Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 26th, 2015, 11:04 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodDallas View Post
I posted my one owner 100% original 1987 Defender 110 on here a week ago and that triggered some surprisingly negative threads, and some awesomely supportive threads....I am sure some of you remember. It also triggered some nice private messages of support telling me to ignore the haters who think every Defender should be valued like a backyard project truck...I really appreciated those guys. The overwhelming message was NOT to list a nice truck on this site, what a shame that so many of you felt that way. So I took your advice and tried another route last Thursday.....four days, 6 interested parties and 4 offers later my truck is sold...I actually still am getting emails about it and probably could have raised the price. SO for those of you with nice Defenders that have been taken care of and truly are in great shape, don't hesitate to ask an appropriate price for them just because a few guys on here think every Defender is worth $20k or less.

Again, what a shame that an awesome site full of Defender lovers has so many members that don't feel its a good place to list a nice truck for sale. For sale ads should be supported to grow the site.....
Good for you! I really really wanted to go by and check your truck out where you had it located at and between work and the 17 month old I never got the chance.

Hopefully it stayed local?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2015, 11:26 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Way to go Tod from Dallas ...
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:18 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
I have been a serious enthusiast for a long time, but a Defender was never a vehicle I could afford or justify. Those you you who know me know I'm legally blind and don't even drive! But I have fantasized about owning a defender since I was a kid, like a lot of other enthusiasts.

Fast forward a couple years and my financial situation is way different and my wife has the defender bug too, so we bought a beautiful truck from a forum member. I was able to do a lot of background research that I could have never done on an ebay or craigslist truck. The seller got what he wanted out of the truck and I didn't pay ebay prices. It was the smoothest transaction despite some forum drama.

But that forum drama can be expected. Everyone has opinions. A lot of folks have very good opinions and enormous amounts of experience. And some don't. In the free for all that is a message board, things can get kinda tense.

I have learned a whole lot from the guys here and if it wasn't for them and this platform, I wouldn't own a Defender right now. Its really that simple.

just my experience and my $.02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily View Post
I have been a serious enthusiast for a long time, but a Defender was never a vehicle I could afford or justify. Those you you who know me know I'm legally blind and don't even drive! But I have fantasized about owning a defender since I was a kid, like a lot of other enthusiasts.

Fast forward a couple years and my financial situation is way different and my wife has the defender bug too, so we bought a beautiful truck from a forum member. I was able to do a lot of background research that I could have never done on an ebay or craigslist truck. The seller got what he wanted out of the truck and I didn't pay ebay prices. It was the smoothest transaction despite some forum drama.

But that forum drama can be expected. Everyone has opinions. A lot of folks have very good opinions and enormous amounts of experience. And some don't. In the free for all that is a message board, things can get kinda tense.

I have learned a whole lot from the guys here and if it wasn't for them and this platform, I wouldn't own a Defender right now. Its really that simple.

just my experience and my $.02.

I hope you enjoy your Defender...
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:44 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Must be that all those negative threads have been removed, cz I don't see any.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:30 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Must be that all those negative threads have been removed, cz I don't see any.
Agreed. I went back and looked at the thread, and although the original for sale thread got a little derailed, it wasn't negative, and aside from Ben mentioning that in order to get top dollar you should post elsewhere as well, there was really no mention of price. There were visual questions associated with your truck because you'd uploaded low resolution photos directly from the previous ad, but otherwise people were saying you had listed a fantastic truck. That said, it seems that the advice you rec'd via PM was accurate - you sold your truck quickly by putting it on eBay and getting a ton of exposure there. There are a ton of enthusiasts here, and they're usually willing to put quite a bit more effort into finding their ideal truck than most of the eBay crowd who are willing to pay a considerable premium for what is here and titled now. The enthusiasts here may also recognize the vehicle and know where it came from previously, unlike the usual eBay crowd. I'd personally consider $56k a premium for a RHD imported 110 with the original V8, and although you'll get quite a bit of exposure here, your pool is significantly smaller, and of course you will not always get what you're asking.

You should also realize that there has been a huge increase in commercial interests joining here in the past few years with less than truthful tactics for buying from and selling to other enthusiasts on this forum. So, while it would be nice to always trust every word out of every member's posts, there is sometimes a feeling out period especially when their first post(s) are from a commercial interest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-London-...642?rmvSB=true

http://the-landrovers.com/for-sale-u...-victoria-iii/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender