Determining Actual Mileage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 20th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Daniel1
Daniel
1984 D110

Determining Actual Mileage

Is there a way to determine actual mileage on a NAS Defender? There are so many trucks out there with a bad ODO or a replacement. Some with papers and some without. Could the mileage be read from the computer or anywhere else?

I did find this link from ECR which helps determine if the ODO has been changed but nothing about how to determine actual mileage. http://eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2014, 05:42 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Nothing records the mileage apart from the odometer.

The most reliable way to be sure is ask lots of questions, cross reference service records with carfax and previous owners.

I would take any mileage on a defender not supported by documentation as highly suspect given the age of the vehicles.

Are you in the market as a buyer or seller?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 20th, 2014, 06:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

No way to tell other than the odometer. 93-95 speedos have a bad habit of stopping at 100k. 97s become unreadable. Both often are replaced, although you can usually tell a replacement from an original.
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Daniel1
Daniel
1984 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Nothing records the mileage apart from the odometer.

The most reliable way to be sure is ask lots of questions, cross reference service records with carfax and previous owners.

I would take any mileage on a defender not supported by documentation as highly suspect given the age of the vehicles.

Are you in the market as a buyer or seller?

Neither in the market as a buyer or seller. I dropped of some wheels for PC today and saw a nice NSX with almost no miles on it so I asked the owner how did he find one with such low miles. After 20 minutes he finally tells me he had a shop install a switch on this odo where he could turn this on or off when he wanted to. Shady.... This made me think of all the Defenders with odo issues and I was curious if there was a way to tell what the true mileage of a truck is. If it was tracked in the ECU or somewhere else to tell the real story of the truck. Gunna be more cautious now...
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel1 View Post
Neither in the market as a buyer or seller. I dropped of some wheels for PC today and saw a nice NSX with almost no miles on it so I asked the owner how did he find one with such low miles. After 20 minutes he finally tells me he had a shop install a switch on this odo where he could turn this on or off when he wanted to. Shady.... This made me think of all the Defenders with odo issues and I was curious if there was a way to tell what the true mileage of a truck is. If it was tracked in the ECU or somewhere else to tell the real story of the truck. Gunna be more cautious now...
That is shady, but some people will do just about anything for a few extra bucks these days. Speaking of shady - how can I determine the actual owner of a vehicle these days? I guess if someone here tells me they own something I should just believe them right?
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:02 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Josh I own my truck. Number 3038 or 483 or some number but I got it ok?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old November 21st, 2014, 11:30 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Check the VSS (vehicle speed sensor. It's a little module that attaches the speedo cable from the transfer box. It controls the speedometer and the odometer. Make sure it is original and functioning. If it's been replaced or tampered with, there may be a mileage discrepancy. Well, at least on a '95. I don't know if the non-analog '97 have the same problem. Mine went out and I didn't get around to fixing it for about 30k! If one can live without knowing exactly how fast you're going, you can keep you odometer stopped. I'm not a shady mofo, and I'm not ever selling my truck, so there is no reason for me not to openly disclose this info. In doing it here, I can never hide it now! ;-)
Old November 21st, 2014, 12:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Check the VSS (vehicle speed sensor. It's a little module that attaches the speedo cable from the transfer box. It controls the speedometer and the odometer. Make sure it is original and functioning. If it's been replaced or tampered with, there may be a mileage discrepancy. Well, at least on a '95. I don't know if the non-analog '97 have the same problem. Mine went out and I didn't get around to fixing it for about 30k! If one can live without knowing exactly how fast you're going, you can keep you odometer stopped. I'm not a shady mofo, and I'm not ever selling my truck, so there is no reason for me not to openly disclose this info. In doing it here, I can never hide it now! ;-)
I would think a large portion of VSS have been replaced, but driving around without a speedo is not ideal so I would think most got replaced promptly.
Old November 21st, 2014, 12:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
carfax

