Detroit ISIS camp. - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 24th, 2015, 07:19 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Yes. Sponsored two engineers from Turkey in '07. I also have a four from Canada using the TN visa (yes, a simpler and different ball game from the H-1B). The most recent was 2 months ago. My hypothetical is spot on and the guy is still doing his thing in NOVA. He tried to buy my wife's company 2 months ago until his history was flushed out. Google is your friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Seriously? Have you actually tried to get a H-1B for an employee? It's next to impossible.

In 2007, I had the backing of my medium-sized tech company employer to hire a French citizen for my team and get him a H-1B. This guy was (and still is...) at the top of his game. Truly one of the most talented software developers in the world for his particular niche. We flew him over for an interview and the team loved him and I made him an offer on the spot (visa-contingent) and he accepted. My company hired an expensive immigration attorney in Texas to do the visa processing for the lottery. He did not win. We tried again and spent another $15K with the attorneys to try to get him an O-1 visa ("Person with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics") and were rejected again. We gave up.

This was someone who would have immigrated and made a six-figure salary, paid his taxes, and who would have filled a critical need for a fast-growing company--a job that was next to impossible to find stateside because there were only about 10 guys who were experienced with this niche in the US. I don't know if it was jobs protectionism or post-9/11 immigration fears but I will always remember this story whenever someone complains about immigration.
You went wrong when you tried to bring him in through the legal bottle neck channels. You could have flown him in on a tourist visa, let it expire, pay him in cash, and he'd be able to get a drivers license, free phone and be able to vote once he got his utility bill. He would have been working for you all this time, and in the next year or two, he'd be on an accelerated pathway to citizenship.

What were you thinking? Have you learned nothing?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:24 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Even easier.. Emigrate to Cuba.. Float over on a raft into the Florida keys and you get it all.. Wet foot dryfoot clause..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Even easier.. Emigrate to Cuba.. Float over on a raft into the Florida keys and you get it all.. Wet foot dryfoot clause..
then you gotta deal with sharks instead of coyotes.

Old February 24th, 2015, 07:28 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Politicians..???
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:30 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I like the dusty foot term better. We have one in our Miami office. His story was amazing. I think his travels through Guatemala and southern Mexico were the hard parts. The rest into Texas was smooth sailing, well walking. Cool and sharp kid.
Old February 25th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
To quote Lennon's communist manifesto "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one."

-Jeff
Good night Irene...

I think it's impossible without some major event to unit everyone...I was at a general lecture recently put on by a Theoretical Physicist and it was time for Q&A a guy stood up and asked if it were possible that there would ever be world harmony...I think half wanted to sarcastically snicker the others wanted an answer...
Old February 25th, 2015, 09:45 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Good night Irene...

I think it's impossible without some major event to unit everyone...I was at a general lecture recently put on by a Theoretical Physicist and it was time for Q&A a guy stood up and asked if it were possible that there would ever be world harmony...I think half wanted to sarcastically snicker the others wanted an answer...
Alien invasion would be the only event that might unite people ... even then I suspect that some would side with the aliens if they perceived an opportunity to enrich themselves.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 25th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Alien invasion would be the only event that might unite people ... even then I suspect that some would side with the aliens if they perceived an opportunity to enrich themselves.
Or when the robots take over or when we are genetically modified to remove emotion.
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
Or when the robots take over or when we are genetically modified to remove emotion.
I'm rooting for emotion loss...loose emotion the bottom falls out of the D90 market and they are all mine!!
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:26 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep29 View Post
The AI's will eliminate us as a pointless virus
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Yes, a common threat to man would mostly unite us, but there will be some who will side with the threat.

WINNING!!!

Old February 25th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Damn Cylon Bitch...glow in the dark spine...
Old February 25th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
you mean...damn Smoking hot beautiful Cyclon bitch with a glow in the dark spine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	114571  
Old February 25th, 2015, 11:18 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Y'all need to watch the SyFy miniseries Ascension. And not with a S.O. That Cylon hottie has been rebooted to 2.0 status
Old February 25th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
Y'all need to watch the SyFy miniseries Ascension. And not with a S.O. That Cylon hottie has been rebooted to 2.0 status
Briggs, shopping alert! You're going to need TEVO and more Lavander lotion!

Old February 25th, 2015, 11:31 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

I fully admit I recorded it and kept it. I'll take a screen shot later. Yeah it's worth it. The story is ok as well
Old February 25th, 2015, 05:28 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I like the dusty foot term better. We have one in our Miami office. His story was amazing. I think his travels through Guatemala and southern Mexico were the hard parts. The rest into Texas was smooth sailing, well walking. Cool and sharp kid.
When you talk to immigrants who had to do it 'the hard way', the stories are pretty amazing. My family were immigrants from Mexico and one of my favorite stories is that of my grandfather. His parents came over as laborers and the good was that he was born an American citizen the bad was that he and his younger brother were orphaned. They lived on the streets and in an abandoned car at one point. They survived by working in the lettuce fields. He had problems with his feet because he was so poor growing up he owned no shoes and when he did they were hand me downs that were usually too tight. When he joined the military they put him behind a desk instead. Here is a little excerpt that my aunt wrote for him in remembrance:

Mr. Villarreal was born and raised in Brownsville. He joined the Army Air Corps six days after the attack on Pearl Harbor and served as a Sergeant in the China-Burma-India Theater. His GI benefits enabled him to attend law school at St. Mary’s and the South Texas College of Law and he became a licensed attorney in 1951. During his 50 years as an attorney, Raul was a general practitioner and handled criminal as well as civil matters. He was one of the first Hispanic attorneys to argue before the United States Supreme Court, successfully getting a murder conviction and death sentence overturned in the precedent setting case of Alvaro Alcorta vs. State of Texas. During his career, Mr. Villarreal served as legal counsel for the American GI Forum, a Hispanic civil rights group and also helped to establish the predecessor organization to the Mexican American Bar Association. Mr. Villarreal will be remembered for his kindness, compassion, wisdom, wit, tenacity and most of all, his intellect.

My grandpa was one of those lawyers that would work for free or nearly free. He would take payment from those who couldn't afford him in trade. Bags of fruit, baked goods and lawn care usually. His legacy of compassion and civic duty lives on in our immediate and extended family and I'm very proud of that. Many of my family members have jobs that help others in some way.

Several years ago I met a gentleman and hired him to work on my farm. He barely spoke English. He worked harder than three men combined and he did everything well. You could not put a machine or tool in front of him that he was not an expert in. He could fix and run anything! He obviously had a very hard life and when I asked his age he said he was 72. He lived with me and my family for two years and during that time I provided him with everything including health care. He had very few teeth and as a present I paid for him to have oral surgery and dentures made. I have never seen a man cry in that way before. He was overjoyed. He told me when he came over, he almost died along the way. He was so weak he could not move for several weeks and the skin on the bottoms of his feet completely fell off and had to be regrown. Good people who want to contribute should not have to nearly die trying to come here. We are a nation of immigrants.

And when I see a genuinely indigent or disabled person, I find a program and help them through whatever process is required for public assistance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat