Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 7th, 2014, 10:20 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
That '17%' might seem like a markup to most but it is the cost of keeping products in stock and employees on the phone (also heating a building in VT).
Safari HP likely has a similar situation w/r/t keeping the operation running, and I've always had quality interactions, responsive phone calls and e-mails. They have to keep the A/C on in Florida. But when you're the top brand offering for products, you can charge more for whatever reason you prefer or choose to justify. I'd probably do that, too, but you'll get customers like me that want to pay less and accept the potential tradeoff of less service, fewer catalogs, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Zack, if RN is now the exclusive domestic vendor Exmoor Trim USA, will RN honor a documented warranty issue from last year? Most of the straps and two rivets on my Mesh-UV surrey broke within a week (thinking I have the second one sold). I have emails from the prior domestic vendor and Exmoor parent (UK) saying they acknowledge the issue, are thankful that I identified the issue and promptly notified them, are working on a redesign, and will replace my surrey with a new surrey when available. Well that was ~6 months ago ....
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Zack, if RN is now the exclusive domestic vendor Exmoor Trim USA, will RN honor a documented warranty issue from last year? Most of the straps and two rivets on my Mesh-UV surrey broke within a week (thinking I have the second one sold). I have emails from the prior domestic vendor and Exmoor parent (UK) saying they acknowledge the issue, are thankful that I identified the issue and promptly notified them, are working on a redesign, and will replace my surrey with a new surrey when available. Well that was ~6 months ago ....
Wow that was never fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
My experience with getting Exmoor to follow through on a warranty claim. Post that you have waited six months on the appropriate UK based forums and magically new parts show up on your doorstep within the week...

I would give RN a call. I'm sure they can fix it up for you.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:52 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
Safari HP likely has a similar situation w/r/t keeping the operation running, and I've always had quality interactions, responsive phone calls and e-mails. They have to keep the A/C on in Florida. But when you're the top brand offering for products, you can charge more for whatever reason you prefer or choose to justify. I'd probably do that, too, but you'll get customers like me that want to pay less and accept the potential tradeoff of less service, fewer catalogs, etc.
Apples and oranges concerning operational costs, but I appreciate your input and agree that if cost is your primary driver then you can certainly shop around for most things. Well except Exmore trim in the US
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
How many do you need? PM me your mailing address

Also Safari HP is still a dealer for Exmoor
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Apples and oranges concerning operational costs, but I appreciate your input and agree that if cost is your primary driver then you can certainly shop around for most things. Well except Exmore trim in the US
I appreciate your feedback on my experience.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:59 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I have it on good authority that Zack definitely did not whore himself out to seal the Exmoor deal.
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:13 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I don't think forming the lines here for battle does anyone in this community any good. Each vendor has their strengths and weaknesses and Im sure we all patronize accordingly. RN's business practices are obviously resonating with enough folks that they can hire staff photographers...

That said, cornering the market on a brand or product that is not proprietary to that respective company is never good for the consumer.

I paid $125 for shipping for an Exmoor item from the motherland and still saved over $175. But yes, I sacrificed service for savings on this specific product.

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2014 09:16 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Also Safari HP is still a dealer for Exmoor
But in the spirit of transparency, we know Exmoor prices went up after you all got the contract, no matter who fulfills the order in the US.
Old March 7th, 2014, 01:46 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
How many do you need? PM me your mailing address Also Safari HP is still a dealer for Exmoor
Thanks for reaching out. It is more than the straps. When the plastic hooks shear off the bungee, the resulting release of tension can break the grommets as well. No grommets at the tie-down locations and that mesh fabric is good for not.
Is the MeshTop-UV in full surrey size in stock in the states today? Guess that is my question before pursuing further.
Old March 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Nothing that we have in stock, I will ask purchasing to see if it's still available
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
That is not the case, people may actually believe you and that's how rumors are started.

They don't make it, and it's not a knock off of Badger.

Although that gets said all the time, it's simply not true.
Just out of curiosity, RN sold the Badger top with cobranding on the back. Then they stopped and started to sell their own top. What did they use for the model of their top? Most assume they just copied the Badger one? The design had to come from somewhere. It's not like they needed to start from scratch. Every top is somewhat a copy of the Besttop.
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Just out of curiosity, RN sold the Badger top with cobranding on the back. Then they stopped and started to sell their own top. What did they use for the model of their top? Most assume they just copied the Badger one? The design had to come from somewhere. It's not like they needed to start from scratch. Every top is somewhat a copy of the Besttop.
RN was approached decades ago by Land Rover about fixing the Tickford tops, Mark recommended Chris at Badger. Years later Chris came to RN to help design a new top for NAS trucks. After the design was finalized, a P.O was given to Chris for 50 tops. Of those 50, roughly 4-5 were fulfilled. The P.O. was left open but RN needed tops sooner, so another source was found to produce the design that originated at RN. It's essentially a copy of the Bestop with a few differences.

Like you said, every top is basically a copy of the Bestop.

The original "Rovers North Top by Badger Coachworks" are the ones to watch out for, as they were found to be incorrect. We modified the design for a better fit.
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:38 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Which is a simplified knokoff of a Tickford.

-Jeff
Well I think the Tickford actually had some unique design features but the general idea is the same. The idea that RN didn't copy Badger is laughable. They just put the top they sold to the side and took all new measurements to make their own. Seems absurd and not such a big deal to say it didn't happen.

The more I think about it, everything is a bad copy of the Tickford.
Tickford had the roll back front and roll up sides. Really nice features when the top fit. They were prone to shrink more than Jeff's half shirt.
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Years later Chris came to RN to help design a new top for NAS trucks.

Wasn't he already making tops? How were these different than what you could already buy from him?
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Years later Chris came to RN to help design a new top for NAS trucks.

Wasn't he already making tops? How were these different than what you could already buy from him?

It means that the top we sell, was designed by both Rovers North and Chris. It was not one or the other, neither of us have stolen anything.

I do not know if Chris was doing actual tops, or modifying originals before he came to Vermont to help with the design.

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2014 02:48 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
So there are only 4 or 5 of them ever made?

-Jeff
Roughly, yes.
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:51 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
It means that the top we sell, was designed by both Rovers North and Chris. It was not one or the other, neither of us have stolen anything.

I do not know if Chris was doing actual tops, or modifying originals before he came to Vermont to help with the design.

------ Follow up post added March 7th, 2014 02:48 PM ------

Roughly, yes.
Fair enough.
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:57 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Old March 7th, 2014, 04:01 PM
cupgt
Ian
98 Discovery

Just a thought because none of this really applies to me and my Disco but I doubt RN had anything to do with Exmoor choosing them as a distributor. Most suppliers choose distributors based on profitablily. Does RN want to distribute Exmoor...sure. If Exmore feels that RN can bring more sales then someone else then they would be stupid not to use them as a distributor. But what do I know? I'm just a dumb redneck, right Zack? lol
Old March 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupgt View Post
Just a thought because none of this really applies to me and my Disco
They make disco stuff too.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags