Defender Returns to North America Merged Threadfest - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
how can j**p's do it. theydont seem to have all the prerequisite "zones" pillars etc. And what about some of the compact cars those cant possibly be any safer than any of the Defenders. well maybe the airbags..
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:24 PM
tbmcneill

that's interesting about the tariff. the 6k lb bit is the only part of what i wrote that's heresay. it was my understanding that they avoided 5mph bumpers and, in '97, side impact beams due to a GVWR 6k lb commercial vehicle rule .... which i can't find to quote

as for TJs, they do have all the necessary 'stuff' ... 5mph bumpers, side impact beams, shoulder belts front and rear, aie bags, etc. Crumple zones aren't a requirement.
T
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:40 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
IF jeep can do it, I don't see how hard it would be for LR to get the defender up to specs. THe Jeep doors are just as flimsy and they have side beams??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Maybe i am wrong but on some of the early 94's didnt they have some sort of side impact bar built into the rear cage?? I am sure this is valid. As for air bags how hard could they be? well understood the complications of sensors etc. seems it would be easy to just put a disco air bag equipped wheel and well the passenger side may take more imagination.. why could the buyer just sign some disclaimer saying they wont hold rover responsible for not putting air bags....

It would be cool to have the 4.6 from the DISCOII in the D minus the ETC ABS HDC THC LSD OBDII blah blah blah blah who knows where the future of the Defender is headed.....
Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't think air bags work to well anyway. My brother was involved in an accident that totaled his car, it was near head on the air-bag never deployed. The someone at work hit a guard rail from the rear and then spun around and smashed head on into another guard rail and totaled the car, again the air-bag did not deploy. Both cars were made in 98, and both were import compacts. If either one was in my 90 they would have driven away.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:10 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally posted by rover4x4
Maybe i am wrong but on some of the early 94's didnt they have some sort of side impact bar built into the rear cage?? I am sure this is valid.
Yup, they sure do. I was talking about this very thing at lunch today with a friend of mine that owns one also. Mine(#491) has these bars along the sides. His doesn't. They run just under the sills along the sides of the rear tub. I assumed they all had them. He was surprised to see them when he rode in it a couple of weeks ago.

I've attached a pic for those that are curious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bar.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	150  
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:37 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

Smile

Surely you're not suggesting coconuts migrate
Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:52 AM
tbmcneill

those side bars were originally put in there to accomodate stateside-installed inward facing seats in the convertibles to comply some NHTSA regs, but it was my understanding (another hearsay) that even with the bars NHTSA wouldn't approve the inward facing seats for the convertibles. since LR already had the 1st 90s built for them, thats the way they came. the later ones have the cage most everyone else is used to....

for some reason, the wagons didn't require them.
T
Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:17 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Sean, Not at all. They could be carried.

My 90 does not have the side bars.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:48 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally posted by tbmcneill
those side bars were originally put in there to accomodate stateside-installed inward facing seats in the convertibles to comply some NHTSA regs, but it was my understanding (another hearsay) that even with the bars NHTSA wouldn't approve the inward facing seats for the convertibles. since LR already had the 1st 90s built for them, thats the way they came. the later ones have the cage most everyone else is used to....
Ahhh, so that explains it. I was up in Boulder over the weekend picking up a hardtop and the guy I bought it from had two 94s. One had the bars and the other didn't.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:56 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

So back to Brazilian Defenders. What happens if we discuss the most recent UK Defender on the market AND then add in US spec.s. Can Brazil do this and why is Ford using Brazil?
To reintroduce the Defender, honestly, the Jeep is the US benchmark by which Ford will develop or evolve a new US Defender. Side impact bars, and all that are easily modeled on the computer. Production cost is the issue. Air bags (which I do not like) are law so fit them. Christ they can lift them from the Ford F150 or disco as someone stated. But for me, the question is ---
How much can Ford F*#k with the capability of the D-90 or 110 before you loose interest? Ford did miss with the "reinvented" Thunderbird which they just pulled I believe.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 03:06 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

I'd guess cheaper labor and supplies.

"Would it help to confuse it if we run away more?"
pwc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 03:13 PM
Seanh
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda

Mike,

A five ounce bird can't carry a 12 ounce coconut!!
Old December 3rd, 2003, 05:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
maybe you could wheel those brazilian 110's across the boarder.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 05:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what about a 5oz bird on steroids?
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:49 PM
jkatka
Jeremy Katka

I think it might be possible that the Defender 110 makes it State Side without Land Rover support. Europa imported MB Gwagens and installed a new soft dash and did the all the DOT approval. I think it cost them at the time $500k plus engineering the softdash. Now Europa is just supporting the pre 2000? Gwagens. Europa with experience may take the risk to import them and then sell them at a premium, granted DOT regulations have become a bit more strict and the cost for DOT aproval has more then likely gone up.

JK
Old December 4th, 2003, 12:16 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

SEMA 2003 Defender 110

Hey Guys -

I recently spoke with Rob at RoverAccessories in Torrance about some parts that I needed and our discussion turned towards something I thought you would be interested in....

Apparently, the Defender 110 WILL be making a North American entrance again. However, the 100s will not be sold in the dealerships, but rather as a kit that can be ordered from their parts department. RoverAccessories just put together a 110 for the SEMA show in Vegas last month. Apparently FORD was going to showcase a few Rovers and the new 110. However, Rob told me that they were so impressed with the 110 that they did not ever put their pimped out Range Rover on the floor. The 110 was the only Rover that Ford was showcasing.

The 110 comes shipped over in a large crate that includes several boxes of other unassembled components. Apparently LRNA was able to circumnavigate the safety concerns of the vehicle by selling it as a kit. In addition, LRNA dealers will not be able to assemble the vehicles. The kit will retail in the $28K to $35K range. Rob told me that assembly will run around 7K. He was also incredibly impressed with new diesel engine, soundproofing, and acoutrements of the new 110 (redesigned dash, electric, leather seats). He said that the 110 is similar to a G-500, which I hope is not the case. MBNA in my opinion completely ruined what was once a great handbuilt truck.

If you have any questions, give Rob a ring over at RoverAccessories...he can back me up and verify. I asked him about the 90s and he said that LRNA also plans on selling them as kits in a wagon version along with the 130s.

Is this good news? I'm still trying to sort it out...we shall see.

Thanks -
Brian O'Shea

Defender 110 Kit

Land Rover SEMA 2003
Old December 4th, 2003, 07:58 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Well it's definitely interesting. I think it's going to be a 'see it to believe it' type of thing. No doubt those trucks will be expensive and for companies like RA and ECR, they'll probably have a long list of buyers. I'll be intrested to see how many they actually import and build. I think your only looking at a few hundred people here who would actually buy one and build it themselves. Maybe another few thousand who would buy it and have it built. I can't see them making that 5K quota they've published. Which means that if they don't make the quota, they'll have to pull the plug perhaps. Also makes you wonder how they would compete in our market with things like the crosslander.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 4th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Peter
Oh, shut up and go and change your armour.

Sean
It could be carried by an African swallow!

Old December 4th, 2003, 08:53 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I wonder how the VIN # would work then?? Would it be a standard LR VIN if its a Kit?

Randy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat