Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
ebony1
Josh Kirkham
D-90 '97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
That was probably me! nice to meet you Josh. If you want to go get a beer let me know. I can take you for a spin in the truck so you can see how they are. I know this sounds very strange but I am almost 100% positive the Defender is the best vehicle for the city.... and off road

-Short wheelbase so finding parking is easy.

-Very tall so you can see the traffic pattern 10 cars ahead of you (i swerve through traffic better than any car because i can tell which lane is going to get clogged up which idiot is turning in the wrong lane).

-large windows so you can see everything that is going on.

-Potholes are a joke. You can blast right through them.

-Rack helps when the women want you to bring a dresser home from the city.

I am going upstate this weekend to put the soft top on, but i should be free next week if you want to check out the truck.

Daniel
daniel . marcello @ gmail . com
Hey Daniel,

I'm new to the site but I think I saw you last saturday in your D-90 on Prince Street during the massive rain storm. I was driving a blue D-90 with a rack and you were parking and I was stopped at a red light in front of you. I was going to jump out and say hi but the rain for was forbidding.

I live downtown and have had my 90 in the city since early '08. Would be great to meet at some point and discuss D-90s in the city.

One quick question, any suggestions of a good local mechanic shop? I have been frequenting a not to be named shop and have been less than thrilled. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:51 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebony1 View Post
Hey Daniel,

I'm new to the site but I think I saw you last saturday in your D-90 on Prince Street during the massive rain storm. I was driving a blue D-90 with a rack and you were parking and I was stopped at a red light in front of you. I was going to jump out and say hi but the rain for was forbidding.

I live downtown and have had my 90 in the city since early '08. Would be great to meet at some point and discuss D-90s in the city.

One quick question, any suggestions of a good local mechanic shop? I have been frequenting a not to be named shop and have been less than thrilled. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers
Hi Josh
Check out the Hitting the trail or event section - "NYC meetup". No date or location has been set but pretty sure it will happen soon enough
I'm sure there will be many suggestions for places in the NYC area to get work done. There is also a thread called "The [Un]Official Where to Get Your Rover Fixed Thread" where you might find a couple good leads for alternatives.

Welcome to the forum! Maybe I'll catch you in Manhattan one of these days too.

Post picts of your defender if you can. Your sig says you have a 97 Soft top but you mentioned your rig is blue. Arles blue soft tops were only available in 94. Would love to see yours if you modded an Arles blue hardtop.

Gery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Hey Daniel,

Cheers
We are trying to arrange a Defender meetup in TriBeCa one evening ... unlike the West coast owners we seem to have more trouble actually setting a date and time ... perhaps we need a social secretary!

A topic of discussion over beer could be 'where to get your truck fixed without being violated!'
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Was in NY 2 weeks ago, anyone here have the Defender with the roof rack parked in the back on the garage on W. 3rd and Mcdougal?
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

Quote:
Hey Daniel,

Cheers
Yup that was me! I flashed you with my high beams... and I was about to run over and say hi but it was raining hard. Probably the craziest rain storm i have seen in NY. We are having a get together soon next week. leastonce is setting it up.

I do have mechanic recommendations for you. As of now, DO NOT go to Ricardo at Foreign Car Center. I took my truck to him twice for small things that I could not get to during the week. But the last time i took the truck to him I needed cats welded in and he ended up charging me for an oil change, radiator cleaning and new thermostat. Well this pissed me off royally because he know i work on the truck myself and I just did a new thermostat and oil change the weekend before! basically wasted all my Mobil 1 I just put in and probably put some crap oil in. I let him have it. So without killing this thread, I would say steer clear of Foreign Car Center in Queens.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Who has the blue D90 SW with roof rack, NY plates and VT sticker downtown?
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Not Horsey
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:

Yeah, we still don't know that one yet.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...6&postcount=57
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Quote:
But the last time i took the truck to him I needed cats welded in and he ended up charging me for an oil change, radiator cleaning and new thermostat. .
Why did you pay for an oil change, radiator cleaning and new thermostat? Your instruction was cleary to weld your cats.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c View Post
Why did you pay for an oil change, radiator cleaning and new thermostat? Your instruction was cleary to weld your cats.
He charged... I didn't pay, except for the cats welding. Not only that but the thermostat he changed out for was faulty and didn't open.

It's funny because he can probably get away with this with other Land Rover owners in the city that don't work on their trucks, but when you see a modified truck come to you and you didn't do any of the mods, you would think the owner may have somewhat of an idea on how to work/build/fix his truck. But maybe not.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:42 AM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

Jason does your SW have a foreign car center license plate frame? Was driving behind a white one in my BRG ST on Chrystie Street last summer.
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:42 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Indeed it does!!!

!!! I've been spotted by someone other than Josh! ;-) !!!

Given the current feedback regarding the foreign car center, perhaps I'll remove this at the weekend!

Dan - I guess the Citi field exhaust didn't last? or was it another issue?
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
1994 D90

Talking

Coming back from the rover dealership driving my S3 SW with my father (after 8ish) i passed in the opposite direction an older red haired lady driving a green w/white top 90 and rust showing on the rear cross member on Grant Ave. (between 36 and Wyckoff Rd.) eatontown nj. It was the last thing i would think of seeing on that stretch of road. She looked just as shocked as i was, which was pretty cool. Dont know if she was part of the production crew or not that is filming in my neighborhood or not.
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM
ebony1
Josh Kirkham
D-90 '97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
Hi Josh
Check out the Hitting the trail or event section - "NYC meetup". No date or location has been set but pretty sure it will happen soon enough
I'm sure there will be many suggestions for places in the NYC area to get work done. There is also a thread called "The [Un]Official Where to Get Your Rover Fixed Thread" where you might find a couple good leads for alternatives.

Welcome to the forum! Maybe I'll catch you in Manhattan one of these days too.

Post picts of your defender if you can. Your sig says you have a 97 Soft top but you mentioned your rig is blue. Arles blue soft tops were only available in 94. Would love to see yours if you modded an Arles blue hardtop.

Gery
Gery, thanks for the helpful reply. Updated my sig to accurately reflect that I have a Arles blue softop. Also added a pic.

I'll check-out the forums for suggestions on places to get work done in or near the city. I've never been ripped off more than on the work I've had done in the city. Very frustrating.

Look forward to meeting some fellow rover enthusiast at the next NYC event.

Cheers

------ Follow up post added March 24th, 2010 09:16 PM ------

Quote:
We are trying to arrange a Defender meetup in TriBeCa one evening ... unlike the West coast owners we seem to have more trouble actually setting a date and time ... perhaps we need a social secretary!

A topic of discussion over beer could be 'where to get your truck fixed without being violated!'
I welcome the discussion! In the next few months I need to have forward facing seats installed in the rear. I need it done right for safety at a reasonable cost!

Look forward to meeting.

------ Follow up post added March 24th, 2010 09:20 PM ------

Quote:
Yup that was me! I flashed you with my high beams... and I was about to run over and say hi but it was raining hard. Probably the craziest rain storm i have seen in NY. We are having a get together soon next week. leastonce is setting it up.

I do have mechanic recommendations for you. As of now, DO NOT go to Ricardo at Foreign Car Center. I took my truck to him twice for small things that I could not get to during the week. But the last time i took the truck to him I needed cats welded in and he ended up charging me for an oil change, radiator cleaning and new thermostat. Well this pissed me off royally because he know i work on the truck myself and I just did a new thermostat and oil change the weekend before! basically wasted all my Mobil 1 I just put in and probably put some crap oil in. I let him have it. So without killing this thread, I would say steer clear of Foreign Car Center in Queens.
Yeah, any other time I would have jumped out to say hello, but that storm was torrential. Btw, your 90 is a great looking ride.

Thanks for the heads up on Foreign and I welcome your suggestion. See you around the neighborhood.
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Good Morning America sighting! Green SW with a rack in DC area interview with School Chancellor. Only could see the rear left corner. Anyone?

I know, too much free time on my hands, I tore my Achilles!
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Eddd
Edward Cecchi
None

Anyone here drive the White D90 Station Wagon east on Desert Inn Las Vegas weekday mornings?

ed
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
sighting Westminster MD.

Red SW. At maggie. I'm not used to seeing Defenders in my neck of the woods Was it anyone here?
Are we going to be able to do a happy hour in MD. soon?
What do you think Gustavo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maggiesd90.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	27033  
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE

Registry
Michael,

I have seen that Defender couple of times now, but I was not driving mine when I saw it, so I felt weird to wave down.

I think it would be an awesome idea to have a MD HH, specially if we can make it within short distance
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Just saw this one in town (Barrington, IL.) Neat coincidence since I went and looked at one today (see thread in question forum about 'found' D90) Got a chance to show the kids what kind of toy/project/money suck-hole daddy's envisioning.

Anyone claim this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	27262  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
j0nny216
Jon Kleppel
1994 D90

Ed, I have a white 90 ST. Another Defender in Las Vegas? I only know of a yellow ST (with the after market hard top) the red one thats on here, and the one that burned...

Interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, sighting, sightings