Did LR make a 3.5 v8 for thier 1985 d90s? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 17th, 2012, 09:09 PM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
Did LR make a 3.5 v8 for thier 1985 d90s?

If they did, how reliable? From what I understand, they are not fuel injected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Yes.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:54 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
The Land Rover Stage 1, Range Rover, MG, Triumph... Other British car too had the 3.5L. aka the Buick 215.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2012, 11:42 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by egor View Post
If they did, how reliable? From what I understand, they are not fuel injected.
correct, they are not fuel injected, they use two stromberg carbs, one per bank, as per reliability, they are a bit underpowered, the bottom end is not cross bolted (4.0 and 4.6 are cross bolted) and if the oil pump looses prime you need to pull it apart and fill with vaseline in order to prime... they leak just like any other rover and because they are multy belt drivers, rotating parts such as water pump and power steering are becoming a little hard to locate... the 3.5 is the only of the v8s to have a small cylinder bore all others have large bore cylinders shared among... the heads are shared among all rover v8s, the change is in the valve stem after 1990 to reduce accumulation of carbon.
the 3.5 had a metal head gasket which is later replaced by composite, there is a little work to be done with the job... bell housing pattern is shared among v8s, so technically you could take a later 4.6, 4.2,4.0 or 3.9 and drop it in place of a 3.5...a little work is in oder so a few things can be transfered from the 3.5 to the 4.6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
1985, 90, d90, v8