentially knew the answer before I asked it, I guess I was hoping that by documenting everything about the accident and repair, I'd essentially done a crossmember swap (an expensive job by any means) and I'd added to the life of my truck.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

story

Buyers tend to not like stories period, and an accident is never a good story. All of you pretty much already knew that. Did you also know that your vehicle now has what the industry calls frame damage?
Might sound crazy, but if any repairs are made to a frame, even a tiny one, it is considered frame damage. If it were to be run through a Manheim Auction it would get kicked. Just an fyi for ya'll.....no biggie if you stick with a private sale , most likely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT110 View Post
Buyers tend to not like stories period, and an accident is never a good story. All of you pretty much already knew that. Did you also know that your vehicle now has what the industry calls frame damage?
Might sound crazy, but if any repairs are made to a frame, even a tiny one, it is considered frame damage. If it were to be run through a Manheim Auction it would get kicked. Just an fyi for ya'll.....no biggie if you stick with a private sale , most likely.
What's a galv chassis seen as? Example - the green 90 that was for sale here a few weeks ago.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:10 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

A replaced chassis would need to be disclosed up front. May scare off some buyers ,but not the Defender-knowledgeable ones. Sure would not bother me any...

Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Rare and collectible vehicles are only "original" once and it is downhill from there.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:21 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

You need to park that and buy a beater.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
It depends who the buyer is. If you sell it on eBay to some guy who is going by the car fax only (which is stupid) chances are that you are going to take a hit for it's history. However if you sell it more private party to a LR enthusiast like me or people on here I think we would tend to look at the brighter side of things and think "sweet I'm getting a bunch of new gear that is correct". These trucks are only getting older and finding a clean one, which it sounds to me like yours is, is worth a premium. Find the right buyer and you should be golden.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:44 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
You should have gotten a loss of value or depreciation check from his insurance.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Sounds to me like the truck already had a history on carfax or somewhere starting with the engine swap and 1st accident. So it probably didn't hurt as much as if the truck were incident free to begin with. Defiantly didn't help though.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:07 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Roverguy is correct- had this happen when a knucklehead side swiped my 930.
The bigger problem is you have confessed George has driven the truck, so it's value is gone completely in the Rover arena...

Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:38 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

The carfax was clean when I bought the truck (engine swap wasn't on there), and if the wing dent history made it on to the new carfax I don't see that being much of a knock considering no body panels were replaced etc.
This is going to likely have a "Repaired frame" tag on it.

Anyone (Roverguy) have any experience getting diminished value checks cut? This was a 3rd party claim against his insurance company, which from what I can tell is a big positive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat