Defender Sightings - Page 364 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #7261  
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:24 AM
D90Overkill's Avatar
D90Overkill
Status: Offline
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napa, CA. United States
Posts: 3,993
Registry
Chopper sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
That's Magnum PI's...see the 500D in the rear window!

You'll love this Mr. Larson. You're right, T.C. did fly a hughes 500d on Magnum P.I., but the pointed nose on the sticker denotes the newer MD500, code named for the military as "Defender!" :-)


C/O Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD_Helicopters_MD_500


The improved Hughes 500D became the primary model in 1976, with a more powerful engine, a T-tail, and new five-blade main rotor; a four-blade tail rotor was optional.[2] The 500D was replaced by the 500E from 1982 with a pointed nose and various interior improvements, such as greater head and leg room. The 530F was a more powerful version of the 500E optimized for hot and high work.
McDonnell Douglas acquired Hughes Helicopters in January 1984, and from August 1985 the 500E and 530F were built as the MD 500E and MD 530F Lifter.[2] Following the 1997 Boeing-McDonnell Douglas merger, Boeing sold the former MD civil helicopter lines to MD Helicopters in early 1999. Military variants are marketed under the MD 500 Defender name.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #7262  
Old February 8th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
You'll love this Mr. Larson. You're right, T.C. did fly a hughes 500d on Magnum P.I., but the pointed nose on the sticker denotes the newer MD500, code named for the military as "Defender!" :-)


C/O Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD_Helicopters_MD_500


The improved Hughes 500D became the primary model in 1976, with a more powerful engine, a T-tail, and new five-blade main rotor; a four-blade tail rotor was optional.[2] The 500D was replaced by the 500E from 1982 with a pointed nose and various interior improvements, such as greater head and leg room. The 530F was a more powerful version of the 500E optimized for hot and high work.
McDonnell Douglas acquired Hughes Helicopters in January 1984, and from August 1985 the 500E and 530F were built as the MD 500E and MD 530F Lifter.[2] Following the 1997 Boeing-McDonnell Douglas merger, Boeing sold the former MD civil helicopter lines to MD Helicopters in early 1999. Military variants are marketed under the MD 500 Defender name.

Very nice! I've wanted to start down the path of a pilots license and when I lived in Va. came the closest. Recently researched it all here and 10K to 15K you're up and out on your own....yeah expensive for a hobby (like LR)...going to think on that some more. Maybe they offer winter discounts for the 2015 season!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #7263  
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM
WeBeCinYa's Avatar
WeBeCinYa
Status: Offline
Matt
94 ST #84
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 1,883
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
1994 red NAS D90 in an Allegra add on tv.
Just saw the commercial, nice spot for D90.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2521505322.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	89316
__________________
1994 Defender 90
1995 Range Rover Classic
2006 LR3 SE
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #7264  
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:23 AM
D90Overkill's Avatar
D90Overkill
Status: Offline
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napa, CA. United States
Posts: 3,993
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post

Just saw the commercial, nice spot for D90.
I caught that same add during the last Leno show! A nice spot indeed for a Defender! I was so surprised that I never saw the taillights so I couldn't figure the year. Nice shape Monza. I wonder who earned the $1000 daily rate for the shoot! ;-) Anyone on here maybe?

------ Follow up post added February 8th, 2014 11:28 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post

Very nice! I've wanted to start down the path of a pilots license and when I lived in Va. came the closest. Recently researched it all here and 10K to 15K you're up and out on your own....yeah expensive for a hobby (like LR)...going to think on that some more. Maybe they offer winter discounts for the 2015 season!
That would be nice! So they don't make you go fixed wing first anymore? That would certainly save a significant amount of time and money! Good luck if you go for it! Check your operating loads before you fly off to pick up large defender parts! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #7265  
Old February 9th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Macker's Avatar
Macker
Status: Offline
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS Rebuild Project
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Carmel, CA
Posts: 604
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
I caught that same add during the last Leno show! A nice spot indeed for a Defender! I was so surprised that I never saw the taillights so I couldn't figure the year. Nice shape Monza.
You can also tell by the front marker lights/turn signals, and the front bumper with turn signals that it's a '94... which would mean it would be Portofino red. Nice truck though!
Reply With Quote
  #7266  
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Howski's Avatar
Howski
Status: Offline
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 657
Registry
There's a shot where you can see the rear tail lights and its indeed a 94'
__________________
My other car's a Land Rover
Reply With Quote
  #7267  
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:13 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,650
Registry
Just saw a grey 110 driving up 6th Ave downtown with a for sale sign in the window. Engine sounded rough. Maybe exhaust leak.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #7268  
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:15 AM
rd10014's Avatar
rd10014
Status: Offline
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 878
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Just saw a grey 110 driving up 6th Ave downtown with a for sale sign in the window. Engine sounded rough. Maybe exhaust leak.
or borla, pics?
Reply With Quote
  #7269  
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:06 PM
JQ11's Avatar
JQ11
Status: Offline
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 365
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Just saw a grey 110 driving up 6th Ave downtown with a for sale sign in the window. Engine sounded rough. Maybe exhaust leak.
My girlfriend spotted the same one I believe last week - hadn't yet posted it but here's the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1313625568.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	89365  
Reply With Quote
  #7270  
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:46 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,650
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ11 View Post
My girlfriend spotted the same one I believe last week - hadn't yet posted it but here's the pic
That's the one! Good to see what the rims loom like because I had no idea. Looks like it's LHD.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #7271  
Old February 9th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Ben01
Status: Offline
Ben
Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,093
yes lhd, it was parked on west broadway near prince all last weekend. I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet.
Reply With Quote
  #7272  
Old February 9th, 2014, 04:34 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,650
Registry
Did you take pics? Shoot me the info.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #7273  
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Ray Bone's Avatar
Ray Bone
Status: Offline
Ray Bone
defender.
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 244
Saw a orange90 with black roof,outside battery tunnel last week. Sorry no pic.
Reply With Quote
  #7274  
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Ben01
Status: Offline
Ben
Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,093
Josh, didn't take a picture, not that interesting a truck!
Reply With Quote
  #7275  
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:48 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,650
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
Josh, didn't take a picture, not that interesting a truck!
Oh OK when you said you were surprised it hadn't sold yet I thought you were saying it was priced low and you had the info.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #7276  
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Ben01
Status: Offline
Ben
Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,093
a lot of people were looking at it and it is very clean on the outside, the price could be astronomical and/or it could have mechanical issues...no clue.
Reply With Quote
  #7277  
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:21 PM
giftshopduane
Status: Offline
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Shirley MA
Posts: 322
Saw a Bonati Grey 110 (or similar color) in Waltham MA yesterday, then....not 1 mile down the road I came across a 2 dr 110, cammo, Soft top..then.... a few minutes later an early G wagon (brick red with black soft top) whats going on in Waltham? I just wish I was in my 88 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #7278  
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:49 PM
Daniel1's Avatar
Daniel1
Status: Offline
Daniel
97 NAS D90 Arles / 84 D110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northeast
Posts: 242
NAS 110 left outside as advertisement for a Rover shop. Completely rotted away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140209_234359.png
Views:	269
Size:	614.3 KB
ID:	89413
Reply With Quote
  #7279  
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:01 AM
couga861900's Avatar
couga861900
Status: Offline
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: East
Posts: 851
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bone View Post
Saw a orange90 with black roof,outside battery tunnel last week. Sorry no pic.
The owner lives in my neighbourhood. I spoke to him 3 days ago. His name is Anthony. He's not a board member but seems interested in joining. I'll keep working on him. He'll be one sooner or later.
Reply With Quote
  #7280  
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Online
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies
Posts: 7,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by giftshopduane View Post
Saw a Bonati Grey 110 (or similar color) in Waltham MA yesterday, then....not 1 mile down the road I came across a 2 dr 110, cammo, Soft top..then.... a few minutes later an early G wagon (brick red with black soft top) whats going on in Waltham? I just wish I was in my 88 at the time.
Get to see lots of funky stuff around Waltham esp 128. Too many tech companies and Doctors!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, sighting, sightings

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats in my container??????? SafariHP The Vendors Loft 30 November 26th, 2015 07:31 AM
Slickrock Defender 90 Sliders dave_lucas The Vendors Loft 15 November 28th, 2010 04:45 PM
Road Trip Report, Defender Sightings chris snell Misc. Chit-Chat 5 December 28th, 2005 03:03 PM
94 NAS Defender 90-P.O.E.(Port of Entry) 1 of 65 made! on EBAY SeanD-90 Misc. Chit-Chat 24 February 16th, 2005 04:21 AM
Defender sightings around Burbank, who are you? kellymoe Misc. Chit-Chat 4 April 3rd, 2004 02:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Copyright