Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 8th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by genie90 View Post
I think what this community needs is a period of parts redistribution. All the vendors, hoarders, and vulture capitalists need to give us parts for free. They have parts and we don't and that's not fair!
We can call it "defendercare"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I have what I believe is convincing proof that none of those other vendors mark up their products. It's all charity work to feed our addiction.
Ha ha! I totally forgot about the "Crackhead Business Plan" model, where you only mark up your product only enough to feed your addiction plus a subsistance lifestyle.
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:10 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
We can call it "defendercare"
This would have broad bipartisan support across the entire forum. Except for vendors or hoarders. Which might be over 50% of the membership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Ha ha! I totally forgot about the "Crackhead Business Plan" model, where you only mark up your product only enough to feed your addiction plus a subsistance lifestyle.
I think you just described all of our business plans.
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Realistically, in my 15+ years of experience running multimillion dollar companies, I can tell you that for a fact deals that involve exclusive distribution of a brand often involve guaranteed minimum yearly buys and minimum maintained stock levels just to start... Then come coop advertising costs, signage, legalities to start it up etc... Having said that I have no idea what these costs are not being privy to the deal but RN wouldn't have done it if they figured they couldn't make more money at it than they are currently are.
Old March 8th, 2014, 09:20 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
I disagree.

There have been times that I have literally been stranded in the middle of nowhere without parts to fix my truck. Guess who came to my rescue? That's right, Rovers North.

Customer service can absolutely be worth $500.
That wasn't the customer service charge with RN that was the shipping quote for 2 o-rings

I've gotten all three; quality, customer service and good price from a lot of vendors other than RN. I haven't bought from RN in over a year and have no plans on that changing. I did get a free coffee mug though for a Rover sighting.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I was looking for some long m8 bolts today. And after exhausting my PRO internet skills I decided spending 30+ on three bolts at RN was worth me not wasting my time.
Granted its ridiculous pricing, but I didn't spend half a day finding an obscure bolt.

I'm usually a tight ass with a Skill for finding things on the net. But sometimes I can't be f-ucked to look for things. I wouldn't have thought m8 long and flanged wouldn't be a big deal. Jerks!
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
That wasn't the customer service charge with RN that was the shipping quote for 2 o-rings

I've gotten all three; quality, customer service and good price from a lot of vendors other than RN. I haven't bought from RN in over a year and have no plans on that changing. I did get a free coffee mug though for a Rover sighting.
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone get so upset for literally years over a $9 shipping charge, but you continue to impress me Bill.
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:15 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I did it just to annoy you Zack, but to be honest I can hold a grudge with the best of them. I'm also just as loyal to my friends, I will stand next to my friends at the gates of hell.

Also it was more than that with RN. That was just the straw that broke the camels back. Besides I figure I'm even for the shipping charges since I got the coffee mug.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I think it was two years ago I ordered a set of universal mounts for my Hi-Lift Jack...RN accidentally sent me a case of them. I called them on their mistake and sent the rest back...shoulda asked for a mug!!! or a case of mugs...lol
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I did it just to annoy you Zack, but to be honest I can hold a grudge with the best of them. I'm also just as loyal to my friends, I will stand next to my friends at the gates of hell.

Also it was more than that with RN. That was just the straw that broke the camels back. Besides I figure I'm even for the shipping charges since I got the coffee mug.
I know you do it to annoy me....

and it works.

Especially after I offered to refund the entire order with shipping...............
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:39 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I wonder how much business RN does with Source members. I would venture to say that we make up a very small percentage, sans perhaps some business accounts with restoration shops. I can imagine Zach and company could tell us all to flip off... We are probably not as influential as we think, or are we?

I also agree that RN's pricing is over the top. Yet I still order at times because they have a good web presence, are responsive to emails and calls, and stock a lot of miscellaneous stuff. The smaller guys are great and I order from them frequently, but to be honest their websites blow and they are hard to contact at times. I am too busy to call because "our website only represents 10% of our inventory.". Yes, most of them have phenomenal service as well, IF you can reach them. So like its been said, pick your poison.

That said, if RN can make that business model work, that is American through and through. The consumers have spoken. I am ok with that.

And from what I hear, it was Exmoor who went looking for a new US distributor.
Old March 9th, 2014, 01:10 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Forums are a very small part of our business, but that does not mean they're any less important. We would never tell anyone that they're not important and we certainly wouldn't forget any segment.

That being said......

The theme of this thread has turned into how RN has high prices. This is an issue for us as we do not want to appear overpriced. If you have an issue with a price, please tell us. We do not want to be known for high prices, just appropriate prices and excellent service.

If you are mainly comparing us with someone that has 2 or less employees, yes, we may be above their price. But as mentioned earlier, you will get us on the phone when you need us. You will find parts diagrams on our website, you will get tech help when you're not making a purchase, and you will get the best return policy in the market should anything go wrong. There are about 20 hard working employees at RN. That may sound excessive to some, but I assure you it could not be run with any less. We are constantly striving to be the most reliable source for anything Rover. There are other great companies out there, and that's a good thing.

Again, if you feel like you've ever been wronged by us, please let me know. Customer service is paramount to us and always has been. And also, if you ever find an item that we're priced higher on, please let me know.
Old March 9th, 2014, 09:00 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Seriously, I can't believe any Land Rover owner could publicly bash Rovers North. They have been keeping Rover owners in parts since 1970, doing a great job. Sure now there are plenty of places to get parts but what about 15 or 20 years ago? I dare say if it weren't for Rovers North as well as Atlantic British and BP the Rover community wouldn't be what it is today.
Old March 9th, 2014, 09:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I buy a lot from RN. I buy from other places too. I will say RN is great because I can call Les and he will get me every part in an assembly I want. No one else other than RN does that and it makes restoration and rebuild much easier. It may be $300 for all those clips, but I rather have them.
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I remember the first time I called RN. I was super confused at first because I thought Les was an automated message greeting lol. I like talking to him, good guy. Really impressed with the availability of rare parts. They always have the obscure.
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:19 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
i miss Steve H!
for the record i love RN. no games, no joking around [unless is start it], easy, simple, they are not really salesman trying to up sell you. if i am ordering parts - i usually go out of my way to get it from them.

its just easier!

plus, when i need something i need it tomorrow [or that day] so paying a touch more to have it that quickly is worth it to me. by a long shot.

the other smaller places i have tried to use - but this day they are here, next day no one answers the phones. or they forget to call you back after they look up the part. i am not throwing stones at ANYONE else. just saying its tough to get fast, quick, easy service.
Old March 11th, 2014, 05:07 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Personally, I have no problem paying a premium if the person at the other end of the line is knowledgeable, has stock and doesn't waste my time. That said, I've never thought RN's pricing was out of line, it is mostly OEM stuff.

For my Land-Cruiser I literally have to babysit the arseholes in the parts department at the local dealer, and they still charge me full retail minus 10% (whoop deee doo). I need to dig out part numbers, they can't find anything on fiche, never call back etc. Just freaking useless. In comparison getting rover parts is an absolute breeze.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
exmoor