Defender Scam - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 26th, 2006, 12:47 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Defender Scam

I was on eBay the other day and came across a 97 defender for $5,200 as a buy it now. But you had to get pre approved by the seller.
I know that it was to good to be true but I had to see what the scam was.

Here is his response of my request to be approved for the buy it now.

Hello ,

Thank you for your interest in my NEW SHORT BLOCK 4.0L V8. I want you to know I cannot accept financing because time is a real issue for me, this is why I am looking for a cash buyer.

The car will be shipped from*Berlin/Germany & i will cover shipping fees as my Godfather work for DHL air service , so all you have to pay for this car it's BUY IT NOW price ($5,200.00) . Will be shipped with DHL Air Service and you will receive it within 12 days tops.DHL will delivery the car at your door.

I'm selling this car in perfect working condition , no damage,no scratches or dents,no hidden defects, and it is as advertised. Is an US model with US specs and will be shipped with CLEAR US TITLE.

Reason for selling : We found out that we have to pay a large amount of money to regist the car here, because it is an US model (which complies with the US emission ) and Europe regulations are different from these ones , so it's more than hard for me to find a buyer here. I hate to sell it at this price but i REALY need this money , my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer,and is going thru treatments to help stop it.I am selling so i can put money away to pay for medical bills that are mounting.

If you are still interested please get back to me ASAP and i'll let you know terms of payment for this deal.

Thanks,
John Suchy

God Bless Your Family

I came across this scam before on an Eclipse. The troubling thing is he had over 200 pos replies on ebay.

Just thought I would share.

Oh I told him I was sorry to hear about his wife and I would be happy to forward a bank draft and to just give me an address.

:0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2006, 12:50 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Ahh.. I got an email from someone who I suspect saw that and was asking about bringing a vehicle into the states. Good thing you posted, I will forward this thread to them.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
That is unbelievable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

here is the response from the German seller

Since it's an over seas deal i will only end it using eBay purchase protection service. This service offer protection for me (seller) and for you(buyer) also... so in order to have this deal registered with eBay i need the following information from you

your eBay Id
full name
address
city/state
zipp
country
phone # & shipping address if it's different.

As soon as i have requested information i will start the registration with eBay and you will be contacted by they over email with all steps necesary in order to complete your part of this deal.

Thanks and looking forwoard to receive that info so we can move on.

And then an email from eBay

Dear

Our records indicate that you recently sent an email to or received an email from jbsuchy through the eBay email system (for example, you may have sent an email to this member through Ask Seller a Question or received an email from this member through Contact eBay Member).

Sometimes eBay accounts are used to send email solicitations for transactions outside of eBay, or to send unrelated questions in hopes that you will respond so that the other party can obtain your email address. We wanted you to be aware of the potential fraud risk these solicitations pose and encourage you to be cautious about the email you received from this member.

Please keep in mind, sales that take place outside of eBay are not eligible for any eBay or PayPal protective services and you run the risk of losing your money or your item if you complete these transactions. We would encourage you to review the eBay pages related to Fraud Protection at the address provided below for information on steps you can take to ensure that your transactions are successful:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-b...ion-steps.html

If you have already sent the item or sent payment for the item, please reply to this email and we will send you additional information about how to protect yourself.

Regards,

Trust & Safety Department

Seems like this guy may be a little fishy.

Im not sure if he wants my money or my personal information
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

This ad has all the hallmarks of a Nigerian scam e-mail. You have an unbeliveable deal brought about by personal tragedy, suspicious terms, an oddball relative, religious blessings, and horrible English. The only thing missing is an all capital letters format.
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I bumped into a couple pricey things with very low bids before. I gave a cheap bid to see what would happen, and a few got pulled by e-bay. I got a note one time saying something like 'the account appears to have been accessed and used by an unauthorized user.'

I think what is happening is people are scamming passwords from folks, then using somebody elses account to rip folks off.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

With your ebay ID and all that other info, they possibly could get into your account.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:17 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

This scam supports my personal belief that you shouldn't pay any money for eBay auctions that you aren't willing to lose. That's probably why I rarely spend over $25 on eBay.
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
A friend of mine who sells R/C cars and trucks on eBay and has over 300 positive feedback got an email from someone asking him about the John Deere tractor he was supposed to be selling on eBay. Needless to say, someone was able to hack into his account and used it to sell some fictitious auctions. It took him some great inconvenience but eBay eventually cleared him from it.

Scammers Suck!

Old January 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I bumped into a couple pricey things with very low bids before. I gave a cheap bid to see what would happen, and a few got pulled by e-bay. I got a note one time saying something like 'the account appears to have been accessed and used by an unauthorized user.'

I think what is happening is people are scamming passwords from folks, then using somebody elses account to rip folks off.

-Hans
i got an official looking email from paypal saying someone has been trying to access my acc.It gave me a link and an official looking pay pal page came up asking for pasword,credit card details ect.
A Quick Delete

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Change your password once a week if you are active. Also, log on & log off, don't do the remember me shit!
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:17 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel
This scam supports my personal belief that you shouldn't pay any money for eBay auctions that you aren't willing to lose. That's probably why I rarely spend over $25 on eBay.

Agreed, I rarely spend more than 20-30 dollars either....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat