Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 20th, 2014, 02:52 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Was written in haste ... yep use of kid is wrong. But equally are you able to point to any facts that support your emotive claim that strength of the dead person is in fact greater that that of the local police force.
Without buying the complete set of the Ferguson PD trading card set I can't for sure but that is why I used the term "more than likely" based on the statistical norm for the average American's physical stature. Michael Brown was 6'4" tall and weighed 292 lb. How many cops have you seen that are that large?

The officer involved in the shooting is reported to have severe facial injuries caused by the unarmed man. You have to be pretty big and pretty strong to cause severe facial injuries with just your bare fists/hands to a trained LEO.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/ferguson-sh...ry?id=25047905
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2014, 06:21 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba
No Rovers, Series or Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Without buying the complete set of the Ferguson PD trading card set I can't for sure but that is why I used the term "more than likely" based on the statistical norm for the average American's physical stature. Michael Brown was 6'4" tall and weighed 292 lb. How many cops have you seen that are that large?

The officer involved in the shooting is reported to have severe facial injuries caused by the unarmed man. You have to be pretty big and pretty strong to cause severe facial injuries with just your bare fists/hands to a trained LEO.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/ferguson-sh...ry?id=25047905
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:25 PM
javelinadave
-
-

In my opinion here is the real problem. Hacks like Huffington Post reporter Ryan Reilly go out of their way, inventing news with the intention of stirring the pot. They are the media version of Al Not-So-Sharp-ton or Father Jackson. They pick a side and push their agenda instead of presenting the facts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba

Quote:
In my opinion here is the real problem. Hacks like Huffington Post reporter Ryan Reilly go out of their way, inventing news with the intention of stirring the pot. They are the media version of Al Not-So-Sharp-ton or Father Jackson. They pick a side and push their agenda instead of presenting the facts.

Those are in fact rubber penetrators
Old August 20th, 2014, 10:14 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

My naive thoughts...

What if the officer had been able to subdue Michael without using deadly force? Maybe the community would have been able to see that even when Michael Brown was acting erratically and using bad judgment, officer Wilson was able to keep his head and be 'the better man'. Communities have a growing mistrust and disrespect for the police because of situations like this. I understand that violence and poverty can run hand and hand, and the officers who work in these communities have it rougher than most. Maybe there should be a different type or more in depth training for them. It is without question terrible that officer Wilson was beaten, but Ďwhat ifí; he could have used a taser instead? What if he could have returned to the safety of his cruiser and waited for backup? There were no shortage of witnesses, Michael could have been arrested later. What if he could have shot the legs out from under Michael, calmed himself and taken a few paces back? Gave a few moments for the pain to set in and to talk Michael into compliance. Could Michael have grown up to be a positive member of society and his community, to in turn teach others that the mercy shown to him by officer Wilson had given him a second chance? Weíll never know.

In the video of Michael committing the robbery, I saw an above average in size youth using his stature for intimidation to get what he wanted. A dumb kid. Somewhere along the way he learned that this behavior was acceptable. His buddies were no better, they obviously liked to hang with him for this reason and did nothing to stop him. Itís bad for everyone. The community is outraged, the family has lost a child and the officer is fearful and grief stricken.

Looting? Well, you knew that was going to happen. People will loot and riot when their favorite football team loses.

A little story - My son began his life in a small town. He grew up knowing everyone and if you acted up, any one of the parents was going to put you in line. Respect wasnít an option. When we moved to a more urban area I knew he was going to eventually encounter difficulties with children who were raised differently than him. Sure enough there was a bully on the bus. Brett started to defend the others and became a target. He would come home very upset and didnít understand why these children were cursing, being disrespectful to their elders, yelling and putting their hands on each other in an aggressive way. I told him that, that type of behavior is what they are probably seeing at home and to try and not judge, but be understanding. I wanted to step in and protect him, but Brett requested that I let him deal with it in his own way. I had to respect and trust in that. We made a deal to let him try for a bit longer. HARD TO DO A few weeks went by and Brett came home drenched in sweat, red as a beet and smiling from ear to ear. He told me the boy had swatted a little girl on the head and he then pounced on him. He said that the boy was swinging at him, but he didnít swing back. He just grabbed him and pinned him down. ĎI sat on him and didnít let him up. I let him see what it was like mom.í There was never another problem with the bullying after that and he was surprised when other child wanted to be his friend.

My brothers and I were raised in Austin and the mix of races, cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds was diverse. We had some of the same experiences as Brett. We had to come to the defense of ourselves and other students on a few occasions. I had to suck it up and act tough or I was gonna get clobbered a couple of times. I didnít see that one ethnicity was more likely to be aggressive than any other. It was all about how they were raised and how they chose to use that information. It would be convenient if people were all the same color so race would be a non-issue, we could take that out of the equation and talk about other reasons why these things happen.

I have worked with the disabled, the elderly, the indigent and everyone in between and have seen a lot. Iíve spoken with children who were beaten and disfigured by their own parents because they were too dark or too light skinned, were bad at math, didnít wash a dish correctly. People who have gone from affluence to homeless and from walking to wheelchair. Brutality face to face and by proxy. I agree that stereotyping and lump grouping may be helpful for certain reasons but then again it can also be argued that it is the easy out and causes more harm than good.

There may very well be truth in the stereotype of an Irishman (insert religion, nationality, skin color, gender, etc. here), but when it casts a bad light on yourself and the future generations of Irish; Would you want it to stay that way? ĎHe/she/they canít help it, they are Irish

- Carmen
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:23 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I added Big Dick to my ignore list and this thread now reads like actual adults having a discussion. I encourage you all to try it.
Old August 21st, 2014, 12:28 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
I added Big Dick to my ignore list and this thread now reads like actual adults having a discussion. Let's hope summer break ends soon or his parents ground him from using his computer.
I've been skipping over his comments for ages now.... It's almost a reflex...

let's put this in perspective.... Take the situation at face value without involving the politics.... A man that had previously been beaten by another, that was in all likelihood physically superior to himself ( playing the normal curve here ), was confronted within minutes of the beating, which was severe by most accounts, by the assailant, who by all appearances intended to continue the assault. I believe one of the reasons police officers are allowed to carry guns is to protect themselves. They are not supposed to use excessive force but.... When a person encounters a stressful situation, the prefrontal cortex is flooded by dopamine, which has the effect of diminishing higher order cognitive functions, causing more primitive practiced reflexes to come forth. The more stressful the situation the greater this effect.

Having, what you believe, your life at risk is very stressful. Don't forget that the officer had just literarily had his scull cracked by the other man (orbital fracture). I don't know how the police practice but I assume that they attend firing ranges where they most likely empty clips at targets much more often than they take one shot, stop and assess the situation. How often do police practice with their tasers? The fact is the more stressful a situation, the less conscious control a person has, leaving them with what they are used to doing... The practiced reflex.... Law enforcement knows this hence the hours of drilling...

I believe that the officer did what he was trained to do. If that is a problem, then we need to look at how they are trained.

Personally, I would have probably done the exact same thing.

Carmen, I agree that there may have been a better way to handle the situation... But put yourself in that officers shoes... Try to feel what he must have been feeling...now put a gun in your hand and ask yourself how many bullets would be left in your clip.
Old August 21st, 2014, 12:40 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Here is the video of the other shooting in the area...

Really, a police assisted suicide.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1909134

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:19 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Skateboarder beats, kicks park ranger
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...ating.kyw.html

Here we go. This is exactly why law enforcement officers should trust no one.
As I previously stated, "when fear or respect, or both, for authority are not present, it makes for a scary environment."
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:23 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post

As I previously stated, "when fear or respect, or both, for authority are not present, it makes for a scary environment."
Where is Al Not-So-Sharp-Ton or Eric "Fast & Furious" Holder? Why are they not standing up for the park ranger?
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Where is Al Not-So-Sharp-Ton or Eric "Fast & Furious" Holder? Why are they not standing up for the park ranger?
Because the ranger represents authority. Al, Jesse, and whoever else only stand up for the people who want to do their own fun illegal activities without reprisal from the big bad popo.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:13 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post

This would have been a 'Zimmerman shoot' scenario. The Park Ranger? took his lumps and won't have to fight it out in court.. or at least, to a degree.

He did use his feet in a ground position to keep the assailant from the mount position, however, his training was lacking after that...

The 2 other punks should be charged as well.

This is a case where I side with LE.

Old August 26th, 2014, 04:42 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
HOLY SMOKES!!

Was out of town for a few days and came back to 95 replies!

Awesome!! Now, If everyone can just quit saying we have "race relations" issues in this country, we know that....we should be asking ourselves WHY we have race relations issues...

Not too many folks would like that answer I surmise....

Anyway, glad to be back BOARD!!

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old August 26th, 2014, 06:01 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
There is an ever increasing reason I'm afraid to drive through certain parts of town and I definitely won't get out of the car. Gunshot toll: Public foots bills, uninsured die more http://www.cnbc.com/id/101945277 It's because I feel like they all carry guns in the minority areas. The statistics are there. Then I read this a few minutes ago. American fighting for ISIS killed in Syria http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/26/world/...led/index.html Violence and fighting is in their genes. It's in the blood. Would you feel safe walking the streets of Lagos, Nigeria at night? Yes there are nice, good people. But the race as a whole is a warrior race. Always competing to be the big dog in the hood.
Old August 26th, 2014, 06:10 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Dirtbag scum is not race specific... But it definitely favours one race over others...
Old August 26th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Don't know if anyone has posted this one yet. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...10shrtbl06.xls
Old August 26th, 2014, 06:42 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Wait... Am I reading that correctly.. White on white crime was 2770.. But black on white was 477..????
Old August 26th, 2014, 06:56 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I'd like to see those numbers in percentile factors. Those numbers would be less skewed.
It is also not a crime specific breakdown.
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Important not to lose sight of the big picture, lest folks just live in unfounded fear, ie violent crime continues to fall.
As far as white vs black, bear in mind I am guessing they roll Hispanic into white and as was alluded it would be useful to break the #'s down in terms of proportion of the population.
Old November 24th, 2014, 09:52 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
No indictment for officer Darren Wilson.

Is Ferguson ablaze yet?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat