Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 17th, 2004, 01:00 PM
mlepisto
Mika
Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by Tawayama
Yeah, I even have the long hair too (can't grow a beard though to save my life).
From what I've seen, that usually changes when your long hair stops growing. When the top of the head goes bald, beards grow a lot easier - just another revenge of old age! Glad I'm no where close!

Mika
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2004, 04:00 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Mika

Was your Defender out at Ships a while ago? If so, how's that TD5 run compaired to the V8 in your old Defender?

DJ
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:08 PM
mlepisto
Mika
Defender

Yeah, I was having the engine & injector wiring harness replaced. I guess that's a "known issue" with the early Td5, that I didn't know about until it happened.

I like the Td5 quite a bit. Overall, given the choice I would pick 300tdi just for the simplicity, but no major complaints.

V8 has its benefits too, like it warms up a whole lot faster in the mornings, and has a pretty good usable power band. I'm trying to convince my wife into a 90 SW so I can have both!

Mika
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2004, 10:09 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Exclamation News from LRNA

Ok, so here is what I have heard so far from sources at LRNA...

- the Discovery in name alone is being dropped from the LR stable. We should see the new re-designed Disco some time in November of 2005. I also heard that LRNA is increasing the price point of the car another 5-10K.

- I DID see what looked to be the new Range Stormer driving past me into Leadville, CO last week. LR is conducting some high altitude testing of the vehicle en route to the desert. It was silver and some areas of the truck were still covered in tape. I knew it was the Range Stormer because it was followed by a couple of Discos and Range Rovers. The Range Stormer or Baby Range Rover (whatever it was) will be priced in the 55K range (between the Disco and the Range Rover).

- LRNA has confirmed that the Defender will be reintroduced to the U.S. market in 2006 as an assembled vehicle and not a CKD kit car. I guess they ran into some problems regarding safety issues, assembly, and warranties...and decided to scrap the kit concept. Let's pray that Ford does not F@&K it up!

- LRNA is also stating that FORD wants them to grow their line to 7 total vehicles. I was really unhappy when I heard this...no one dilutes a brand quicker than FORD.

It is pretty amazing what you can learn from someone in a 10 minute ride up the high speed quad at Beaver Creek!
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

"LRNA has confirmed that the Defender will be reintroduced to the U.S. market in 2006 as an assembled vehicle and not a CKD kit car. I guess they ran into some problems regarding safety issues, assembly, and warranties...and decided to scrap the kit concept. "

How many times are we going to hear this myth? I'll give credence to this when I see the capital expenditures going into a prototype vehicle that is meant for production, news of Ford/LR assuming debt to redo the Defender line at the plant, and actual photos. Funny how all these LRNA officals provide this info yet there is no concrete evidence to support it.

These rumours have become a tragic comedy IMHO. When I can go to a dealer and test drive a truck, I will believe it.

EwS
Old February 29th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Ok Brian.

Name your source.
Old February 29th, 2004, 03:52 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:35 AM
EuroCarNut
Karl C.

Actually, there is a blurb in today's Car Connection Daily Report for March 1, in the "World Report: Brazil" section, the states that:

"The planned export of the veteran, aluminum-bodied SUV Land Rover Defender to the U.S. might take longer than expected. The company's engineering center in England must first work to make it comply with US emissions and safety requirements. The vehicle produced in São Bernardo do Campo, SP must undergo several changes, among them the fitting of the airbags not foreseen for the version produced in the country - Fernando Calmon"

The link to the article is: http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=173&n=156
Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:52 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

I think if Ford can keep the factory together and continue building Defenders for the big clients especially, we'll have new Defenders here within a few years, with air bags, etc.

I can see a Ford exec in there...

"The Defender doesn't have air bags?"

"Nay, them's feer poets n panzies sir."

"Like an Excursion you mean?"

"Aye"

"Well, could we put them on there?"

"Dain't need em."

"Well then we might have to lay you off and everyone in the Soily Hill plant. Can you see about putting an airbag in there please?"

"Aye. But, she'll wee ten paends more."
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:27 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by EuroCarNut
The vehicle produced in São Bernardo do Campo, SP must undergo several changes, among them the fitting of the airbags not foreseen for the version produced in the country
A year an a half ago, LR spokeperson said that the Defender redesign was not planned until 2006 and that had a great chance of getting pushed back to 2010 if sales remain the way they were. Not enough $$ to make it worth while to adjust everything to accomidate US sales. Ford also spent a bunch of $$ looking into what it could do to equip the current Defender with an air bag system to bring it in faster in an effort to anwser to the Rubicon market. That too turned out not too be cost efficient because of the huge number of Defender sales they deemed they would have to in order to make the retrofit effort payoff.

It would be nice to get a straight answer. Being this elusive about whats going on with the Defender servers no point. Are they waiting in the shadows positioning themselves to pounce in a swift 2- 4 years? The boat is already missed. Jeep Rubicons are everywhere now and I just keep seeing more and more of them on the road.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Wicks, you made my day! Wish we could say that conversation actually happened.

Doug
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:33 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I posted elsewhere in here over as month ago that I have direct access to a high-level LRNA employee that stated , clearly, that there will be no Defender for the US. Period.

Not third person or anything...right from the source.

It was said that it wasn't worth the $$$ to get it US compliant, and international demand for it is already expected to far outstrip supply.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

I happened to catch Motor Week on Sunday and the "Jeep" is being redesigned, slightly bigger and with a full hard top version, to be made as both a 2 door and a 4 door (can you say 110). The thing that really caught my attention was, are you sitting down for this one? It will be available with a Cummings diesel. We'll have wait and see if it really happens.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:57 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

It just doesn't make sense to me, the rest of the world can't get enough of them and they can't afford to send them here with the needed alterations. Even if they are more expensive,

That said, I don't think we will ever see them here.

Maybe that's what happens when you do everything by commitee.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:23 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
The thing that really caught my attention was, are you sitting down for this one? It will be available with a Cummings diesel. We'll have wait and see if it really happens
And the Diesel takeover continues. Wait till everybody gets a hold of the new mercedes Diesel that is going into the Grand Cherokee!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:47 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

72% of the vehicular air pollution in LA is created by diesel buses and trucks.

Methanol.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ride a bike
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally posted by rover4x4
ride a bike
And maybe for helping the "lifestyle" thing LR could sell bikes at their centers. With a flashlight, pocketknife and first aid kit, it would be perfect for looking off-road while working on the love handles.

Jokes aside, why doesn't LRNA take deposits for Defenders with US specs. Just like when high end cars come in limited runs, they take deposits for a few years then build them.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
72% of the vehicular air pollution in LA is created by diesel buses and trucks
Thats why I upped my fuel and boost, just to smoke a little more! But seriously, nope, most pollution comes from manufacturing, not transportation. But while we are on the subject, I gotta let at least a few people in on a little secret that nobody really talks about:

People forget completely that the refining process for fossil fuels is basically a controlled burn off. Oil refining is responsible for massive amounts of pollution. I have figures but do not want to take the time to go get them. Gas is refined far past Diesel, meaning, 10 gallons of diesel might be refined into one gallon of 92 octane. This is not the right number, but it shows the point. Add that to the fact that there is much more "energy" available in Diesel, i.e. one gallon of Diesel will take you 1.5 as far as a gallon of Gas.

Now if you compare the pollutants to one gallon of Diesel compared to one gallon of gas right at the tail pipe, then yes, there are more pollutants. But if you compare the ACTUAL pollution of gas burned over a mile, compared to the ACTUAL pollution of Diesel over that same mile, driving a Diesel is WAY more Environmentally responsible than driving a car, and I do mean WAY! So, all you non smokers out there owe us Diesel drivers a big apology. Go ahead, I am waiting.

(ok, rant over)

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:43 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

So we have to be envious and apologetic?

EwS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat