Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 20th, 2016, 11:13 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
It's the fuzz, literally. DHS has 4 of them or so I am told. I have seen two in the Boston - NH - Maine area.

So.... what is the basis for knowing that this is a vehicle owned by the DHS?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2016, 12:54 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post

none, probably. Just delicious rumors. Even if they were, who cares? If you think Defenders are bad, how about Harris Falcon IIIs, encrypted VHF comms, RF jammers, and all sorts of other toys we can't legally have as citizens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2016, 01:14 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Do you remember which dealership 'stole' the Camel Trophy Disco from LRNA? From what I remember it was left at a dealership for a while and when LRNA came to get it the dealer had moved it off site. I heard this many years ago while at training for LR. I seem to remember it being a dealership in NC.
Jimmy, yes that was our dealer group, though we didn't really steal it per se (though, all of the Camel guys with LR like to joke that we did ). The Camel Disco in question was the one driven my Jim Swett and Daphne Greene during the 1995 Mundo Maya event.

It was left with our dealer group and we were given permission by LRNA to use it. We would occasionally move it back and forth between the Greenville and Asheville Centres to keep her charged-up and in running order. But, it ended up being left with us for awhile and no-one from LRNA ever came to pick it back up. Far be it from us to complain about it. At any rate, it turned out that LRNA had completely forgotten that that we even had it! It wasn't until some of the driving instructors came back down some time later for training that they re-discovered that we had it at the dealership.

To clarify though, we also had our own Camel Trophy Discovery. The one that Kevin took a picture of is the one that Dr. Frasher owns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:39 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
none, probably. Just delicious rumors. Even if they were, who cares? If you think Defenders are bad, how about Harris Falcon IIIs, encrypted VHF comms, RF jammers, and all sorts of other toys we can't legally have as citizens?
If they buy them through a govt procurement program for some particular reason, no problem at all. Jealous, but no problem. However, if DHS is using them as transport because, "Hey, free truck!" Or even because someone thought they would be moe cool to have than a standard Ford F-150 when they happened to see one in the impound lot, then I have issues.

Also, it has no Fed plates or other ID that I can see....

1965 IIa SWB
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:51 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
If they buy them through a govt procurement program for some particular reason, no problem at all. Jealous, but no problem. However, if DHS is using them as transport because, "Hey, free truck!" Or even because someone thought they would be moe cool to have than a standard Ford F-150 when they happened to see one in the impound lot, then I have issues.

Also, it has no Fed plates or other ID that I can see....
Not sure how DHS does it, but many agencies run stock plates to help blend while working. Nothing about that truck helps it blend though!
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:01 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
Would be nice to know. WillH?
Well........I must admit that I've actually known about these particular DHS owned 110's for little while now. They've been spotted out-and-about by various members of the forum up in the northeast who were kind enough to bring them to my attention. I wish that I could tell you more about them, but I really couldn't say at this point, other than to share that there is regulation on the books that allows the federal government to grant itself exemptions from otherwise applicable regulations, if the purpose in doing so is deemed to be in the interest of national defense.

Kind of makes you wish there was a "national defense" exception that us ordinary citizens could take advantage of, but I digress...........

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:02 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW #2-300Tdi #3-'12 LR4

Registry
Quote:
Cause it said so on the interwebs?

Thanks for the reply, Sir Will.

It would indeed be interesting to see if the exemptions were all properly accounted for. 1207/1208 funding streams, NDAA authorities, and OCO funds all have strict guidelines.

One wonders how monies went from a DHS procurement line to TATA Motors.

More likely, somebody in the hierarchy just thought they were cool.

Somebody get a phone pic of a VIN...
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:23 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGH View Post
Somebody get a phone pic of a VIN...
This is gonna be fun!
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:43 AM
KGH
Real Name

Registry
Vehicles of the following types: 125 dual cab pickups and 125 sport utility vehicles. This procurement will be accomplished using limited competition procedures IAW FAR 6.302-2, Unusual and Compelling Urgency and therefore responses to this notice and Government market research will be used to limit competition. Vendors responding to this notice and who are determined to be responsible IAW FAR 9.104-1 increase their chances of receiving an RFP and being able to compete.
SALIENT CHARACTERISTICS OF THE VEHICLES AND DELIVERY REQUIREMENTS:
Vehicles will be the latest model vehicles typically found in central Asia (e.g., Toyota Hilux, Toyota Prado, Mitsubishi Pajero, and Land Rover Defender); armored against ballistic threats (specifications will be defined in the RFP); 4x4 wheel drive with heavy duty brakes and suspension to accommodate increased curb weight; full skid plates and running boards; diesel engine; left hand steering; additional modifications will also be included in the RFP; delivery of all vehicles to be complete within 90-120 days after contract award.
Interested vendors shall have the capability to import/export all vehicles.
Interested vendors will need to provide the following information to determine if:
(a) has adequate financial resources to perform the contract, or the ability to obtain them (see 9.104-3(a)).
(b) is able to comply with the required or proposed delivery or performance schedule, taking into consideration all existing commercial and governmental business commitments.
(c) has a satisfactory performance record (see 9.104-3(b) and Subpart 42.15).
(d) has a satisfactory record of integrity and business ethics (for example, see Subpart 42.15);
(e) has the necessary organization, experience, accounting and operational controls, and technical skills, or the ability to obtain them (including, as appropriate, such elements as production control procedures, property control systems, quality assurance measures, and safety programs applicable to materials to be produced or services to be performed by the prospective contractor and subcontractors). (See 9.104-3 (a).)
(f) has the necessary production capacity, construction, and technical equipment and facilities, or the ability to obtain them (see 9.104-3(a)); and
(g) is otherwise qualified and eligible to receive an award under applicable laws and regulations (see also inverted domestic corporation prohibition at FAR 9.108).
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:12 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Why this type of vehicle for the DHS? I mean, vehicles that get noticed here.

There are other agencies who would want to get these for their own purposes, but why the DHS, especially in country?

Anyone see any sign that these are armored?

This is the type of business Rovers North does, and the Feds actually have a lot of Rovers we'd be jealous of already. I just can't figure what the purpose is for having these in country, out on the streets. Know what I mean?

1965 IIa SWB
Old May 21st, 2016, 05:47 AM
KGH
Real Name

Registry
That was just an example of a contract spec from 2011. Not saying that the vehicle pictured above is from this spec. And it is not uparmored from what I can see.
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:05 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGH View Post
That was just an example of a contract spec from 2011. Not saying that the vehicle pictured above is from this spec. And it is not uparmored from what I can see.
So, basically, this is all speculation on your part. These trucks aren't owned by DHS at all, correct? You don't know who owns them, correct?

I feel like I'm reading the tinfoil hat diaries.

Should I say that they are owned by Obama? Would that make them more illicit and inflammatory?

Will, are these actually owned by DHS manifold, or are they owned by another agency under DHS? The DHS is huge, and there are any number of agencies within DHS that could easily legally import these for use.
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:44 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
They are already owned by all of us! Team America!
Someone at DHS must be a lurker here.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 21st, 2016, 09:15 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
Well........Kind of makes you wish there was a "national defense" exception that us ordinary citizens could take advantage of, but I digress...........
How about a change in the second amendment to the right to drive Land Rovers?
Old May 21st, 2016, 12:30 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
Camel Trophy (clone?) D1 spotted at Greenville Maserati dealer. Seems to have replaced the G4 DII that was there previously, my first time seeing it
I'm fairly certain that LR Asheville and Greenville Maserati are owned by the same people.
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:41 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

In Vista, Ca
I have an almost identical 110 in Oceanside. Let's cruise the 101!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	149964  
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:52 PM
KGH
Real Name

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
So, basically, this is all speculation on your part. These trucks aren't owned by DHS at all, correct? You don't know who owns them, correct?

I feel like I'm reading the tinfoil hat diaries.

Should I say that they are owned by Obama? Would that make them more illicit and inflammatory?

Will, are these actually owned by DHS manifold, or are they owned by another agency under DHS? The DHS is huge, and there are any number of agencies within DHS that could easily legally import these for use.
This will be my last comment re:DHS, as this is a Sightings thread. Thanks for your input. Someone stated the DHS has these. Then it was confirmed. That is all. Fully familiar with DHS operational and support components, and the authorities and budget.....just wish they would stick to Suburbans and 15pax vans.
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:14 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Just saw a keswick puma, black svx wheels, rack, soft a bar and dealer plates on Wilshire Blvd. Couldn't get phone to take pic.
Old May 24th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Raddy
David
1997 D90 ST BELUGA BLACK

WAHOOWA

Old May 24th, 2016, 01:37 PM
waveslayer
Bryan Hadley
1991/D110

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement