Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Wink Defender South African overdose

I'm in South Africa and defenders are so common if you wave you'll drive with one hand most of the time . Just got into Capetown after spending very relaxing days in sun city . On Saturday I'll be on Safari in Sabi Sabi in defenders . I'll post some pics when I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	South africa.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	8747  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
nice parking job
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
I'm in South Africa and defenders are so common if you wave you'll drive with one hand most of the time . Just got into Capetown after spending very relaxing days in sun city . On Saturday I'll be on Safari in Sabi Sabi in defenders . I'll post some pics when I can.
True. But there all the Defenders have AIDS.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jorge thats great. Can't wait to see the pics. When will you be back?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
cr7707
carl, joseph

I have always been curious why Rovers are so preferred over there? What are theadvantages?
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:56 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
True. But there all the Defenders have AIDS.

OMFG...thats funny
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

when i was in switzerland last summer, there where tons of defenders running around, damn near gave me whiplash! well that and all the rs6's i saw, i really wish that car had made it to america...
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr7707
I have always been curious why Rovers are so preferred over there? What are theadvantages?
Joking right? Easy to maintain, first car most of the continent saw,Colonial influence, durability.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA

Registry
Talking

I started the safari today and guest what ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo Library - 0035.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	8764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Library - 0037.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	8765  

Old March 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

My wife and I went to South Africa 4 years ago this month on our honeymoon. We stayed at 3 different game parks, Mala Mala, Ndumo and Rocktail Bay as well as Joburg, Durban and Cape Town. Defenders were everywhere, and broken down defenders plagued us.

All the game lodges we stayed at had newer deisel powered Land Rover 110's, and we personally experienced 2 break downs while we were there at two different places. Classic. And this was at a time when my 90 was in the shop getting fixed or upgraded about once a month.

Anyway, the first breakdown was a broken track rod out in the bush where we actually had to call another 110 to come pull up along side of us and we had to slowly step form one truck to the other one at a time so as to not distress the 2 male Lions that were laying in the grass not 15 feet away from us. I bet the lions had seen countless LR's breaking down in front of them over the years. It was a little unnerving, but made for a good story at dinner that night around the boma.

The second break down was several days and 100's of miles away at a different park. My wife and I and our driver Enoch (who spoke NO ENGLISH) were about to travel from Ndumo in the north bordering Mozambique a hundred + miles or so to the coastal area of Rock Tail Bay. We were supposed to take a "civilized" Land Rover, (a hard top 110 with A/C) but it broke down about 15 minutes into our journey. The problem that time from what I could gather was with the fuel. Our driver repeatedly called on the CB for help and we finally got it in the form of a dirty bush mechanic and a toyota pick up full of guys with AK 47's. Good times. Anyhoo, we got another 110 to drive us to Rock Tail, an open top, stadium seating, game viewing truck like the one's in Jorge's pics above. A truck that was never made to travel great distances at great speeds. It was the single most horrible, amazing, scary, beautiful, hot, exhilarating, wonderful, breath taking, awe inspiring, humbling experiences/drives of our lives. We spent HOURS in that fucking truck going down dirt roads, no roads, through yards, on highways, through deep sand, mud, jungles and forests to get to our destination. We might have seen 2 other vehicles on the hard road the entire time we made that drive. It was amazing. But boy, did we hate Land Rovers that day.

South Africa is a MUST for anyone with a pulse. Whether you like Land Rovers or not, it's an amazing country and the people are beautiful and gracious. We're going back just as soon as we think our kids will be able to endure the 21 hour flight without having a melt down. Here are some pics for those who want to see them. (check out the pics of the lions from when we were broken down)

Also...if anyone is considering a trip to S.A., I have the name and number of the guy who helped us book our trip. He is here in the states and did an AMAZING job. He took care of EVERYTHING including air fare to and from S.A. all the flights we took in S.A., drivers, guides, accomodations, hotels, taxi's, etc. It was the best experience ever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65507930305_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	8766   Click image for larger version

Name:	45507930305_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	8767  

Name:	63527930305_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	8768   Click image for larger version

Name:	86607930305_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	8769  

Name:	55467930305_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	8770   Click image for larger version

Name:	52507930305_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	8771  

Name:	45527930305_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	8772   Click image for larger version

Name:	14857930305_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	8773  

Old March 24th, 2007, 09:14 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverboy
My wife and I went to South Africa 4 years ago this month on our honeymoon. We stayed at 3 different game parks, Mala Mala, Ndumo and Rocktail Bay as well as Joburg, Durban and Cape Town. Defenders were everywhere, and broken down defenders plagued us.

All the game lodges we stayed at had newer deisel powered Land Rover 110's, and we personally experienced 2 break downs while we were there at two different places. Classic. And this was at a time when my 90 was in the shop getting fixed or upgraded about once a month.

Anyway, the first breakdown was a broken track rod out in the bush where we actually had to call another 110 to come pull up along side of us and we had to slowly step form one truck to the other one at a time so as to not distress the 2 male Lions that were laying in the grass not 15 feet away from us. I bet the lions had seen countless LR's breaking down in front of them over the years. It was a little unnerving, but made for a good story at dinner that night around the boma.

The second break down was several days and 100's of miles away at a different park. My wife and I and our driver Enoch (who spoke NO ENGLISH) were about to travel from Ndumo in the north bordering Mozambique a hundred + miles or so to the coastal area of Rock Tail Bay. We were supposed to take a "civilized" Land Rover, (a hard top 110 with A/C) but it broke down about 15 minutes into our journey. The problem that time from what I could gather was with the fuel. Our driver repeatedly called on the CB for help and we finally got it in the form of a dirty bush mechanic and a toyota pick up full of guys with AK 47's. Good times. Anyhoo, we got another 110 to drive us to Rock Tail, an open top, stadium seating, game viewing truck like the one's in Jorge's pics above. A truck that was never made to travel great distances at great speeds. It was the single most horrible, amazing, scary, beautiful, hot, exhilarating, wonderful, breath taking, awe inspiring, humbling experiences/drives of our lives. We spent HOURS in that fucking truck going down dirt roads, no roads, through yards, on highways, through deep sand, mud, jungles and forests to get to our destination. We might have seen 2 other vehicles on the hard road the entire time we made that drive. It was amazing. But boy, did we hate Land Rovers that day.

South Africa is a MUST for anyone with a pulse. Whether you like Land Rovers or not, it's an amazing country and the people are beautiful and gracious. We're going back just as soon as we think our kids will be able to endure the 21 hour flight without having a melt down. Here are some pics for those who want to see them. (check out the pics of the lions from when we were broken down)

Also...if anyone is considering a trip to S.A., I have the name and number of the guy who helped us book our trip. He is here in the states and did an AMAZING job. He took care of EVERYTHING including air fare to and from S.A. all the flights we took in S.A., drivers, guides, accomodations, hotels, taxi's, etc. It was the best experience ever.
very cool!
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA

Registry
My next D-90 Group buy bolt on upgrade , comes with it's own bolt action.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo Library - 0030.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	8828  
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You're on your own to organize that one!
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:56 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Actually you see a lot more Toyotas there. Many of the tourist oriented game viewing operations use Landies for the looks and expectation of seeing them. The hunting outfits use toyotas.
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
You got me all excited!! I am meeting with my guy tomorrow to talk about our Africa trip in the summer of 08.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat