Destroyed D110's in Georgia Conflict WARNING: GRAPHIC PICTURES OF DEAD BODIES - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Destroyed D110's in Georgia Conflict WARNING: GRAPHIC PICTURES OF DEAD BODIES

These are pretty sad pictures, D110's destroyed in the Georgia conflict. I held back a tear or two. Scroll down to the bottom pictures. These are posted by Russian Soldiers.

http://www.navoine.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=551

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:09 PM
smittycrusher
Scott B. Smith
None Yet

Sad. I was actually having a rough day until I saw these pics. Pics pretty much told me to get over myself and be very thankful that a bad day for me is a fantastic/great day for many others. The 110's looked to be very nice. The loss of life evident certainly overshadows the vehicles though. Life is pretty darn good in this "tough" economy over here in the states with $4 gas.

Smit
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Poor 110s.
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Thanks for the warning Neil, I would have looked if you had not posted that warning. Thats why I only visit this site as people on other sites would have just thrown the pics up.
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:19 PM
turbodave
Dave C
1983 110

War Sucks. I didn't see the 110's - I quit about half-way down.
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm staying out of this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
The 110's were there with a lot of hamburger meat around them. I gotta say, after training my whole adult life on blowing that crap up..that Russion equipment sucks! I can't believe anyone is still buying from them.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its not so much that they're still buying Russian stuff, its maintaining a legacy force. We've also made a big mistake FMS-wise with that M1 turbine engine - we've priced it out of a lot of countrys' ability to afford it. The Russian equipment does suck incredibly, but its simple and rover-like, so the troops can keep it running and some of the design features are very clever.

Old August 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
how the hell did you find that board ?
The rovers start @ frame #68

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Don't all the soldiers of fortune read that board?

Old August 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm a fan of the M1 being overpriced. Friends today can be enemies tomorrow. There's some stuff we don't need to be selling.

Didn't Chavez just sign a deal with Moscow for arms purchases? He's such an Idiot.

Noriega needs a cell mate...
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its overpriced for us too. How many packs can your brigade replace each year? I bet that gets briefed monthly.

The funny thing is that we'll never fight the Russians in straight-up conventional warfare, but we'll sure be shooting up their equipment for a while.

Old August 20th, 2008, 09:57 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Wow thats heavy stuff. And here i was complaining about getting stuck in the mud.

Did you see these guys taking on fire in the Disco? Not sure how they made it out of this alive but they survived.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe...ref=newssearch
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:01 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

The Russian soldiers look and act like thugs. It is a sad time in our history when the European union and Nato allow Russia to bully their weaker democratic neighbors simply because Russia has all of the gas and oil that powers Europe. It seems that the Europeans need to stand up to Putin or this kind of behavior will be repeated. Russia needs Europe's money as much as Europe needs the oil and gas. IMO
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A number of the pieces of Russian equipment had "Chechnya" hand painted onto them, I suspect that means they expected to do the Georgians the same way they did the Chechens (brutally). I wish it was as simple as you describe Todd, since that would make my job much easier. The perspective changes a bit when you consider that the Soviet era was the most stable period in many of these countries' histories. This doesn't excuse anything, but we can't look east and expect to see anything remotely European. Also, keep in mind that Russian soldiers (below SGT) are not paid a salary, and they are little more than a badly herded mob.

Old August 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
The one thing I noticed about all of those fried Soviet tanks is that the reactive armor (on the turrets) was still in tact and sitting over a burned out hulks of what use to be a complete tanks. I guess you just have to aim low with some armor piercing depleted urainium munitions and "T" series tanks and their occupants are toast! I saw an image of a Russian convoy on their way home posted on the CCN web site... they had a pretty clean US hummer in tow.... trophy/spoils of war I guess.... they would have been smarter to drag all of those Defenders they shot up back home. They could have parted them out and made a "killing" on ebay....

Old August 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
The one thing I noticed about all of those fried Soviet tanks is that the reactive armor (on the turrets) was still in tact and sitting over a burned out hulks of what use to be a complete tanks. I guess you just have to aim low with some armor piercing depleted urainium munitions and "T" series tanks and their occupants are toast! I saw an image of a Russian convoy on their way home posted on the CCN web site... they had a pretty clean US hummer in tow.... trophy/spoils of war I guess.... they would have been smarter to drag all of those Defenders they shot up back home. They could have parted them out and made a "killing" on ebay....
georgians didnt have air cover, without it, id be surprized if any of them were dumb enough to be in the tanks. reactive armor vs. a mig 29? good luck with that one, id rather be in the d110.
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

JIM indeed "it' is not easy. dealing with brutal dictatorships which is essentially what Russia is now is not easy. Look to Iraq for that answer. Of course Iraq was stable under the brutality and fear of Saddam. The African continent was much more stable under colonial rule, but all good things must come to an end. Eventually rogue states and dictators must be dealt with by the civilized world, and that is the US and Europe.
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm with you Todd, I'm just not prepared to say we "let" them get away with this stuff. We have less initiative since we are pretty much a democracy and they are pretty much authoritarian. Plus we saddle ourselves with "alliances" and "partnerships" which further slow down our decision/reaction cycle. The Russians are wrong-headed about national sovereignty and world security and it will bite them sooner or later. From our standpoint, I think I worry more about instruments of national power wielded swiftly and incompetently than slowly and conservatively. Of course I also wish it was _that_ simple. Nevertheless, the I'm confident the Russians are playing a game they will ultimately lose.

Old August 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Politics aside, do you guys think they (occupants) of the rover would had fared better had the D110's been fully armored? Like the ones the British military are using in Basra. I think they still would of been immobilized but perhaps given at least some protection to run for cover.

Robert Deniro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, d110