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 21st, 2014, 12:35 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel1 View Post
Is there a way to determine actual mileage on a NAS Defender? There are so many trucks out there with a bad ODO or a replacement. Some with papers and some without. Could the mileage be read from the computer or anywhere else? I did find this link from ECR which helps determine if the ODO has been changed but nothing about how to determine actual mileage. http://eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html
When I was looking I never ran into a ODO or replacement speedo trucks. If your finding below market vehicles this is probably why the truck is trading cheap.
Old November 21st, 2014, 12:49 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
That is shady, but some people will do just about anything for a few extra bucks these days. Speaking of shady - how can I determine the actual owner of a vehicle these days? I guess if someone here tells me they own something I should just believe them right?
Good question Josh!
Old November 21st, 2014, 01:05 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
carfax
I was surprised it took that long for someone to suggest it.

Carfax is the most likely resource since it polls service history ect where the mileage is almost always noted. as far as telling if a vehicle has seen 30 or 130K, you'll have to trust your eyes I think.

Disconnecting a speedo is much more common than you think.
Old November 21st, 2014, 01:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Carfax is both good and bad. So many cars have false miles readings that alone should not mess you up. A lot don't have miles readings because they don't get reported.

The ones I have seen are, for example, 10k, 15k, 45k, 20k, 25k

Well, the 45k is probably wrong.

OTOH if you see 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 5, 10. it probably had an odometer replaced.
Old November 21st, 2014, 01:38 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You also want to think about why a mileage discrepancy is on carfax. For instance I replaced my odometer with a new one when the body off, engine repower was done. I had the classic sometimes visible '97 odometer thing going on which nobody at that time knew how to repair. That was 8 years ago and if you added the before and after mileage, would be 178k. The discrepancy shows up in carfax because the truck has been inspected annually, sometimes...

Old November 21st, 2014, 01:40 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Mileage on the NAS trucks I think is becoming less of an issue for resale these days . A very good condition rust free example no matter what the miles are is getting hard to find . A low mileage NAS in good condition tells its own story , they are only original once no matter how good the resto is .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old November 21st, 2014, 02:02 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Carfax is both good and bad. So many cars have false miles readings that alone should not mess you up. A lot don't have miles readings because they don't get reported. The ones I have seen are, for example, 10k, 15k, 45k, 20k, 25k Well, the 45k is probably wrong. OTOH if you see 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 5, 10. it probably had an odometer replaced.
Agreed. I looked at a LR that had 38K on the clock, I knew within 5 mins that mileage was correct. I ran carfax and everything lined up for miles until the last reading (one year after) and it said 138K. Some idiot doing service or inspection thought that since it was a 90's truck, the odometer must have meant 138K, not the actual of 38K. Unfortunately the owner missed the incorrect reading and now it's carfax is stamped with that false odometer reading. Would that hurt the value? Depends on who really cares about a carfax report or what they actually see in person. In my opinion carfax can hurt value when it shouldn't. Say someone gets into a parking lot bump up, insurance is claimed, then an accident is on record. Does a minor Accident really matter for value? I only use carfax to make sure there was not serious damage or salvage/loss.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old November 21st, 2014, 05:53 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Only problem with carfax is you really don't know who the actual owner of the vehicle is?
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old November 21st, 2014, 06:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I have a series 2a that is going to have zero miles in the next week if anyone if looking for a sweet deal on a low mileage series, wink wink.
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Grandy
Matthew
'97 NAS D90

Hey All,

Sorry for grave digging this old thread, but, I am looking for information on getting the '97 odometer fixed. I have the very hard (impossible) to read digital odometer and I can't get it passed at emissions in my state unless the odometer is readable. Anyone have any leads on who to call? how to fix? replacements? Many thanks
Old December 4th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandy View Post
Hey All,

Sorry for grave digging this old thread, but, I am looking for information on getting the '97 odometer fixed. I have the very hard (impossible) to read digital odometer and I can't get it passed at emissions in my state unless the odometer is readable. Anyone have any leads on who to call? how to fix? replacements? Many thanks
North Hollywood speedometer to get it fixed. Or buy a new VDO vision speedometer if you are okay with a different one.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac