Defenders eat mud! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 7th, 2005, 07:01 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Defenders eat mud!

Is it me or do d-90's get a considerable amount of mud underneath. I took my 90 in a little mud last weekend and afterwards I went underneath to clean up. I have never seen so many places for mud to get caught in my life. There are alot of places that are inaccesable to a hose that take in pounds of mud. I went under with a creaper and some safety glasses. I removed pounds and pounds of mud. I coated my driveway with the stuff It took me a few hours and I think I may have gotten about two thirds of it then the superbowl came on and i called it a day. I know I must sound like a wimp but I have wheeled many different kinds of vehicles In much much crazier mud but i have never seen a truck suck up mud like this. Sorry for bitching but I was woundering if you guys have any ways to prevent mud from sticking so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2005, 07:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
haha yeah its a bitch sometimes to get all the mud out, I always find the worst is along the rear, there is like a little lip in the tail light area that runs the length of the truck that gets filled up with mud and what not. Thats the only place I have trouble with mud sometimes the interior I am still cleaning mud out and the rear sliding window tracks seem to collect lots of grit.

Get mudflaps

Follow-up Post:

http://www.xtremelandy.co.uk/Toms%20...Frame%2058.jpg
Old February 7th, 2005, 07:52 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I've heard spraying with a vegetable based cooking spray will make it stick less, but never tried/never cared.
Of course you could always trade it for an H2, I hear they rarely get mud underneath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2005, 08:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
there are a plenty of Defenders that never see dirt, its ashame to see one of the most capable 4x4's never ever get used.. just a shame

Mud part of a balanced diet.
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
I just had to replace the wiring to the fuel pump due to mud sand & water being caught in the frame where the wiring harness passes thru.My mechanic stated that the friction from the mud & sand rubbing against the wires ate thur the wiring harness.I check the vehicle and I thought it was a bad fuel pump but the shop stated their was no power at the fuel pump.So beware clean your trucks as good as you can and cross your fingers.
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Russell, my best advice is to drive it in the rain through a bunch of puddles before trying to wash it, the rain/puddle method gets allot of the mud off and makes cleaning allot easier. It knocks about 2 hours of washing off of my time.
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I always throw half a day away after a muddy outing.
It's not a matter of a poser truck which is always clean
(er,mine hasn't seen action since...errrr...last summer?DOH!)
it's rust fear.

Leaving the poor creature covered in mud means accelerating rust process to me.

As for the "mud traps" there's enough room to push a rubber hose inside and keep soaking
everywhere until clean water splashes out.
I often use a little brush to clean the tight corners et so...

Cheers!

(Waxoyl helps BTW)
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:17 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Last time I washed mine (which wasn't too long ago - Rust fear) it took about 2 hours because I, like Russel, realized I had about 50 pounds of mud in the tubes of my bull bar and rear bumper. I made the mistake of washing it in my fiance`s parent's driveway. I pulled away and her sister looked at me and said, "What the hell did you do to our driveway?"
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:31 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

"I've heard spraying with a vegetable based cooking spray will make it stick less, but never tried/never cared.
Of course you could always trade it for an H2, I hear they rarely get mud underneath."

Ouch that was harsh! I am willing to put in the time and effort to clean it up.I spent my whole sunday until 6:30 of course getting all he mud I could out and I waxed her. Since I do mud at least every other weekend I was just looking for a way to make the process a little easier. For those of you who have wheeled other vehicles you have to admit that the D-90 collects an excessive amount of mud.
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have tried silicone spray instead of Pam with good results. The mud washed off much easier but after 1 washing you have to recoat it again so it is kinda a pain. I would also guess that if you painted the underside with a gloss that the paint would wash off faster, but that would look a little funny when clean. To make things easier I drive the front tires up onto a 2 foot retaining wall so that I can get underneath easier. Another neat trick that works well in is to find a boat ramp and to drive in and out a few times to get some of the mud off.
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I have the crunchies when I walk in the back of the 110 -- hard Nevada silt caked between the gas tank and the floorboard.

Doug W.
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Gardena lawn sprinkler works best for me. I have the model where I can adjust the width of the water so I just throw it under each corner of the truck. Takes about 15 minutes of watering and most of your mud will be gone. Saves me from crawling around under the truck, water's the lawn, and cleans my truck. I change my diff oil after every mud run and also frequently change the t-case. Anything left on there get's the pressure washer.

EwS
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
LMAO Eric I will have to get a sprinkler
Old February 8th, 2005, 06:14 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Change your diff oil every time? That is pretty impressive. How often do you mud?
I am a little hesitant to spray around up front because last time I washed it my ecu got wet and stopped injecting fuel and I conked out any advice on waterproofing that sucker because I only hosed it off moderatly when that happened. It wasn't like I was spraying straight at the engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
mud