Defender values..... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 26th, 2015, 02:01 PM
TodDallas
Tod
1987 Defender 110

Defender values.....

I posted my one owner 100% original 1987 Defender 110 on here a week ago and that triggered some surprisingly negative threads, and some awesomely supportive threads....I am sure some of you remember. It also triggered some nice private messages of support telling me to ignore the haters who think every Defender should be valued like a backyard project truck...I really appreciated those guys. The overwhelming message was NOT to list a nice truck on this site, what a shame that so many of you felt that way. So I took your advice and tried another route last Thursday.....four days, 6 interested parties and 4 offers later my truck is sold...I actually still am getting emails about it and probably could have raised the price. SO for those of you with nice Defenders that have been taken care of and truly are in great shape, don't hesitate to ask an appropriate price for them just because a few guys on here think every Defender is worth $20k or less.

Again, what a shame that an awesome site full of Defender lovers has so many members that don't feel its a good place to list a nice truck for sale. For sale ads should be supported to grow the site.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2015, 02:04 PM
toona
Toona
1994 D90

Registry
Well done and good for you. I thought that was a beautiful truck and a fair ask.

I have no intent on ever selling mine but I would be hesitant to post it on here also.
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:10 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
I have been hesitant to post mine on here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2015, 02:16 PM
TodDallas
Tod
1987 Defender 110

That sucks....maybe these threads will trigger the site to make some changes or members to support each other and the site. Good luck man.
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its a damn shame. I have been banged up on some of the trucks I have listed here. So much so that the folks overseas that send them over on consignment prefer they not get listed here.

In the old days of sailing ships they had a saying, a rotten apple spoils the entire barrel. The bitter few are ruining it for the rest, despite there being rules against commenting on asking prices.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Congradulations...I don't think I would have to list mine but yes I would be a little concerned about posting a for sale rig here. No one here is really a "Hater" just passionate and it comes off wrong a lot of the time. 95% of the guys here have their wrench in hand ready to help.
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:43 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Agree 100%, people get a little bent out of shape when people post vehicles to this board. If you knew the amount of buy and sell you might have a slightly different opinion of defender values.

Too often someone will purchase a truck only to mark it up 50% and relist it a day later, sometimes those posts find their way here and trigger the kind of negative outcry you may be seeing.

And, respectfully, most guy's look at the post count in the top right corner as a barometer of your actual interest in the community. It's not always accurate but sometimes people are just selling overpriced junk and they find their way here. That wasn't a specific comment, the 110 you had listed appeared to be MINT.
Old January 26th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Jwillia
Justin
87 ROW build in progress

Don't let the negative feedback discourage you from participating here. This is a great source for information and help. Glad you sold your truck. Was a nice looking 110!
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
most of the time I would say the feedback is positive...you always get negative feedback though....just overlook that - the market will dictate price either way. If it is too high, it will sit until reduced, if it is too low it will be gone in 60secs

Simple really.
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Funny thing is, list them here first and give forum members an opportunity (usually @ a reduced price), get spanked, and relist elsewhere and sell quickly for more money. Kind of a no brainer for sellers.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 26th, 2015, 03:20 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Hmmm, I sold quite a few Defenders last year and almost all through this site.
Maybe I should take another route and can catch more... ))

Twice listed a truck on ebay and both time highest bidder and also second highest bidder backed out.
On the other hand, last week a board member here also backed out after firm agreement both by phone and email.
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:03 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Congrats! I really don't get the passion excuse. I'll probably never understand how a higher asking price offends someone. On the other hand I totally understand how offensive it would be if a low-ball asking price was killing your potential resale value. I'm blessed the haters don't own real estate in my neighborhood. That would suck ass.

What is interesting to watch is how fast something can sell when someone blesses it publically on the forum.

Ever notice that?

Clay
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
Agree 100%, people get a little bent out of shape when people post vehicles to this board. If you knew the amount of buy and sell you might have a slightly different opinion of defender values.

Too often someone will purchase a truck only to mark it up 50% and relist it a day later, sometimes those posts find their way here and trigger the kind of negative outcry you may be seeing.

And, respectfully, most guy's look at the post count in the top right corner as a barometer of your actual interest in the community. It's not always accurate but sometimes people are just selling overpriced junk and they find their way here. That wasn't a specific comment, the 110 you had listed appeared to be MINT.

JT,

I challenge that statement

The so called barometer is no way to measure the interest, 70-80% of high post count fall under

BS between members
GLWTS
Wish I had the funds
Love the wheels
et etc etc

Also, half of the critics, 3 yrs ago were newbies, but rapidly in 60 days became experts on Rovers, furthermore, even after 3 years they do not know their ass from their elbow.

Making fun of a vehicle that has been destroyed by personal choice of the seller, well will warrant some fun, otherwise, there is absolutely no need to comment , unless the seller stupidly ask for our opinion.

As Mr Wanker Stain said " the Market is the only expert when it comes to a valuation of an item for sale " , the old silly supply and demand are the best way to position yourself as a seller

My $ 0.02 not that anyone cares
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodDallas View Post
I posted my one owner 100% original 1987 Defender 110 on here a week ago and that triggered some surprisingly negative threads, and some awesomely supportive threads....I am sure some of you remember. It also triggered some nice private messages of support telling me to ignore the haters who think every Defender should be valued like a backyard project truck...I really appreciated those guys. The overwhelming message was NOT to list a nice truck on this site, what a shame that so many of you felt that way. So I took your advice and tried another route last Thursday.....four days, 6 interested parties and 4 offers later my truck is sold...I actually still am getting emails about it and probably could have raised the price. SO for those of you with nice Defenders that have been taken care of and truly are in great shape, don't hesitate to ask an appropriate price for them just because a few guys on here think every Defender is worth $20k or less.

Again, what a shame that an awesome site full of Defender lovers has so many members that don't feel its a good place to list a nice truck for sale. For sale ads should be supported to grow the site.....
Good for you and thanks for following up with the board.
It's too bad about people's hesitation posting trucks for sale here because this should be the FIRST place people come to look for Defenders.

The problem is (if I may play Devil's advocate for one moment) is that too many shit-peddlers have used this forum as free advertisement and often look to take advantage of the newer, less advised members. So, people have a tendency to want to share their (often valid) opinions. Believe me I have been among them at times, though I have learned to let the marketplace sort itself out as it is not my job (or anyone else here) to play the role of "protector of realm". (think Creed Evans, Bill Cocks and man, many more)

I think because of this, it's hard for newer members to be taken seriously when both looking for a Defender or trying to sell a Defender.

I know I'd give it a long hard pause before I posted my Defender here for sale.
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:11 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
I like the fact that the people here uncover every brutal detail on trucks listed for sale. It's good info for buyers and history has shown that there are plenty of d-bags trying to make a buck the shady way. What I have a problem with are the people who bash sale threads strictly because they don't like the price. While I agree that it's bad form to come here, fail to participate in some meaningful way, and then use the sale section to schlep your truck(s) for max price, I don't want to see people shy away from posting trucks for sale. Who knows what treasure we may miss if they do.

It's crazy how much money clean, original, NAS 90/110's are bringing right now. I confess that I have been tempted to post mine up for $50k and let it ride until it sells. But every time I think I'm ready, I hesitate because I'm concerned that I'll post it here first, miss a tiny detail (despite honorable intentions), and get crucified for it. Or worse... fail to post it here first... and get crucified for it.

This forum has been an exceptionally valuable resource for me. It's helped me keep my 90 in tip-top condition while saving me some bucks along the way. Hell, I've even made a new friend or two. If I ever post it for sale, I'll offer a reduced price to all those who have shared their knowledge. But I don't offer my help (on the rare occasion I am able) with some over-entitled expectation that others will extend that same courtesy to me.
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:23 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I think it is more of a crapping in ads issue more than anything else. It shouldn't be done or tolerated.
Old January 26th, 2015, 05:26 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I think it is more of a crapping in ads issue more than anything else. It shouldn't be done or tolerated.
Agree 100%. I probably won't ever sell my Defender, but if I did I wouldn't start here with a "for sale" ad unfortunately.
Old January 26th, 2015, 06:35 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodDallas View Post
That sucks....maybe these threads will trigger the site to make some changes or members to support each other and the site. Good luck man.

I never plan to sell my truck. When I first joined this forum, I felt that some people with NAS trucks looked down on members with "ROW" models. I like the "ROW" trucks better. I love the Diesel engine and right hand drive. The first time that I remember seeing a Land Rover other than Range Rover and Discovery was in the UK. I was younger and stayed at my aunts house. There was a neighbour with a Series 2. I fell in love with the truck.

I try to be as supportive as possible and keep most of the negativity to myself. If every member follow this rule, this would be a better site.
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Cajun
G
1987 110

It's only a few more years until the ROW imports are newer than the NAS trucks.
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:29 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
It's only a few more years until the ROW imports are newer than the NAS trucks.
You're so right. I didn't even think of that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender