Detroit ISIS camp. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:48 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Raub,

Respectfully, I can't tell if you were being serious and emotional about the subject or if you were being sarchastic. The answer is right there in your post: the 9/11 hijackers were here on tourist and student visas, not H-1Bs. As you know, H-1Bs are for employees with special technical skills and require sponsorship by a US employer. They're not cheap or easy for the employer to get--legal and processing fees are typically in the five-figure range. It's usually a large tech company like Google that has the resources to successfully pursue H-1Bs for their foreign hires.

Realistically, I just can't see ISIS operatives using H-1B. Tourist and student visas using EU passports--that's a possibility. A US-born citizen (a la Adam Gadahn) seems more likely to me.

This article, however, was about H-1Bs for Detroit. A great idea except that Detroit has no viable jobs or employers to recruit and fill H-1B slots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:09 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

On the contrary, I commend the American bill of rights, and I think when it was formed and put into effect it was one of the greatest instruments ever initiated , however, having said that I think it is not a crutch where you can settle back on your laurels and think that it means every thing is honky dorey.. Your bill of rights is always under attack and it is attacked by free men... And my comments about the combination of owning guns and being free are not strictly referencing USA , the USA is Not the only country where people own guns...
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Somewhat sarcastic and argumentative. I do, however, have experience with the H-2A program in the citrus business and it was largely a failure because as soon as the workers got off the bus they hauled ass, not to be seen again.
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:29 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I don't agree with you here Raub. The proliferation of guns and their availability to all is a contributing factor....heck you know this better than anyone. I actually know not one single person in Aust that has been held at gunpoint, carjacked, or a B&E with a firearm. Now I know their have been gun issues in Australia, yes, nowhere in the world is actually safe from a gun incident. But America is THE only place in the entire world that allows or encourages the carrying of firearms as a right. Other countries (Switzerland) force you to own a gun, we all know where they stand In a conflict...the last time you heard a Swiss shooting or armed holdup???

I have lived in 9 countries around the world, not incl. Australia and now call this great place home, and as my mates know, I carry...not because it makes me more a man, heck I would be happy not too, but because the morons that want to do harm to me or mine carry too.
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:05 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I don't agree with you here Raub. The proliferation of guns and their availability to all is a contributing factor....heck you know this better than anyone. I actually know not one single person in Aust that has been held at gunpoint, carjacked, or a B&E with a firearm. Now I know their have been gun issues in Australia, yes, nowhere in the world is actually safe from a gun incident. But America is THE only place in the entire world that allows or encourages the carrying of firearms as a right. Other countries (Switzerland) force you to own a gun, we all know where they stand In a conflict...the last time you heard a Swiss shooting or armed holdup??? I have lived in 9 countries around the world, not incl. Australia and now call this great place home, and as my mates know, I carry...not because it makes me more a man, heck I would be happy not too, but because the morons that want to do harm to me or mine carry too.
Hypocritical as hell. Ive never met you Craig, but who's to say you should carry and not the "morons" you reference? This reminds me of folks who carry on about idiot drivers but when behind the wheel, are idiots themselves. Im sure you're a responsible gun owner, but for you to say the "proliferation of guns" is an issue, yet you carry, is ridiculous.

And why did this thread turn into a gun debate? I thought it had something to do with Michigan failing at pretty much everything, including education, and trying to "fix" it through immigration because out own citizens refuse to learn or work for that matter.
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Admiral Yamamoto, the Japanese Imperial planner behind Pearl Harbor, was a Harvard Grad. We have a long history of student Visa's F'ng us.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Hypocritical as hell. Ive never met you Craig, but who's to say you should carry and not the "morons" you reference? This reminds me of folks who carry on about idiot drivers but when behind the wheel, are idiots themselves. Im sure you're a responsible gun owner, but for you to say the "proliferation of guns" is an issue, yet you carry, is ridiculous.

And why did this thread turn into a gun debate? I thought it had something to do with Michigan failing at pretty much everything, including education, and trying to "fix" it through immigration because out own citizens refuse to learn or work for that matter.
I'll jump in at Craigs defense here, He is clearly referring to present or future gun-toting criminals as morons, not just anybody that chooses to carry. Though sadly, not all criminals are actually morons. Though I do agree with the sentiment. And the problem with Michigan isn't that its own citizens refuse to learn or work. It is that they all left.

<Drops mic>

------ Follow up post added February 24th, 2015 10:20 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Admiral Yamamoto, the Japanese Imperial planner behind Pearl Harbor, was a Harvard Grad. We have a long history of student Visa's F'ng us.
Yay, xenophobia! Let's close the borders now!
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post

Yay, xenophobia! Let's close the borders now!
No, not xenophobia! There are more pro's than cons of foreign students. I'm just saying that it happens. You can't always predict someone's motivations, even with perfect information which doesn't exist.

Von Braun, head of the apollo program and father of our space program, was a damn Nazi behind shooting rockets at London! And George Washington learned to be a military commander in England right? He F'd them!

Old February 24th, 2015, 11:05 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I'll jump in at Craigs defense here, He is clearly referring to present or future gun-toting criminals as morons, not just anybody that chooses to carry. Though sadly, not all criminals are actually morons. Though I do agree with the sentiment. And the problem with Michigan isn't that its own citizens refuse to learn or work. It is that they all left. <Drops mic> ------ Follow up post added February 24th, 2015 10:20 AM ------ Yay, xenophobia! Let's close the borders now!
Nope, not buying it. Who or what qualifies you or me to be the judge of who carries and who doesn't? Criminals will always have access to guns no matter what.

Last I checked Michigan still has millions of people. So you just classified the remaining people in Michigan as mouthbreathers. I would think they would take offense to that.
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:07 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The major terror networks have moved away from high risk / low success tactics like sending people to foreign lands to attack them ... the future of these conflicts are with radicalized natural born citizens turning against their country.

ISIS don't need to send anyone here on a H1-B program ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:12 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
And speaking of Australia. Thank god there's now going to be a "housewives of Melbourne" starting soon. You watch. Guns will be in every household by years end.
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:40 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Honest question...under this H1-B, is there a mechanism that prevents workers from switching employers after coming stateside? If Michigan is so terrible, what would prevent workers from being poached by out of state employers?
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Nope, not buying it.
Buying what? I'm not selling anything?

Quote:
Who or what qualifies you or me to be the judge of who carries and who doesn't?
Nobody said anything about that. Craig said he carried a gun becuase morons intending to do harm to him and others also carry gund. He basically just said "people that want to hurt other people are morons."

Quote:
you just classified the remaining people in Michigan as mouthbreathers.
No, I didn't. You did that.
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:48 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Honest question...under this H1-B, is there a mechanism that prevents workers from switching employers after coming stateside? If Michigan is so terrible, what would prevent workers from being poached by out of state employers?
H1-B ties employees to sponsoring employer. It's very restrictive, has limited numbers and has a very arduous and expensive route to a Green Card.
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Honest question...under this H1-B, is there a mechanism that prevents workers from switching employers after coming stateside?

Let me google that for you
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:43 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
H1-B ties employees to sponsoring employer. It's very restrictive, has limited numbers and has a very arduous and expensive route to a Green Card.
As with most Gov't programs, H1-B visas can be abused. Hypothetical example here in NOVA. LLC is created. A tech staffing shop opens under the LLC. The LLC also starts acquiring distressed ethnic restaurants in 2nd and 3rd tier shopping centers in DC area with little down and seller financing. Firm managing the shopping center approves reassignment of the lease (but seller remains on the hook). Tech staffing has some legitimate tech contracts to fill. Sponsors H1-B visa applications. Some tech applicants with real quals move into tech jobs. Most 'tech' applicants with forged quals operate the restaurants. Restaurant portfolio builds. After a few years of charades, Gov't cracks down. LLC bankrupts restaurants. List of creditors with unsecured claims is 20 deep. Employees scatter but remain here regardless of visa status. Owners of LLC parts ways. Gov't might slap a wrist or two a few years later. New LLC with same cast of characters resurfaces in short time. Repeat. It can be speculated that this is a form of human trafficking.
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:54 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
With regard to mouthbreathing: I cant believe the insensitivity toward those who are handicapped with allergies or afflicted with a cold. Just because they aren't a formal protected class doesn't make it right. So then whats next, picking on gingers?

-Jeff
Better bloody well not..!!!!
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:58 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
As with most Gov't programs, H1-B visas can be abused. Hypothetical example here in NOVA. LLC is created. A tech staffing shop opens under the LLC. The LLC also starts acquiring distressed ethnic restaurants in 2nd and 3rd tier shopping centers in DC area with little down and seller financing. Firm managing the shopping center approves reassignment of the lease (but seller remains on the hook). Tech staffing has some legitimate tech contracts to fill. Sponsors H1-B visa applications. Some tech applicants with real quals move into tech jobs. Most 'tech' applicants with forged quals operate the restaurants. Restaurant portfolio builds. After a few years of charades, Gov't cracks down. LLC bankrupts restaurants. List of creditors with unsecured claims is 20 deep. Employees scatter but remain here regardless of visa status. Owners of LLC parts ways. Gov't might slap a wrist or two a few years later. New LLC with same cast of characters resurfaces in short time. Repeat. It can be speculated that this is a form of human trafficking.
Agreed that programs can be abused ... but don't throw the baby out with the bath water ... the H1-B program brings masses of talent into the US that fills skills gaps and directly contributes to the growing economy.

The root cause of your hypothetical example is criminal behavior by the LLC creators facilitating unqualified people onto a program. They should be held accountable for their actions and the cost of remediation, which includes finding and deporting the people that illegally entered the country.

Every person I've met on a H1-B is acutely aware that it can be taken away at any time either by immigration or loss of employment. They spend years ( 10-15 is not uncommon ) navigating the system with the constant potential of deportation to secure residency and citizenship.
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
With regard to mouthbreathing: I cant believe the insensitivity toward those who are handicapped with allergies or afflicted with a cold. Just because they aren't a formal protected class doesn't make it right. So then whats next, picking on gingers?

-Jeff
10 years from now the entire US population will be members of the NAACP except for 7 healthy genetically pure US born white guys. And they will try to get minority status and be denied organizational recognition.

And the beagle population will have trippled and end up as an endangered species anyways.

Old February 24th, 2015, 01:04 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
The Australia people have long been disarmed and neutered. No place for free men (unless of course you hate guns and believe the world is a safer place where only governments, criminals and terrorists should be the only ones to have the ability to arm themselves.)

Haha yup.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat