Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Hartshorne Park, Middletown NJ

Saw what i think was Don's truck at Hartshorne Park while taking the dog, my girlfriend, and my buddies dog for a hike/walk (my friend was too hung over to make it out with us so I kidnapped his dog for an hour or so).

Also saw another defender parked at a house just up the road.

Also pic of girlfriend driving home and my dog doing what dogs do.....head out the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	42792   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	42793  

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	42794  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
1994 D90

That blue truck is the one I sighted a few months ago when I hit up that dirt road off of navasink. Had a guy right behind me so I couldnt stop and knock on the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Saw what i think was Don's truck at Hartshorne Park while taking the dog, my girlfriend, and my buddies dog for a hike/walk (my friend was too hung over to make it out with us so I kidnapped his dog for an hour or so).

Also saw another defender parked at a house just up the road.

Also pic of girlfriend driving home and my dog doing what dogs do.....head out the window.
I see that truck has a yakima bike rack. New style. I want to know how he got it to fit. From what I was told none of those through tire racks work.
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I think the owner is on this board, username - DON He should be able to let you know
Old October 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Cool thanks
Old October 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I see that truck has a yakima bike rack. New style. I want to know how he got it to fit. From what I was told none of those through tire racks work.
Just sent a PM back to ya. For anyone else none of the production spare tire racks work well from what I've seen. I heard the same thing about the Yakima and just bought it. I figured I would need to mod it like my Thule one. I ended up just cutting some plate steel and it resides behind the Yakima plate and I added some bolts to hold the 2 plates together even better.

My master plan is to just build a bike rack from scatch and I am thinking of using a reciever hitch welded to plate that way you can bolt the bike rack or hi-lift holder or whatever right to the receiver so it's diesel. But I'm still a far ways off on that. Hoping this winter I can start farting around with it.

Adrian - saw your rig in the lot yesterday. That thing looks great - all black with the Turbo sticker on the rear. It stands out but with the color it's not showy. I thought you might be there for the Trail Mantanience but you weren't in the group. I keep out of Hartshorne for the most part but the trails are so shitty and torn-up there that when they are working on them I want to help out. Too bad you didn't see my 90 with the wheelbarrow, rakes and shovels hanging out the back. Do you just hike there? If you ride bikes, let me know - I'd be down for a XC trail ride.
Old October 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Don

Take some pics of the plate. I tried to pm you but your box is full
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM
keiphers
Keith
1997 D90 ST #647

Registry
Spotted a red 90 with a winch bumper (didn't get a good look) in Newport, RI yesterday - I was in the BRG 90 with a roof rack and ARB bumper.
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiphers
Spotted a red 90 with a winch bumper (didn't get a good look) in Newport, RI yesterday - I was in the BRG 90 with a roof rack and ARB bumper.
Do you live there? I've seen a BRG one there, a white one, and a blue SW. If it was a Monza SW, he's on the board.
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:53 PM
keiphers
Keith
1997 D90 ST #647

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Do you live there? I've seen a BRG one there, a white one, and a blue SW. If it was a Monza SW, he's on the board.
I don't live there - I bought Copley's '97 with 15k miles yesterday then drove to Newport.
Old October 16th, 2011, 07:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiphers
I don't live there - I bought Copley's '97 with 15k miles yesterday then drove to Newport.
Ah, ok I'm on the forum app so it doesn't show the location. I'm up in Newport every few months. Good to hear, congrats! Welcome.
Old October 16th, 2011, 07:58 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Adrian - saw your rig in the lot yesterday. That thing looks great - all black with the Turbo sticker on the rear. It stands out but with the color it's not showy. I thought you might be there for the Trail Mantanience but you weren't in the group. I keep out of Hartshorne for the most part but the trails are so shitty and torn-up there that when they are working on them I want to help out. Too bad you didn't see my 90 with the wheelbarrow, rakes and shovels hanging out the back. Do you just hike there? If you ride bikes, let me know - I'd be down for a XC trail ride.

Thanks man! You truck looks great as well. I go there all the time with the dog (2-3 times a week easy), not much a of trail or hiking for that matter, but an hour of walking (or running if I'm feeling ambitous) around with the dog off the leash running around like a maniac gets him some excersise and keeps him from being up my ass all day looking to do something lol....Now that I can bring him to the beach I go to sea bright sometimes instead. I didn't know about the maintenence until we got there, otherwise I'd have been glad to lend a hand. Keep me posted on the next time they need some help.

I used to mountain bike a bunch when I lived in NY, but when I moved I gave my bike to my brother in law and haven't bothered to get it back. Maybe I'll bug him for it and we can hit some trails.

On a side note I'm thinking about organizing a little wheelin in Forked RIver this week/weekend, if you can get out for a bit...
Old October 17th, 2011, 03:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

All yellow SW NAS truck with roofrack and delaware plates at KOP mall. I have seen you before. I was in the red D90 parked a few spots down.
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:16 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
1994 D90

Just to let everyone know, keep an eye out for a red 90 soft top with a spare on the hood in the white marsh MD area. That will be my father driving around.
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Spotted yellow NAS 90 st driving down skippack pike in fort Washington, anybody here?
Old October 17th, 2011, 08:08 PM
LtFuzz
Felix
'95 6.2L DI, '04 DII

Two Defenders on Fort Huachuca, AZ -- a 90 and a nicely built 110.

I see both of you parked near Nicholson Hall every day...
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Don

Take some pics of the plate. I tried to pm you but your box is full
i'd like to see this too ... I think quite a few people would like to mount a bike rack ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Thanks man! You truck looks great as well. I go there all the time with the dog (2-3 times a week easy), not much a of trail or hiking for that matter, but an hour of walking (or running if I'm feeling ambitous) around with the dog off the leash running around like a maniac gets him some excersise and keeps him from being up my ass all day looking to do something lol....Now that I can bring him to the beach I go to sea bright sometimes instead. I didn't know about the maintenence until we got there, otherwise I'd have been glad to lend a hand. Keep me posted on the next time they need some help.

I used to mountain bike a bunch when I lived in NY, but when I moved I gave my bike to my brother in law and haven't bothered to get it back. Maybe I'll bug him for it and we can hit some trails.

On a side note I'm thinking about organizing a little wheelin in Forked RIver this week/weekend, if you can get out for a bit...
Thanks Adrian - would love to hit up Forked River but this month is stacked with kids soccer and it's prime mtn bike riding conditions. I'm trying to gear up for RotR's. Organizing the garage this week and hopefully next week tearing into an axle project (finally got the axle built up).

Let me know if you get a bike and want to go out. It's a good "cross-training" for 4wheeling - makes you look for the proper lines :D

------ Follow up post added October 20th, 2011 09:25 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
i'd like to see this too ... I think quite a few people would like to mount a bike rack ...
I'll try to get a pic today - yesterday was pouring rain - I've got a bunch of pics to upload too.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

It's cool to hear about all the Ds in the Newport, RI area. I expect to be taking my two there next spring/summer when I transfer.

As for the bike rack queries, I made a square tubing adapter several years ago for my Thule "Spare Me" through-spare rack, and it's held up flawlessly. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the truck for photos of the bracket (as I'm in the desert right now), but maybe I can describe it. The photo attached is from one of my old posts I just found here.

All it required was some 1" square tube and 1.25" square tube, along a longer piece of threaded stock and two nuts to replace the retainer thing. The two pieces of tubing are welded together smaller inside of larger and it has an almost perfect slip fit). The larger part then slips over the Thule's mounting plate (that goes through the spare) and the smaller part then fits into the rack just as the mounting plate originally did.

Replacng the threaded part on the retainer bolt (the part that has the locking plastic hand wheel) with a longer section of threaded stock with the same thread and two nuts allows for use. You can pretty much make the adapter and retainer bolt length as long as required (or as long as you dare to mount).

I've had mine mounted through tires as large as a 35x12.5 without issue for almost four years. It does require that the mounting base plate either be over two of three carrier studs or you need to redrill for the big 5x6.5 stud pattern. If only offset to two studs, it will fit on wheels with a large center bore/hole (i.e.steelies, etc), but will not line up with stock alloys, etc with a small center cap hole. To use it with those, you'd need to make adjustments to the mounting bracket.

Sorry for the long post. A photo (if available) would have eliminated most of this. I'll post someting when I get home in a few months.
Murph
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0575w.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	672.7 KB
ID:	42912  

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:27 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Chris - I like how that Thule Spare-Me looks with the black paint. The Yakima one is nice but I think I liked the Thule one a bit better. Might have held my bikes in a better position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, sighting, sightings