leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
LOL my bad.. MetroSexual Boost Town
I was referring to the place I lived before here ... No idea about car crime here. Back in the UK it was rampant.

I knew a kid when I was a college who would turn up to party every weekend in a late model hot hatch car ... Everyone assumed he worked for a dealer. He didn't ... It was the only car he knew how to steal. He'd take one on the Friday. Use it all weekend. Burn it on the Sunday night.

Quick cars were also taken the use to race the police. They steal a Volvo or some other heavy car drive into a shop through the front window of. Load the fast car with stolen goods and then wait for the police to show up for race. They all used scanners and treated part of the event racing the police.

The scanner situation got a bit out of hand so the police fought back. One night the mounted a sting and announced that at some remote location a cash carrying truck had crashed and money was flying all over the road. The kids raced up to grab it and the cops confiscated the scanners.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2015, 11:37 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post
Hey guys, so I did some more research and this thing called LoJack (for Classics) seems to work. It's a little box thing the size of a deck of cards that uses radio signals so your car can be detected in an underground parking lot for example. It is hidden inside your car, uses no wires or connections to your battery, and apparently you just let it be. In the case that your car is stolen, you just notify the police which activates the device, and the police follow the trail until they find your car. If your car is not found within 24hrs, you get a full refund. This is what I got from their site.
Sticking the car in a container negates these. The container acts as a faraday cage blocking signals giving time for it to be located by the thieves.

A farmer from back home had a tractor stolen. He can log into a website and watch it ploughing fields via The GPS signal is some ex-soviet backwater.
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:42 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I was referring to the place I lived before here ... No idea about car crime here. Back in the UK it was rampant.

I knew a kid when I was a college who would turn up to party every weekend in a late model hot hatch car ... Everyone assumed he worked for a dealer. He didn't ... It was the only car he knew how to steal. He'd take one on the Friday. Use it all weekend. Burn it on the Sunday night.

Quick cars were also taken the use to race the police. They steal a Volvo or some other heavy car drive into a shop through the front window of. Load the fast car with stolen goods and then wait for the police to show up for race. They all used scanners and treated part of the event racing the police.

The scanner situation got a bit out of hand so the police fought back. One night the mounted a sting and announced that at some remote location a cash carrying truck had crashed and money was flying all over the road. The kids raced up to grab it and the cops confiscated the scanners.
Jason.?????..is that you...Mann, those were wild times...and it wasn't ALL I knew how to steal....lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2015, 11:42 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

I've got a business partner that owns gotrack.com

If anyone is interested I can see if he will offer a group/forum discount. I've visited their headquarters and they are good people. Let me know if there is interest.
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:44 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Hasn't LoJack been around since before the show Cops?
Indeed its been around for a while. Usually its an option from a dealer when buying a new car to have them install it. From what I remember the way it works is its more of a radar in that it shows a spot where the car is but doesn't incorporate it with highway roads, parking garages etc...so if its on an on ramp or an interchange it could get tricky, a minor flaw.

Another option is to get gps trackers, some of them link to smartphones, ipads etc. You can connect them straight to the battery and they also have a reserve and are fairly discrete/small. Shows where you traveled, where the vehicle currently is, speed etc. Probably the best security measure if you're worried about your vehicle going overseas (assuming the gps has maps loaded for abroad)
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:00 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Jason.?????..is that you...Mann, those were wild times...and it wasn't ALL I knew how to steal....lol...
I can see all the drugs you were taking did have a serious long term impact though ..... ;-)
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:00 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Sticking the car in a container negates these. The container acts as a faraday cage blocking signals giving time for it to be located by the thieves.
Or just disconnect the battery. From what I remember LoJack's fatal flaw was that they ran off of the car's battery.
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:43 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

LoJack Classic has it's own power source
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:44 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
This one has been popular on different forums:

Sourcingbay Tracking Drive Vehicle Car Tracker Gps/gsm/gprs System

Just plug that into amazon. You can use a sim from a prepaid phone, for example.
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post

Looky Looky Looky

Shayne is actually Alex DeLarge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clockwork-orange-driving.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	110248  
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:26 AM
pdz
paul tj deasey
1994 D90 - #795

I don't think they make this for Left hand drive versions, but it looks like it would work to me
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:30 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnecc View Post
assuming the gps has maps loaded for abroad
The devices only pass out GPS co-ordinates the analyzing website or app renders this against a map. You don't need to load tracking devices with maps for 'abroad'.
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

The more recent versions of lojack and other tracking systems have a separate power source. Thieves would leave cars to "cool off" for a few days to confirm they had properly disabled whatever tracking device was installed prior to shipping them out of the country. I don't think this is still an issue as thieves stealing cars beyond a joyride jam cell and gps signals until they confirm everything has been disabled.

The best advice is to not buy or hold onto used cars that are commonly stolen for parts cars (hondas, toyotas and nissans from 10-15 years ago) and to not buy an Escalade or new Range Rover unless you are aware of the risk of it being stolen.

Unfortunately, there are also now risks of some idiot trying to kill you over your Range Rover or Escalade and that is too much for me to stomach.

Other cars b are also stolen but from what I know those are the big risk vehicles and probably a few pickup trucks but in other areas of the country.

I helped install the sim card tracking device in a vespa; very easy and effective.
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

As a side note, the government should put some significant effort into stopping stolen cars from leaving the country. That is an actual problem. Pursuing criminal charges against a fisherman throwing back fish to avoid a fine is not in the public interest nor are the majority of matters the government pursues.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...ates-sad-saga/
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:02 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Quote:
The devices only pass out GPS co-ordinates the analyzing website or app renders this against a map. You don't need to load tracking devices with maps for 'abroad'.
Ah, I didn't know that, I assumed it would be like using a navigation system when you enter a region that doesn't have the maps loaded. Makes more sense now.
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

They text you back GPS coordinates.
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
The more recent versions of lojack and other tracking systems have a separate power source. Thieves would leave cars to "cool off" for a few days to confirm they had properly disabled whatever tracking device was installed prior to shipping them out of the country. I don't think this is still an issue as thieves stealing cars beyond a joyride jam cell and gps signals until they confirm everything has been disabled.

The best advice is to not buy or hold onto used cars that are commonly stolen for parts cars (hondas, toyotas and nissans from 10-15 years ago) and to not buy an Escalade or new Range Rover unless you are aware of the risk of it being stolen.

Unfortunately, there are also now risks of some idiot trying to kill you over your Range Rover or Escalade and that is too much for me to stomach.

Other cars b are also stolen but from what I know those are the big risk vehicles and probably a few pickup trucks but in other areas of the country.

I helped install the sim card tracking device in a vespa; very easy and effective.

Awfully nice for you to help Tom out like that!
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

LoJack apparently uses fm radio signals. Anybody got a radio jammer?
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:31 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I wonder if having an old iPhone wired into the harness and hidden in the dash would work. Then you could use the phone tracker in iTunes. Hmmm.
Wire it into the radio and you could also access your stored music.
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Apparently they search for the lojack box and remove it out or somehow block the radio antenna. My opinion is that if your car is stolen by a ring to be shipped out of the country you will most likely never see it again, regardless of what security system you have.

If your car is stolen by an amatuer (joyride) I am sure these security systems are very helpful.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat