Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 18th, 2014, 06:49 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
My question is; If the officers of this town were all black and it happened would there still be rioting? And as far as the demographics of police forces or business or colleges wouldn't you want to hire/admit the best qualified, no matter what thier race or sexual orientation?
In theory, but I think we all know that politics and preferential treatment go into most job hires. With police it's especially visible.
If it were an African American cop I actually don't think there would be rioting. Then again there might not have been a shooting if the police representative had been racially familiar to the departed. Then again there might not have been a shooting if this were a different cop. As my friends from Maine say, "hard saying, not knowing."
Unfortunately it was the perfect storm. Unarmed black male killed by a white officer in broad daylight. it's definitely sensational.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2014, 06:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrichmanitoba View Post
Ask me how I know you were never in LE or the military.
Four shots of .50 BMG :-)
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:04 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba
No Rovers, Series or Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
In theory, but I think we all know that politics and preferential treatment go into most job hires. With police it's especially visible.
If it were an African American cop I actually don't think there would be rioting. Then again there might not have been a shooting if the police representative had been racially familiar to the departed. Then again there might not have been a shooting if this were a different cop. As my friends from Maine say, "hard saying, not knowing."
Unfortunately it was the perfect storm. Unarmed black male killed by a white officer in broad daylight. it's definitely sensational.
It happens more than you think. Ever live in a black neighborhood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2014, 07:10 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I will conservatively estimate each one of those bullets will cost out at about 20 million a piece.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:20 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I will conservatively estimate each one of those bullets will cost out at about 20 million a piece.
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:25 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
No representation on the police force...?

I guess they were out of applications when EVERY SINGLE minority applied....purple, magenta, female, GLBT, whatever, applied.

It would be interesting to see the "minority" applications..

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:27 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
No representation on the police force...?

I guess they were out of applications when EVERY SINGLE minority applied....purple, magenta, female, GLBT, whatever, applied.

It would be interesting to see the "minority" applications..
After this debacle they are gonna end up like the NYPD.
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:49 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
Not when....

Quote:
With all due respect if a target that big was charging at me, I think I could take him down at that distance without 4 shots, especially if it was an 18 year old kid who wasn't high on PCP or a Moro warrior charging me in the jungle.

your nuts are about throat level and your adrenaline level is so high it would keep Starsky, Hutch, Huggy Bear, AND two of his beeches wide awake...

Old August 18th, 2014, 07:55 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
No representation on the police force...? I guess they were out of applications when EVERY SINGLE minority applied....purple, magenta, female, GLBT, whatever, applied. It would be interesting to see the "minority" applications..
Yes, the African American representation is not in line with the racial makeup of the community. FACT

http://campbelllawobserver.com/2012/...ing-practices/

Read. This is an extreme example of it, FDNY is the largest fire fighting force in the country.

You are correct that there is a major delta in applicants (but not in all places) and it's very clearly drawn on race lines. I'm not saying it's right, wrong, or otherwise. I'm just pointing out that diversity in enforcement can't be a bad thing. It all starts with education, which all starts with jobs. Blah blah blah. This event might have served to educate a few people on the racial disparities between enforcement and under representation in enforcement but the rioting effectively ruined that opportunity and just enforces the idea that 'these people are animals'

C'est la vie. I'm just providing a counter point to the board because a bunch of white guys discussing discrimination is akin to politicians discussing the plight of the poor in this country.

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2014 06:01 PM ------

Quote:
your nuts are about throat level and your adrenaline level is so high it would keep Starsky, Hutch, Huggy Bear, AND two of his beeches wide awake...
Haha we can't all be cool hand luke under pressure.
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There is clearly something really messed up in Ferguson.
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cart...140818_low.jpg

Wonder how long it will take for a Grand Jury to come back with a decision whether or not to charge the Police Officer's actions.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:02 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba

Quote:
Yes, the African American representation is not in line with the racial makeup of the community. FACT

Read. This is an extreme example of it, FDNY is the largest fire fighting force in the country.

You are correct that there is a major delta in applicants (but not in all places) and it's very clearly drawn on race lines. I'm not saying it's right, wrong, or otherwise. I'm just pointing out that diversity in enforcement can't be a bad thing. It all starts with education, which all starts with jobs. Blah blah blah. This event might have served to educate a few people on the racial disparities between enforcement and under representation in enforcement but the rioting effectively ruined that opportunity and just enforces the idea that 'these people are animals'

C'est la vie. I'm just providing a counter point to the board because a bunch of white guys discussing discrimination is akin to politicians discussing the plight of the poor in this country.
Naivete

Outside of the NE, police candidates have to pass some level of background investigation, be of average intelligence, have no felonies, etc..

Ask me how I know you are from RI?
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:03 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
There is clearly something really messed up in Ferguson. http://editorialcartoonists.com/cart...140818_low.jpg Wonder how long it will take for a Grand Jury to come back with a decision whether or not to charge the Police Officer's actions.
Better question, how long before they approve the budget to install dash cams...
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:06 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle

Registry
So....

Quote:

hiring SHOULD be based, by government decree, on your skin color, your ethnicity, gender, your sexual bias, etc? Instead of merit?? Like I said, I'm tired of paying for the sins of my father...

By the way,I never knew there was racism involved in selling a Defender to ANYBODY that could buy one...or that there was a "race" button when one signed up to be a member...sheeesh..

Old August 18th, 2014, 08:07 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Well, according to Charlie, Tea Party members are "White Crackers."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...hite-crackers/

Oh, and Republicans are racist.

Double standard much?

And since Im Asian, I guess I'd be a "Yellow Cracker?"
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:08 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba

Quote:
hiring SHOULD be based, by government decree, on your skin color, your ethnicity, gender, your sexual bias, etc? Instead of merit?? Like I said, I'm tired of paying for the sins of my father...

By the way,I never knew there was racism involved in selling a Defender to ANYBODY that could buy one...or that there was a "race" button when one signed up to be a member...sheeesh..
Northeasterners gonna Northeast the F out of this country.

The Northeast should be their own country.
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:13 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
"Teenager refers to the individuals age, he just graduated high school. Mind you his physical size does make him a threat to most 'average' kids his age in a playground fight. But the firearm and pepper spray of the police officer should level the playing field in most altercations (also, the officer's training and restraint are a factor)" Assume that this teenager has ignored your demands, as a police officer, 'to stop'. Then imagine that he turns around (NOT facing away with arms raised hollering out "Don't Shoot" as his friend claimed) and all 6'4"/292lbs coming running directly at you. You've got 35' of distance or the equivalent of < 4 seconds to respond. So tell me you're going to let this mountain of a man, acting in an aggressive behavior, just run you over? Fuck no! This 'kid' knew he had just committed robbery. It has to be considered that he thought the officer also knew this. By the way, this 'kid' has a record of armed robbery and physical assault in what appears to have been a home invasion back in 2013. We don't know what is concealed in his juvy records. Oh yeah, while we're bashing the white police officer shooting an unarmed child, 51 blacks were maimed or killed by other blacks in NYC and Shitcago in the last 24 hours. Not a fucking peep from Obama, Eric, Al, Jesse or the NBP. The MSM swept it under the rug too. ------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2014 05:44 PM ------ 6 shots and this kid finally succombs to the last 2 head shots! This is why I carry a .45, not a 9mm. 2 or 3 hollowpoints would have torn the arm off this perp. The head shots wouldn't have been needed.
Hollow points are great to a point. Then, as one of our deputies found out one night when a suspect tried to run him over with a car, hollow points don't work so well. They just ricocheted off the windshield and mushroomed on the door skin not penetrating.
I worked my way through college in law enforcement. After this incident, we all emptied our clips and reloaded alternating hollow point and ball.
Truth of the matter is when faced with a situation that requires quick thinking and the adrenaline is pumping and your vision tunnels on you, your reaction could be your life or theirs.
When it's all over, most can not even remember how many rounds were fired. Did I shoot once? Or did I empty the clip?
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:14 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

It would be interesting to see how many black vs white people applied for work as a police officer... As mentioned as a general rule of thumb a higher percentage of black vs white have already made themselves ineligible for application and as a general rule of thumb black people dislike the popo more than white people do, so why become one...and don't give me that shit about poor black neighborhoods are the reason for the the violence, self perpetuating vicious cycle bullshit....if you really want to get out of the cycle you can... This is still the land of opportunity, all you have to do is wanna seize the opportunities that are there to allow yourself to become a better person, but most people don't want to put in the effort...it's easier to blame the system than it is to break out of it.. And besides.. Welfare pays you to stay in it..

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2014 08:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Well, according to Charlie, Tea Party members are "White Crackers."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...hite-crackers/

Oh, and Republicans are racist.

Double standard much?

And since Im Asian, I guess I'd be a "Yellow Cracker?"
Oh man.. I love those ritz crackers....
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:18 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Hollow points are great to a point. Then, as one of our deputies found out one night when a suspect tried to run him over with a car, hollow points don't work so well. They just ricocheted off the windshield and mushroomed on the door skin not penetrating.
I worked my way through college in law enforcement. After this incident, we all emptied our clips and reloaded alternating hollow point and ball.
Truth of the matter is when faced with a situation that requires quick thinking and the adrenaline is pumping and your vision tunnels on you, your reaction could be your life or theirs.
When it's all over, most can not even remember how many rounds were fired. Did I shoot once? Or did I empty the clip?
This!

Alot of silver bullet commando or never been exposed to ghetto culture types in here.

Sad, really...

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2014 08:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
It would be interesting to see how many black vs white people applied for work as a police officer... As mentioned as a general rule of thumb a higher percentage of black vs white have already made themselves ineligible for application and as a general rule of thumb black people dislike the popo more than white people do, so why become one...and don't give me that shit about poor black neighborhoods are the reason for the the violence, self perpetuating vicious cycle bullshit....if you really want to get out of the cycle you can... This is still the land of opportunity, all you have to do is wanna seize the opportunities that are there to allow yourself to become a better person, but most people don't want to put in the effort...it's easier to blame the system than it is to break out of it.. And besides.. Welfare pays you to stay in it..

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2014 08:18 PM ------

Oh man.. I love those ritz crackers....
I knew plenty of fat minority women who pushed their way into LE and ended up hidden in the office. Most males of a certain persuasion can't pass the background investigation.
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:32 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
No ones paying for anything; in fact because of the sacrifices and hardships your parents faced your lot in life has improved. If they hadn't collectively decided to stick together and force their way in the door and the Irish would still be the bottom rung of society. It's cyclical, I am sure there were Englishman in NY at the turn of the last century looking down on the Irish protests and riots and saying the exact same things about them; 'animals'.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:38 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Quote:
With all due respect if a target that big was charging at me, I think I could take him down at that distance without 4 shots, especially if it was an 18 year old kid who wasn't high on PCP or a Moro warrior charging me in the jungle.
naive....

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2014 08:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
All of my pistol clips are alternate hollowpoint/ball for shooting through doors and flesh. I only load up with straight ball when target shooting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat