Defender Returns to North America Merged Threadfest - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:18 PM
rover1
rover1

SEMA Defender 110 501/500

Check this out,
At the Ford booth at SEMA they have the Defender 11O, are they coming back into the US? The badge is 501/500, looks like Rover Accessories is involved. Anyone know if Land Rover is selling Defenders in the US again?
Here is a pic and it is a diesel….

Is Land Rover finally bringing back my dream vehicle? ………
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1smmsmdsc06657.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	82  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
probally not
Old November 5th, 2003, 01:38 AM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

If you do a quick search, you will see RA's "FlyFish" D110 model from last year's show, built from the ground up. No sign of it returning.

pwc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:26 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Don't get your hopes up.

But this fellow did a nice job on a write up about that particular rig.

http://www.tawayama.com/gear/defenderckd.html

And Here is the actual release (taken from our friends on POR):

LAS VEGAS, Nevada, November 4, 2003 – Land Rover North America is displaying the Land Rover Defender 110 CKD (Complete Knock Down) at the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) annual trade show. A natural fit for an event devoted to vehicle customization, the Defender 110 CKD is a fully assembled kit version of its most iconic vehicle.

“SEMA is the perfect platform to remind the world of our inherent capability in the utility vehicle segment, and Defender happens to be the most flexible and most heavily accessorized vehicle in the Land Rover lineup,” commented Communications Director Larry Rosinski, Land Rover North America. “SEMA also allows us to showcase that—in addition to being built in any way—Defender can also be built anywhere.”

Defender is specifically engineered for manufacturing flexibility. While the majority of global assembly occurs in Solihull, England, the balance takes place at in-market CKD factories. These six global facilities receive, unpack, and assemble the Solihull-sourced components. This approach allows Land Rover to reach markets that are not accessible to other brands, continuing its heritage of service and expedition.

Currently, sold in over 100 markets around the world, the Defender is available in three different wheelbases, 90, 110 and 130, as well as numerous body styles and interior configurations. While rugged and practical in appearance, today's Defender marries legendary capability with the amenities expected in a modern vehicle. "And with countless accessory choices," adds Rosinski, "Defender CKD continues the model's tradition of functionality to suit any purpose."

Defender 110 CKD Features include:

Exterior color – Chawton White
Interior trim - Black Leather
Leather steering wheel
Polished gear knobs
Brunel Switch Panel
Air Conditioning
Single in-dash CD player
Electric Front Windows
Full external/internal roll cage
Black Door Casings with Brunel Trim
Sunroof
Diamond Plate Floor Mats
Electronic Traction Control
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
16x7 Steel Wheels
Bridgestone Dueller MT 285/75/16 Tires
Rock Sliders
Front steering guard
Rear fuel tank guard
Winch integrated bumper
Raised Air Intake

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:37 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I think they should call it "complete knock off".

Traction control and ABS....no lockers. It's all for show baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:04 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
but damn if it dont look good
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Wonder where I can get one of those CKD kits? I have tried for years, but have not found anyone that could order me one. I figure that it gets you in the truck much cheaper than buying one and fixing up, or building one from used parts. And you get to make sure it is built right, quality wise. Plus, in NC I could legally register it as a kit car, and it be legal to drive.

Chris
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I get the cool kit idea but it looks totally normal to me. Like any other 110. I thought for SEMA they would do it up.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 5th, 2003, 02:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what you idea of "do it up"
Old November 5th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Well, the years that I have gone to sema it is basically one giant pissing contest. Who can build the most outlandish machines and so on. Even oem get into the action. To be honest, if it was normal SEMA that thing would have a full exo roll cage, 25 hellas, 38in tires, tv screens in the head rest, bright yellow paint, a pizza oven in the back, gold plated frame, a coy fish pond, and Dennis Leary riding shotgun.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 5th, 2003, 03:00 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by pcarey
If you do a quick search, you will see RA's "FlyFish" D110 model from last year's show, built from the ground up. No sign of it returning.

pwc
There are a few pictures of the RA truck here in the Misc picture section too.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 5th, 2003, 03:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I see. Subpar vehicles might need all the accesories. IMHO 90's/110's dont need anything, they already have it all.
Old November 5th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Except for crapo running gear. And crapo front suspension design. But yes, they are better than most.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 5th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

I think they did a good job on the truck, looks clean. When I look at photos of most of the crap that is at SEMA, I about die laughing. What is the point of all the BS that everyone is putting on the trucks? 99.9% of that stuff is put on vehicles that will never be used for the intended purpose.

By the way, where can I get a CKD kit? Just incase anybody missed my earlier post.

Chris
Old November 5th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Rumor has it Rover only sells complete kits by the dozen. Thats 12 for all the bakers out there.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 5th, 2003, 08:39 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thats awesome.. I think The D-90 Source needs one of those for a flagship truck.

Man that would be sweet. Who do I have to sleep with to get that to happen?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 20th, 2003, 07:48 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Hmmm:
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=04593777

Gotta love reporters that get the facts wrong. Still, it brings about some hope if your willing to run the guantlet of state and federal agencies. And I'm sure they would sky-jack that price...

But it makes me drool all the same.

Old December 1st, 2003, 04:54 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Be seated before you read this one!

http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=42903
Old December 1st, 2003, 05:04 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Thumbs up Holy $hit!

Wooo-HOoooo!!!!

Well, I guess the next question is... is this going to happen?

Glenn
Old December 1st, 2003, 05:38 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Sounds great that they are going to reintroduce the Defender. Only thing that worries me is what the price is going to be. LRNA knows these things are going to be hotter than a $3 pistol, so they are going to jack the MSRP WAY up, I am sure. I am not sure what it would do to the market on NAS 94-97 trucks. I imagine that it would kill the value on the 93 110's. Oh well, guess my 300tdi conversion won't even be worth what the parts cost. Just kidding, it will be to me.

Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat